Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'91 V6 PickUp - Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'91 V6 PickUp - Start Problems

Hey everyone ;D

Lately, my truck will randomly choose not to start. When I turn the key over, I can only hear a humming/swooshing sound. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's really annoying. I already replaced the starter and that didn't fix the problem like I hoped it would. The battery seems fine, the headlights work and so does my deck. I have an alarm installed and it could possibly be the starter kill relay, but if that were the case, I don't think it would make the humming/swooshing sound when I have the key on 'start'. I'm not quite sure why it happens only 1 out of 10 starts? Grrrrrrrrrrr......

Soooo... any suggestions? Maybe the ground cable is corroded farther than I can see under the hood? Ignition switch? Starter relay (under hood?)?

I need to fiixxxx tthhiiissss!!! AAhhhh!!!! :[

Give me some peace of mind guys! lol

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2006, 03:01 PM

sounds like the starter may be spinning but just not engaging with the flex plate, not sure though hopefully some one else can post up.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:05 PM

By the way, there is a click when I turn the key over. The humming/swooshing is while holding it in start.

Hmm, not sure what the flexplate is but I'm gussing that's a lot of work to fix.... Thx tho Fire.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:40 PM

Flex plate/flywheel same thing but its bolted to your crank shaft and it has teeth on it that when your starter spins it makes contact with the flywheel and turns the engine over, but anyways u said your starter also makes a click, sounds like its going bad should get a new one or do like i did and go to a online junk yard and i got one for 70 bucks shipped next day. not sure how hard it is to replace one on a v6 3.0 but ive change them on a 22re and my 3.4l v6 and it was easy not sure if ur mechanically inclined like i am. if u do get a new one try and stay away from the dealership, ive heard of people paying up to $270 for a new starter from Toyota, u could probably get one from a auto parts store for around $150, and post up where u live and maybe u could get some one to help u put a starter in.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:20 PM

Well I actually replaced my starter already. It wasn't very hard with my brother's help. Even with this new starter though, the problem persists.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:49 PM

do u have a oil leak some where that coving your starter in oil? my dads montero had that problem.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:25 PM

Hmm no... when I pulled the old starter out it was relatively clean. Thanks for all your help so far tho man really...

Anyone else have some suggestions?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe the flywheel is missing some teeth and not meshing with the starter gear. if the starter is clicking and spinning that is probably the case.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The humming/whooshing sound may be your fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

Simple starter test to help isolate the source of the problem:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest
Old 12-05-2006, 05:43 PM

Not a very good description of the symptoms, but it sounds like a low voltage problem. Mine does this damn near every monday morning, it's caused from listening to the radio all day sunday. Try jumping it off, if that fixes it then it is a voltage problem. If that don't fix it, it is probably the starter relay. Find and replace. It should be a green relay located directly above you left foot in the drivers seat. I may be wrong about the color.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:13 PM

mr toytech: Not sure if the flywheel is missing teeth. I would imagine it would never start if that's the case.

4crawler: Ok, I figured it was a pump or fan or something. I'll check the link out

3yotys: I know my description is horrible... a little stoney..... ;D

But yeah that's what I'm guessing now that it's one of the cables either ground or + to starter. I might rewire the whole thing and hopefully that'll fix it. When it happens and the truck actually starts, it starts real rough and I have to rev the engine to get it running smooth. Probably the fuel pump getting all backed up or whatever huh... ok...

Thanks fellas
Old 12-10-2006, 06:31 PM

Ok, so I haven't had a chance to rewire like I said I was but, today when I tried to leave for lunch at work, my truck didn't start. I got extremely pissed and tried something I read while searching posts here which said to hit the starter and see if it starts. Well, it started! The post where I read to do this said that means the contacts are no good, well WTF? I JUST replaced my starter last week! Is it possible AutoZone sold me a ĊĊĊĊty starter? Daaammmmnnnniiiiittttt!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM

HAVING SAME PROBLEM I WORK FOR ADVANCE, JUST REPLACED IT WITH OUR REMAN LIFETIME I'M GOING TO REPLACE MY STARTER RELAY BEFORE I DEFECT MINE OUT. AUTOZONE WONT LIST THE RELAY YOU WILL HAVE TO PULL IT AND BRING IT TO THE STORE SO THEY CAN CROSS THE PART #... B.T.W. ADVANCE IS BETTER:xmas6:
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Do this simple test first, see where the problem is:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

And yes, a reman starter is likely often just cleaned and painted, at least from what I have seen.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:14 AM

if you whack your starter and it works it means your solenoid is sticking. google is your friend! you can find a remedy for that, surely
Old 12-11-2006, 06:15 PM

Hmm, the solenoid is sticking... and to think, I'm going to school for electrical engineering... hahahaha... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll look into that. It just pisses me off that AZ sold me a ĊĊĊĊty starter.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:53 PM

No the solenoid is not sticking, it was coincidence. There is not enough voltage to power the solenoid. By the amount of "questionable" helpful info on her you will never get to the bottom of this. Lets give the new starter the benefit of the doubt. Sure some reman/rebuilds may be cheap builds, but surely they would last a couple years before solenoid problems ... they are Toyota starters after all and the rebuilders do want to stay in business.

The problems/fix was previously pointed to in a past post.

At the bottom of page below - What if its not the solenoid?
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

Or maybe take it to the dealer and they can put in a new starter $$$ and you will have the same problem in a month.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:58 PM

this is actually a common Toyota problem. Solenoids going bad, contacts getting corroded and filthy restricting flow of electricity, or even a bad starter. When mine was having this problem it would sometimes take me 6 or 7 turns before it would start to turn over. Check all of the wires going to your starter and tighten them up. My positive wire to the starter was about to fall off. There is a write up on 4x4wire about cleaning the contacts and the starter plunger. Anways, hope this helps some

Chris
Old 12-16-2006, 01:05 AM

Hey guys... another update on my ĊĊĊĊty truck... :[

Well tonight my truck refused to start when me and some buddies were leaving the bar. I had some jumper cables and tried jumping the truck. Well, it started when I tried jumping it. Could this mean my battery is bad/old?

Lately, when it doesn't start, I would go to the passenger side and bang the starter and it would start afterwards. Tonight though when I banged the starter it wouldnt start, so like I said, I jumped it and it actually started.

Again, any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks dawgs! ;D
Old 12-16-2006, 02:16 AM

Ok, have you tried the test's that 4crawler recommended? Also test all of your voltages. I had the exact same problem according to your description....and as time went buy the lack of starting got worse, yet all of my lights/electronics kept working. I finally broke down, pulled he battery and ran new cables. While the battery was out I hooked it up to a charger, just in case! I added an extra ground to he frame and now no problems.

It baffled me since I had "within range" voltages from the battery to the starter. Grounds appeared solid and good. Cables were new less than 1 year. Battery voltages 12.4V. All testes passed for voltages and the starter "bench tested" fine. Replaced the contacts of the starter, and then replaced the starter.

I refused to assume or test the obvious. Since you stated that she started fine when you jumped her, check the lines positive and your grounds. Here is what I did.

Individual jumper cables connected from the [+] to the starters "hot lead power" and then the [-] to the frame. EVERY TIME she would start. I then tried only the negative jumper....no start. I then tried only he positive...no start. I did what I said, replaced both lines and fully charged the battery...Works. under $20 in parts from Autozone and les than 1 hour to fix my starter issue. Try the jumper cables yourself and see if that works.

-=Morphine=-

Quick Reply: '91 V6 PickUp - Start Problems