86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 4Runner 22RE engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could be a possible egr problem
Old 11-17-2008, 03:33 PM

make sure that the timing is correct and use the cold start injector test mentioned above to check the fuel pressure. let us know how it goes
Old 12-20-2008, 10:46 PM

I was trying to do some work recently on mine, and check the maf sensor, I unhooked the cable a bit, forgot to rehook, I would get in, crank it over, it would run fine for about 3 seconds, then cut off. did this about 20 times, so I decided to check and see if I missed anything. Sure enough the maf cable was loose, put it back on, and started right up.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for your input... although about a month too late.

sorry... don't mean to be crass, but please check the date on the thread or post you are replying too... or at least read the thread to see if the problem was resolved.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 PM

I did, I just wanted to throw that in there, in case someone forgets to do the
same thing I did.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah....I like to do that to. I know what abe is saying, but it occurred to me one day that someone could stumble upon a particular thread in a search related to a problem they may having and find info that was added at a later date that may clarify or add to the fix. Easier/maybe better alternative to starting a whole 'nother thread for just a tad bit of helpful info.

I've left the AFM a little loose..... and even unplugged before, too. Threw me for a loop.

Last edited by thook; 12-23-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let me apologize again if I sounded rude or crass. I tend to err on the side of people and many don't usually use the search function without being hounded relentlessly, and rarely browse through the forums even, since they find it too much of a bother and want instant gratification. How many times have you seen someone post a question and then 'bump' it an hour or two later? ...and there's a thread half-way down the front page that addresses exactly what the problem may be....

Anyhow... I'm surprised the truck would run if the AFM was disconnected seeing as how it triggers the COR to run the fuel pump. Must be an ozark phenomenon.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:15 AM

Still Need Help

Well to cover what I have done. I have spent around $1,500.00 and still having issue. New fuel filter, alternator, speed sensor, TPS, fuel pump, plugs, wires, distributor, ignition coil, ECU, O2 sensor, and checked Mass Air Flow Sensor. Has been to shop with Mechanic who has been working on yotas for 30 years. To start with it was throwing codes 21, 25, 26, 41, 42. These were resolved with TPS and O2 sensor. No codes being thrown now. While codes were being thrown I noticed the O/D light would blink from time to time. On another post I relized that the ECT was showing a trouble code. That has since stopped blinking. Now I can get in the 4runner and drive for a while with no problem. Then it shows up. If I stay easy on the gas I can keep up my speed. Once on a hill and I have to give gas it starts to cut out. I can pull over and unplug ECU and sit for about three minutes and replug and get back up to 60 mph if easy on throttle. Any ideas. In this for the long haul, but getting worn out.

Thanks, Eddie
Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 AM

Still Need Help

Well to cover what I have done. I have spent around $1,500.00 and still having issue. New fuel filter, alternator, speed sensor, TPS, fuel pump, plugs, wires, distributor, ignition coil, ECU, O2 sensor, and checked Mass Air Flow Sensor. Has been to shop with Mechanic who has been working on yotas for 30 years. To start with it was throwing codes 21, 25, 26, 41, 42. These were resolved with TPS and O2 sensor. No codes being thrown now. While codes were being thrown I noticed the O/D light would blink from time to time. On another post I relized that the ECT was showing a trouble code. That has since stopped blinking. Now I can get in the 4runner and drive for a while with no problem. Then it shows up. If I stay easy on the gas I can keep up my speed. Once on a hill and I have to give gas it starts to cut out. I can pull over and unplug ECU and sit for about three minutes and replug and get back up to 60 mph if easy on throttle. Any ideas. In this for the long haul, but getting worn out.

Thanks, Eddie
Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 PM

have you resolved your issue yet....I would like to know what the outcome is if any
Dwayne
Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Well I have resolved issue. It was a long and costly repair. Took to two dealers with no resolve and they were stumped and started throwing parts at it. ECU, Speedo Sensor, Fuel Pump and the list goes on. I ended up learning a lot, which works out well when I'm on the trail. I set up three switches in the cab. 1st for pulling the check engine codes, 2nd for resetting the ECU for clearing the codes, and 3rd for bypassing the mass air flow sensor as to turn on the fuel pump if that sensor goes bad. The mass air flow sensor activates the fuel pump, so if it goes no running truck. With these switches in place I could run my checks from in the cab without disconnecting the ECU / Battery and using a jumper wire for checking the engine codes. I ended up tracking the issue the the Mass Air Flow Sensor temperture sensor. I ended up figuring out that it was having the issue at a certain temp. The mecanic would fix in AM and let me know I could pick it up. When I got there mid day it was cutting out. I took truck home and began my work. The temp sensor is located in the air inlet chamber and is surrounded with a plastic tube with a small hole in it. That hole had dirt in it and was causing a false reading. Solution - (1) used tooth brush with a can of Mass Air Sensor cleaner from Napa. Cleaned out the hole and no more issues. My fix and solution was less than $10.00. I spent over $3,000.00 with the mecanics. They were good mecanics as well, no knock on them. Just a really odd situation and very hard to find.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ebrown3rd
Well I have resolved issue. It was a long and costly repair. Took to two dealers with no resolve and they were stumped and started throwing parts at it. ECU, Speedo Sensor, Fuel Pump and the list goes on. I ended up learning a lot, which works out well when I'm on the trail. I set up three switches in the cab. 1st for pulling the check engine codes, 2nd for resetting the ECU for clearing the codes, and 3rd for bypassing the mass air flow sensor as to turn on the fuel pump if that sensor goes bad. The mass air flow sensor activates the fuel pump, so if it goes no running truck. With these switches in place I could run my checks from in the cab without disconnecting the ECU / Battery and using a jumper wire for checking the engine codes. I ended up tracking the issue the the Mass Air Flow Sensor temperture sensor. I ended up figuring out that it was having the issue at a certain temp. The mecanic would fix in AM and let me know I could pick it up. When I got there mid day it was cutting out. I took truck home and began my work. The temp sensor is located in the air inlet chamber and is surrounded with a plastic tube with a small hole in it. That hole had dirt in it and was causing a false reading. Solution - (1) used tooth brush with a can of Mass Air Sensor cleaner from Napa. Cleaned out the hole and no more issues. My fix and solution was less than $10.00. I spent over $3,000.00 with the mecanics. They were good mecanics as well, no knock on them. Just a really odd situation and very hard to find.

Hope this helps!
that is Great!..you found your problem...superb troubleshooting...that sucks that you had to spend 3grand on nothing....sounds like me
do you have instructions on how to install the switches?...any pics of them