Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Overheats when climbing hills

Old 06-27-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22re Overheats when climbing hills

I have a rebuilt 22re with about 10,000 miles on it in an 89 4runner. Entirely new cooling system. New water pump with engine swap, new heavy duty radiator from LCE Performance (significantly larger than stock radiator), electric fan that pushes 1500 CFM, new radiator hoses, and Toyota OEM dual stage thermostat. Engine runs very cool when driving through town, sitting in traffic, or on the highway. I have my timing set to 5 degrees BTDC with the diagnostic terminals crossed. I can run it in low 4WD at high RPMs all day if I'm on a level surface and have no issues, but as soon as I try to climb a hill, the temperature shoots up almost into the red and takes a while to cool down. The water pump was a cheaper one from Autozone and the impellers seemed kinda small, I thought that might be my problem. Haven't tried a different water pump yet. I also noticed that my engine would cool down much faster while I was sitting still with the stock clutch fan, vs the electric fan. Maybe the electric fan doesn't push enough air? Ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:09 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
i saw a post the other day where someone with overheating problems had mounted the electric fan backwards, lol

the stock system only gave me trouble at long periods of idling on a really hot day, never on the freeway, and that got fixed by replacing the fan clutch.

are you measuring temps with the factory dash gauge?
Old 06-27-2015, 09:29 PM

Yes I am using the factory dash gauge. It can sit and idle all day long with no problems.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're probably not getting enough flow from the fans. The best electric fans I've encountered are off of the Ford Taurus, Lincoln MK8, and Mustang SN95 fans but they consume alot of juice. People with performance V8's like them but some end up removing them because they create too much demand for an older 61amp alternator and they need to upgrade to a 100+ amp unit.

There's also some good dual electric fans with lower amp requirements but they're likely too long to fit.
Ford V-6 Contours from 1995 through 2000, Six-cylinder '99-'02 Mercury Cougars and Mystiques
1999 Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring

Even though it'll mean loosing a little power I'd put the stock fan, fan clutch and fan shroud back on.
For piece of mind you could add a toggle switch activated single electric to the front.

Last edited by Odin; 06-28-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Put a stock clutch fan back on to it and be done with the electric fan issue.
My truck did the same thing when I tried the Taurus fan swap a few years ago. Idle was fine, driving was fine, as soon as I hit a hill, temp went up quick. I put the stock clutch fan and shroud back on and all the issues went away. The little power gain by not spinning the stock fan (which I never noticed anyway) was not worth the time and money that would be needed to replace a head gasket from overheating.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have never had anything but trouble with electric fans

.I can see having a electric fan if you also have the electric water pump for added cooling with the engine shut off.

Like was said is the fan pulling air through the radiator not trying to push it out.

Then electric fans just love to fail at the worst time.

They sure look neat at the Mall.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:23 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
what if there is a fan problem when the truck is on the freeway.

i would test the fan cooling capacity by hardwiring it at full voltage, then see how it's cooling on the freeway.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Same issue here. I limped along a villager e fan for a few years and it always struggled to cool enough at high load and speed.

I reverted back to the mechanical fan with a new aisin clutch.
Last week I was running 70mph, 4th gear, full throttle up mountain interstates, AC blasting, and my aftermarket gauge never went over 220F. The mech fan just has way more cooling power.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:43 AM

I'll get a new clutch and put the stock fan back on. I won't really be able to tell if it solved my problem until I hit the trails again. Since it only heated up when climbing hills on the trail. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Robert m
My truck did the same thing when I tried the Taurus fan swap a few years ago. Idle was fine, driving was fine, as soon as I hit a hill, temp went up quick.

If it was the Taurus fan you probably got one with a worn out motor (Remember these fans are as old as some of our trucks, bound to get worn out at some point) or it was wired so that the fast/high mode never came on. There have also been some reports of electric fans not working well with 3 core radiators. Those fans are/were swapped to cool V8's over 400 hp alot.

In any case I'm sure you know that they still have to have a good shroud that covers the whole radiator to work well. I've seen guys run electric fans without a shroud and complain. Amusing

Last edited by Odin; 06-28-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Put the stock clutch fan back in and burped th radiator as well. Went for a drive and it seemed to run a little cooler. No problems idling, or at speed. I'll give it a real test if I hit the trails next weekend.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Odin
If it was the Taurus fan you probably got one with a worn out motor (Remember these fans are as old as some of our trucks, bound to get worn out at some point) or it was wired so that the fast/high mode never came on. There have also been some reports of electric fans not working well with 3 core radiators. Those fans are/were swapped to cool V8's over 400 hp alot.

In any case I'm sure you know that they still have to have a good shroud that covers the whole radiator to work well. I've seen guys run electric fans without a shroud and complain. Amusing

Nope, the motor looked new when I got it from the junkyard and installed it but, I actually bought a new replacement motor once it started to give me problems and it still had the same issue.
Nope, I had both speeds wired up. One came on with the coolant temp and the other when the A/C was on. I even switched the high and low speed around on the controller to see if I might have had them backwards but it didn't help.
Nope, stock 2 core radiator.
I had the full Taurus shroud in place and it covered the entire radiator. I even put a foam strip around the edge to help seal it. That shroud probably sealed better then the original one I have now thats cracked and missing the bottom piece.

Last edited by Robert m; 06-28-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:22 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I agree with getting stock fan and fan clutch. (I just replaced my old fan clutch and now I do not see temp gage climb when I'm climbing a hill). See thread on testing fan clutch.

The Truck Shop in San Diego rebuilt my Engine. Owner used to race 22R-E's in Baja so he knows his 22R-E. He believes, and I agree, that Electric fan is good when you want performance, while fan clutch is better for reliability - i.e., Electric better if you compete and you can afford to inspect/replace before each race, while stock fan clutch is better when you want reliability for 20 years.

Also, why all the upgraded cooling components, then settle for a downgraded water pump?
Old 06-29-2015, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Robert m
Nope
Nope
Nope
Shortened that a bit lol

Your situation leaves me scratching my head.
I just don't understand how a little 22re could use that much airflow and still not be satisfied.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I agree with getting stock fan and fan clutch. (I just replaced my old fan clutch and now I do not see temp gage climb when I'm climbing a hill). See thread on testing fan clutch.

The Truck Shop in San Diego rebuilt my Engine. Owner used to race 22R-E's in Baja so he knows his 22R-E. He believes, and I agree, that Electric fan is good when you want performance, while fan clutch is better for reliability - i.e., Electric better if you compete and you can afford to inspect/replace before each race, while stock fan clutch is better when you want reliability for 20 years.

Also, why all the upgraded cooling components, then settle for a downgraded water pump?
When I dropped the new engine in I wasn't worried about upgrades at the time. I just needed my truck back lol, and I didnt want to wait a week to get one from online. So I settled for the cheap one from autozone. Now I've started to add upgrades and I want to get a street water pump from LCE, but just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by noahstancik
When I dropped the new engine in I wasn't worried about upgrades at the time. I just needed my truck back lol, and I didnt want to wait a week to get one from online. So I settled for the cheap one from autozone. Now I've started to add upgrades and I want to get a street water pump from LCE, but just haven't gotten around to it.
I see. Why not just OEM? Nothing's wrong with the OEM water pump.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:03 AM

From their own description the LCE Street Water Pump sounds like it's probably the stock Toyota pump.

"When rebuilding your engine or replacing the timing chain, it is always a good idea to include a new water pump. We have the highest quality Toyota water pumps in stock all of which are new OEM quality Japanese-manufactured (Nissan or Aisin) pumps, not cheap Chinese rebuilds. Water pump gasket will be included with the pump. Don't be left stranded or damage your new or rebuilt engine because of a simple water pump."
Old 07-09-2015, 04:08 PM

Sorry its taken me so long to reply, I've been busy lately and haven't gotten on Yotatech. I hit the trails over 4th of July weekend and the truck did noticeably better, but the temperature still shoots up when I'm running high RPMs to climb hills and it pings like crazy. I guess I'll try a better water pump. I agree with Odin, the LCE and OEM are probably the same water pump. However, thats not my concern at the moment. I now have a lot of body damage to fix thanks to a guy who couldn't control his jeep and a 12 yr old kid that wasn't paying attention while driving a RZR. Time for more body work....
Attached Thumbnails 22re Overheats when climbing hills-20150704_190401.jpg   22re Overheats when climbing hills-20150704_200859.jpg  

Last edited by noahstancik; 07-09-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:25 PM

Wow sorry to hear about the body damage. Hope it wasn't a daily driver. It just doesn't pay off doing that stuff with your daily drivers.

You might try the Toyota 180 thermostat (Kuzeh brand) to help out the pinging issue a bit.
It's not the two stage one that everybody likes so it may do a little morning temperature overshoot on you.
Toyota P/N: 90916-03083

Last edited by Odin; 07-09-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:18 AM

It stays plenty cool when I'm driving around anywhere else and it doesn't ping, it normally runs at about 160 or 170. It only heats up when I'm running high RPMs at low speed, like 10 MPH