Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 Toyota pickup still not starting!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 Toyota pickup still not starting!!

So I posted this yesterday, but have eliminated some more stuff, so if anyone could please please help!!!
bear with me here, its gona be a little long
So for about a year now my 1988 Toyota 4x4 22re pickup has every now and then not been starting. This happened perhaps once a month, then about once a week, and now it is every time I try and start it.
What is happening is when I turn the key, with or without the safety cancel for the clutch, all the electrical works, I can hear the starter engaging as well as the fuel pump, but the truck doesn't start, It Wont Even Turn Over.
Now sometimes when I just sit there holding the key it will suddenly start after a little while, or sometimes it won't. Sometimes I can start it by push starting it (although it might just be coincidence), and sometimes that doesn't work either.
I had an extra starter when down and got it tested, it worked fine, put it in, didn't change a thing
Put in my extra coil, didn't change a thing
Re-stripped the wires going to my battery terminal, as well as cleaned that, didn't help
bypassed the circuit for the safety cancel and little button that the clutch pedal pushes by connecting those two wires, which again didn't work.
Replaced Relays in the drivers kicker panel, and that didnt help
I know its not the fuel pump, because after I do end up getting the thing started after several attempts, the engine is flooded
Now one thing I have thought is that the prob could be the flywheel, but that makes no sense because sometimes after it won't start, I will try an hour or so later, with out even so much as moving the truck an inch, and it will start, leaving me thinking it is an electrical problem, and also leaving me very confused.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 PM

First off, cranking [turning over] and starting are 2 different things.
Your starter simply cranks the engine [spins it].
Once it's spinning and the ECU sees it's spinning it will give fuel and spark to actually start the engine.

So, if you're having trouble getting the engine to crank forget about fuel/spark.
Focus on the starter circuitry.

Second, bench testing a starter is pretty much useless.
A marginal starter that won't always work in the truck will usually pass a bench test because the starter gets as much or more power [from the battery] and has way less work to do [only spins itself instead of an engine].

USUALLY if the starter clicks but won't crank the engine it's the battery or starter contacts.
Have your battery tested [in the vehicle], if it tests ok make sure the wiring to and from the starter is good [not just the battery ends]. Also make sure the STA wire [black? wire that clips into the starter] is ok.
If these are all good replace your starter contacts [or you could start with that, wouldn't hurt regardless].
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by alltracman78
Second, bench testing a starter is pretty much useless.
A marginal starter that won't always work in the truck will usually pass a bench test because the starter gets as much or more power [from the battery] and has way less work to do [only spins itself instead of an engine.]
+1. I have had this happen to me many times. Sometimes When you pull the starter out you turn move the connection just enough for it to work when you put it to the test.

USUALLY if the starter clicks but won't crank the engine it's the battery or starter contacts.
Have your battery tested [in the vehicle], if it tests ok make sure the wiring to and from the starter is good [not just the battery ends]. Also make sure the STA wire [black? wire that clips into the starter] is ok.
If these are all good replace your starter contacts [or you could start with that, wouldn't hurt regardless].
+1. I would also supsect the grounding. If I were you I would completely redo the ground and power connections from the battery. I currently have one ground from the battery connected to the frame and the other to the intake plenum. Great info alltracman!

Good luck!

Last edited by 93YotaGuy; 01-06-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 93YotaGuy
Great info alltracman!
Thanks

I usually run my heavy gauge ground directly to one of the starter bolts.
That will make the biggest difference in the starter circuit.

Grounding the battery to the chassis and grounding the head to the block and chassis will [may] make a difference in charging and ECU function.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In 88, all the current to engage the starter goes though the ignition switch, even if you happen to have a starter relay "factory" installed.

I'd suggest simply jumping batt voltage to the start terminal on the starter and see if the starter turns over. If so, you may need a "real" relay on the starter circuit.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Low voltage on the starter wire under load is your liely culprit...

This is a post I made on a similar thread earlier today. If you have a Volt-meter I highly suggest doing this...

Originally Posted by GroundControl
I fought an intermittent, random, never-wants-to-start-when-you-realy-need-it-to problem for a long time. I whacked it, and sometimes that worked, I would charge up the battery and sometimes that worked, I fiddled with grounds, and swapped out the starter at least 3 times, each time thinking that was the issue that was going to solve the problem... it didnt

The final solution was adding a relay to send battery power directly to the starter, using the actual starter wire as the trigger for the realy.

The test that confirmed my issue was done by using a volt-meter, conect one end of the voltmeter to the battery ground, and plug the other into the starter wire with it still attached to the starter (that way it is still hooked up to the "load" during the test). When I turned the key, and read the voltage on the meter, it showed only 8-9 volts, even with the batter at 12-13 volts. over time the wiring degrades and builds up resistance which drops the voltage on its round-about path to the actual starter.

With the relay installed, the 8-9 volts coming from the starter wire is more than enough to switch on the relay which then fires a solid 12 volts to the starter. starts every time now.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 PM

ignition swith

thanks for all the great advice and help!!
I did end up just running a wire from battery to starter and it worked, making the prob in the ignition just like abecedarian said. So i just ended up running a wire with a button to the starter and battery bypassing the whole ignition.
Thanks again for all the help and advice!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Some other possible fixes:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions