Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 Turbo 4Runner 22rte- Help with start up after sitting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Turbo 4Runner 22rte- Help with start up after sitting...

I have an 87 4runner sr5 with the turbo 22rte engine. It's been sitting for about a year while I rebuilt the turbo and did some other work. The turbo is primed and everything is back in place so I just needed some general help with starting it back up. So this is my plan, please give any suggestions and let me know where I can find some of these things, I don't have a manual.

-Remove shield and drain fuel tank using drain hole, refill with good gas...should I add some stabil to also treat the bad gas still in there?

-Replace fuel filter...where is it on truck and which one should I get from auto parts store for 22rte?

-Remove fuel line before rail and start fuel pump to clear out lines...where is best place to remove fuel line to do this?

-Pull pump fuse and turn over engine to get oil flowing thru turbo. Plug fuse back in and start it up.

Does that sound about right? Any help is appreciated I'm hoping to have her back on the road by tomorrow evening.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM

So I'm to the point where I'm trying to start up but it's not cranking. Tested starter connections and also tried to jump it and whack it with a mallet so I think it's out even though it's rebuilt.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 AM

Also, where does the o2 sensor plug into harness on turbo 4runner. I have my o2 sensor unplugged and can't find any place where it would plug into.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuyota
1.) should I add some stabil to also treat the bad gas still in there?

2.) Replace fuel filter...where is it on truck and which one should I get from auto parts store for 22rte?

3.) Remove fuel line before rail and start fuel pump to clear out lines...where is best place to remove fuel line to do this?

4.) Pull pump fuse and turn over engine to get oil flowing thru turbo. Plug fuse back in and start it up.
1.) Stabilizer won't do anything for gasoline that is already stale.
2.) It might be on the passenger-side firewall like newer trucks. I'm really just guessing. When in doubt, follow the fuel lines.
3.) I would pull the return line so the rail gets flushed out too.
4.) Not a bad idea.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 AM

Yeah I figured out those things. I'm at the point of start up but starter is not going even though it tested to have power signal when key turns, so that's now my roadblock before I start er up.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Can you hear the starter relay clicking when turning the key? Make sure you have the brown wire connected to the starter. I made that mistake once. I would pull the starter and have it tested so as to see if it is actually starter or in the starting circuit.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 AM

I'm doing this on my own so can't be by starter when key is turned. In the cab when I turn key everything is normal and something clicks in right kick panel area and I hear gas pump, but nothing from starter. I tested for power at the big red wire and then tested for power signal at the little black wire and I got power to that when I turned key. Then I left key in on position and tried to jump starter by plugging in hot wire to the black receptacle and banged on it with a mallet. Nothing at all. It's a rebuilt denso unit that I only put a few thousand miles on but it's been sitting for a year. It looks like only two screws holding it on so I guess my only option is to pull it and test it.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Hopefully you got a lifetime warranty on your starter. They are notoriously bad (in my experience) and have had to replace mine about once every 6 months once replaced the original because the solenoid sticks on.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:44 PM

I had the work done by a shop almost two years ago, they are checking to see what warranty it had.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey OP.....

I'm pretty sure my buddy, Terry, is speaking of the starter relay .....which is 'in the engine bay'.... Should be on the passenger side, toward the rear. Mine says, clearly, 'Starter Relay' right on it. You have a turbo, and while the injectors might be different(not sure on that, think so)... the Starter relay should be on both our 87's. That CAN blow, while it's VERY rare...

And, as Terry also mentioned... the brown plug... that's a very common one that people forget or that never got plugged in til it 'clicks' or that the 'click' portion breaks off, ...and thus, it wont make contact cuz it's not in all the way(vibrated out, etc.)

The 02 connector might be different on your 87 RTEC, compared to my 87 22REC.... Does the 02 mount right in the exhaust manifold? I can't see in that picture, cuz the turbo stuff's kinda blocks that shot. If it's in the manifold, right above the collector, then the harness connector comes out of the wiring harness around the right/back corner(near where my cruise control actuator is/below and right of your Brake Master Cylinder).... Was it ever hooked up?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Far as the starter.... if it IS, in fact, just a bad starter? Go with Napa or Auto Zone or the like... they ALL offer lifetime warranty... And as you can see, it's not that difficult to get out.... I've got 159K Miles on a Kragen(before it was o-'reilly) AC Delco Starter.... If it took a dump on me, today, I could walk in and slap it on the counter and walk out with another! 60$ I'd rather have a Denso Starter, new or properly remanned... But would it be lifetime? Like I said, I know some people have issues with starters... But I've had 6 4Runners and only had to replace one in around 1,000,000 miles of them combined. I've ALWAYS used Kragen... But now, not happy with the parts they're using(some of them)... so I stick with AutoZone... Same Guarantee.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the Turbo Exhaust manifold is LARGELY different from the stock 22REC.... But just for the heck of it... Here's my manifold and stock 02 Location>>>

here's where my 02 Sensor Harness Connector is located>>>

See how it comes out of the harness? On mine, the factory single wire connector is the YELLOW one in the picture plugging into the Denso Aftermarket GRAY plug for the 02.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-21-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM

I found a cut wire on the harness for the O2 sensor right in between the intake mani and valve cover. Soldered in some wire and connector so now o2 should be good. Still working on starter. It's a rebuilt one from about 1.5 years ago so I'm checking on any warranty. That brown plug is in secure with dielectric grease and checked for getting power when key turns. All things point to the starter at this point.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 PM

Ahhh, yep, sure sounds like it, NU! Seriously hope it's covered/warrantied
Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 AM

Got her up and running. I kept messing around with the starter and I was able to hotwire jump to start the engine. Runs fine and starts with key fine now. Gonna finish up a few small things then she should be back on the road by this evening. Sweet
Old 06-23-2012, 11:16 AM

Great news, NUYota Congratz!