Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 4runner idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well as previously stated the R and RE heads are interchangeable, as far as the block having castings.. its either gonna be casted or stamped, i have never had to look on a toyota block to find one but im positive that there is a SN# or Production number on the block. my first guess would be down near the lip of the oil pan near the starter or on the back of the block below the head. (common places i have found them on industrial diesel engines at my work)
Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
considering the main difference between the early and late 22r's was the deck height:
http://www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/TechNote48.htm
Old 10-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread brings a question to mind. A friend of a friend (yeah I know where this is going to end up) just bought an 85 SFA with a 22re in it and he's having some issues at the parts house trying to get pieces so he can pass emissions. The parts guys are saying that the 85 22re and the 86 22re are different. Now does that mean that the OP's 22r could also be a late model varied version of the series and thus cause issues with swapping in the EFI components to it?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 PM

yes the emissions equipment does vairy.. year to year and state to state.. i know my 85 was a california truck (vacume lines galore) and me and a friend compaired it to his 85 4runner that was originaly from here in oregon.. and wow... it looked like we had totaly differnt engines. i beleve the hayes service manual for the 85s have a diagram and break down of each different emission package
Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 PM

emissions could conceivably even be different within the same state and same year. factories do rolling changes all the time when they figure out the latest cost-cutting measure.
I keep asking myself why there are 3 different ignitors for a 88 22re 4runner and why I have to have the most expensive one.

as for the 85 in the OP's truck, yeah it could be an early 85 which could be the same as the 84, or it may not be. saying 85 does not mean everything's in the clear. do you think toyota said "screw all these left over engines and from 85 forward these new ones will go in"?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
do you think toyota said "screw all these left over engines and from 85 forward these new ones will go in"?
No but I wish they would have said "Damn we have one more straight axle and some new turbo motor sitting here! Lets throw em in that white 86 and get it out of here". Then I have the best of all worlds......
Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Although I am unsure how hard this would be have you thought about dropping this motor in in place of the 22r that you're having problems with? I need to add here that I am a total newb to these things and don't really know if this would solve your problems.

Oh and just to get my head straight on this.... the PO had a bad HG on a 22re (that came factory with the vehicle you have now) and after replacing the HG the timing aparatus failed. Then he replaced the re with an r motor and swaped the EFI stuff over? I would think that replacing the timing stuff would have been easier although I haven't tried that myself.

Also you need to take Abe with a grain of salt. He has so much Toyota knowledge in his head that when he sneezes OEM gear oil shoots out. *grin*
that thought has crossed my mind but it would hopefully be easier to try and solve the problem rather than just give up on it. i would like to keep the other motor as a spare or sell it if someone needs it, also i injured my left hand and cant use it too much right now so a motor swap into a dail driver would be pretty hard for me at this point. with the parts truck that i pulled the motor from we just cut the front clip off and pulled it out ( it wasnt really THAT easy but im sure you get it ) also how do you do multi quotes in a response? i cant seem to figure that out and it would make life easier when i reply since im getting a bunch of good questions/replies right now

thanks
jason
Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 PM

if you look at the bottom right of each post, there is the 'quote' button, then the one with the quotation marks in it. if you click that one, the one with the quotation marks, the button 'lights' up (the background turns red) and you can keep clicking those until you get to the last post you want to quote which you would then click on the 'quote' button.
all the posts will then fill up your editor box. you'll see them all surrounded by "quote" and "/quote" tags.

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-18-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:31 AM

if you look at the bottom right of each post, there is the 'quote' button, then the one with the quotation marks in it. if you click that one, the one with the quotation marks, the button 'lights' up (the background turns red) and you can keep clicking those until you get to the last post you want to quote which you would then click on the 'quote' button.
all the posts will then fill up your editor box. you'll see them all surrounded by "quote" and "/quote" tags.

ok cool thanks. as you said before i should try to pull the codes if there are any. how would i go about doing that?

thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 10:08 AM

write-up here: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/
and photo of the connector here: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri.../FuelPump1.jpg
find the connector circled in light blue (should be on the pass fender), using a paper clip or wire, short the two terminals together. then go into the truck and turn the key (but don't start the engine) then count the flashes of the check engine light.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:38 PM

write-up here: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/
and photo of the connector here: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri.../FuelPump1.jpg
find the connector circled in light blue (should be on the pass fender), using a paper clip or wire, short the two terminals together. then go into the truck and turn the key (but don't start the engine) then count the flashes of the check engine light.

ok will do that tomorrow. thanks again for the help

jason
Old 10-25-2008, 06:51 PM

sorry i havent gotten back on here to follow up with the suggestions left so far. i had to have emergency surgery on my arm that i injured in june due to an infection in it. back in action now and i am going to give it my best shot around the engine bay with one arm. i will get some info and post it asap

thanks