86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 4runner idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4runner idle issues

i have an 86 runner that recently has been missing a little bit during idle and when it hits 3000 rpm it hesitates pretty bad. anything below or above 3k rpm's and it runs like a top. i have tried swapping out the computer and swapping out the brake booster ( had the same issue on my 89 runner, put in another booster and issue went away ) not so lucky on this one. the engine is actually a 22r with the EFI items added to it. it has a 22r computer running it as well. can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start looking? the previous owner had reciepts for alot of new things he changed.

plugs
wires
cap
rotor

he said he replaced the timing belt and H20 pump before putting this motor in the truck.

any help would be greatly appreciated

jason
Old 10-16-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, considering an 86 22r...
...you probably don't have a timing belt, well actually you DON'T HAVE ONE

...and there is a difference between 22r and 22re engines, well rather the computer systems, so you have to elaborate more about the engine being a 22r with EFI items added. a 22r computer cannot run a 22re engine without retrofitting the 22re components including the ECU so there is something missing... even if the ECU is labeled 22r and is in a 22re chassis, it's not a 22r ECU. And I can say that with authority since my ECU is lablelled 22R even though my electronics are 22RE.

...but plugs, wires, cap and rotor are good points to start work in, but how about pulling codes from the ecu.

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-16-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 PM
kev

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vaccuum leak(s). Kev
Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
well, considering an 86 22r...
...you probably don't have a timing belt, well actually you DON'T HAVE ONE

...and there is a difference between 22r and 22re engines, well rather the computer systems, so you have to elaborate more about the engine being a 22r with EFI items added. a 22r computer cannot run a 22re engine without retrofitting the 22re components including the ECU so there is something missing... even if the ECU is labeled 22r and is in a 22re chassis, it's not a 22r ECU. And I can say that with authority since my ECU is lablelled 22R even though my electronics are 22RE.

...but plugs, wires, cap and rotor are good points to start work in, but how about pulling codes from the ecu.
chain, belt same thing when giving a description, anyhow from what the previous owner told me he bought this truck with a blown head gasket, fixed that then the chain went, he had another 85? runner with a 22r carb'd motor that he swapped in and took off the carb and added the EFI. thats all i really know at this point
Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 PM

so we're dealing with an 85,86,87? gotta know... 85 and 87 don't get along well.
22r won't deal well with a 22re setup without a head and electronics swap.

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-16-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:56 PM

Well, I left Kentucky back in '49
An' went to Detroit workin' on a 'sembly line
The first year they had me puttin' wheels on cadillacs

Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
'Cause I always wanted me one that was long and black.

One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

CHORUS
I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round.

So the very next day when I punched in
With my big lunchbox and with help from my friends
I left that day with a lunch box full of gears
Now, I never considered myself a thief
GM wouldn't miss just one little piece
Especially if I strung it out over several years.

The first day I got me a fuel pump
And the next day I got me an engine and a trunk
Then I got me a transmission and all of the chrome
The little things I could get in my big lunchbox
Like nuts, an' bolts, and all four shocks
But the big stuff we snuck out in my buddy's mobile home.

Now, up to now my plan went all right
'Til we tried to put it all together one night
And that's when we noticed that something was definitely wrong.

The transmission was a '53
And the motor turned out to be a '73
And when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone.

So we drilled it out so that it would fit
And with a little bit of help with an A-daptor kit
We had that engine runnin' just like a song
Now the headlight' was another sight
We had two on the left and one on the right
But when we pulled out the switch all three of 'em come on.

The back end looked kinda funny too
But we put it together and when we got thru
Well, that's when we noticed that we only had one tail-fin
About that time my wife walked out
And I could see in her eyes that she had her doubts
But she opened the door and said "Honey, take me for a spin."

So we drove up town just to get the tags
And I headed her right on down main drag
I could hear everybody laughin' for blocks around
But up there at the court house they didn't laugh
'Cause to type it up it took the whole staff
And when they got through the title weighed sixty pounds.

CHORUS
I got it one piece at a time
And it didn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

(Spoken) Ugh! Yow, RED RYDER
This is the COTTON MOUTH
In the PSYCHO-BILLY CADILLAC Come on

Huh, This is the COTTON MOUTH
And negatory on the cost of this mow-chine there RED RYDER
You might say I went right up to the factory
And picked it up, it's cheaper that way
Ugh!, what model is it?

Well, It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 PM

so was there a point to that song? im stating the facts that i know, if you cant help me based on the amount i know ( or dont know ) then say you cant help me and feel free to move along, i asked for help not sarcasm on this matter. i am truly sorry that i dont know as much about toyota motors as you do but that would be the reasoning behind me posting asking for help wouldnt it?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by drpdmazda
so was there a point to that song? im stating the facts that i know, if you cant help me based on the amount i know ( or dont know ) then say you cant help me and feel free to move along, i asked for help not sarcasm on this matter. i am truly sorry that i dont know as much about toyota motors as you do but that would be the reasoning behind me posting asking for help wouldnt it?

Dude he's saying if you want some thing you need to give something. What he needs is information on what you have. So the prosess of diagnosing can begin. Telling one of the more helpful and knowledgable guys on here to piss off is not going to help you and your truck. Especially if you have a hybrid/bastard truck.

So that being said let's start from scratch. Now you got two choices: 1) go back to the guy that sold you something that you know nothing about and pay him more money to fix it, if he will/can. 2) be willing to to be a gofer to get the information and wrench the possible solutions.

From here on out you decide, if you get your truck running or not. Do you want help or not.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Dude he's saying if you want some thing you need to give something. What he needs is information on what you have. So the prosess of diagnosing can begin. Telling one of the more helpful and knowledgable guys on here to piss off is not going to help you and your truck. Especially if you have a hybrid/bastard truck.

So that being said let's start from scratch. Now you got two choices: 1) go back to the guy that sold you something that you know nothing about and pay him more money to fix it, if he will/can. 2) be willing to to be a gofer to get the information and wrench the possible solutions.

From here on out you decide, if you get your truck running or not. Do you want help or not.

im not telling him to piss off, just saying i dont need sarcasm. there are other ways of saying that he needs more info. i am obviously willing to get any info needed to help in this process and obviously need help thats why i am posting a question. so if he has some helpful input thats great just tell me what you need to know. as i stated i wsa told by the previous owner that he took a 22r and converted it to a 22re. how he did it is beyond me, hell he could be completely full of s*it for all i know. it all appears to be 22re parts including the block the only thing leading me to believe him is that there is a 22r computer. but as previously stated that may not mean anything. this dude could have just been blowing smoke up my a*s to try to make himself sound knowledgeable when i bought it. is there anything else i can look for to help me in this matter?

jason
Old 10-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
im not telling him to piss off, just saying i dont need sarcasm. there are other ways of saying that he needs more info. i am obviously willing to get any info needed to help in this process and obviously need help thats why i am posting a question. so if he has some helpful input thats great just tell me what you need to know. as i stated i wsa told by the previous owner that he took a 22r and converted it to a 22re. how he did it is beyond me, hell he could be completely full of s*it for all i know. it all appears to be 22re parts including the block the only thing leading me to believe him is that there is a 22r computer. but as previously stated that may not mean anything. this dude could have just been blowing smoke up my a*s to try to make himself sound knowledgeable when i bought it. is there anything else i can look for to help me in this matter?

jason
A new attitude...
Old 10-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

jason
if its an 86 4runner it came factory with a 22re, so the PO is full of crap. all ecm that i have ran across for 22re in 1st gen 4runners say 22r on them, and im pretty sure that they all do. they are totally different from that you will find in a 22r pickup.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:32 PM

crossbreed bastardized insest motors are never a good thing to start with thats for sure. BUT sence its what you got to work with i guess id start identifying parts (block, head, ecu, all that good stuff) and make sure that they will all interchange and work togeather properly. i guess there is a half million different ways to go about it but thats what id do.. it will also help in the long run knowing as much about the motor as possible.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:35 PM

see what happens when you try to inject some humor into things?
oh well.

so let's get a few things out in the open-
- an 86 toyota could have a 22r (carbureted) or 22re (fuel injected) engine, but most likely it started life with a 22re... since you say the engine was swapped in from a carb'd 22r, the efi stuff was probably already in the truck else why go through the trouble of installing efi on an engine that would work fine carb'd... thus lending credence to the truck being a 22re to start with
- while it is technically possible to install a 22r long block in place of a 22re, the intake and exhaust ports on the heads are different, and the intake side of the head on a 22r does not have all the bolt bosses that an efi manifold requires. also, different sources report a 22r cam is different than a 22re, but other sources say they're not so not being sure as I've never checked, I'll err on the side that they are different. if so, that could possibly cause an issue with engine performance, but since we're not sure what you have, let's ignore the cam for now.

so, have you tried pulling trouble codes yet, like I suggested way back in my first reply? if you haven't, then please do. if you don't have any codes, then we'll go off into troubleshooting land, hopefully with a happier view on life.

if instead, you are not patient enough with dealing with this logically and methodically, start throwing new parts on until the problem is fixed.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

- while it is technically possible to install a 22r long block in place of a 22re, the intake and exhaust ports on the heads are different, and the intake side of the head on a 22r does not have all the bolt bosses that an efi manifold requires.
the heads are the same from 85-95 for 22r and 22re. there is one stud on the head towards the back, on the intake side that has to be moved on a 22r if a 22re intake is to be used (all heads are pre drilled the same) other than that they are identical and interchangeable.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:36 PM

see what happens when you try to inject some humor into things?
oh well.

so let's get a few things out in the open-
- an 86 toyota could have a 22r (carbureted) or 22re (fuel injected) engine, but most likely it started life with a 22re... since you say the engine was swapped in from a carb'd 22r, the efi stuff was probably already in the truck else why go through the trouble of installing efi on an engine that would work fine carb'd... thus lending credence to the truck being a 22re to start with
- while it is technically possible to install a 22r long block in place of a 22re, the intake and exhaust ports on the heads are different, and the intake side of the head on a 22r does not have all the bolt bosses that an efi manifold requires. also, different sources report a 22r cam is different than a 22re, but other sources say they're not so not being sure as I've never checked, I'll err on the side that they are different. if so, that could possibly cause an issue with engine performance, but since we're not sure what you have, let's ignore the cam for now.

so, have you tried pulling trouble codes yet, like I suggested way back in my first reply? if you haven't, then please do. if you don't have any codes, then we'll go off into troubleshooting land, hopefully with a happier view on life.

if instead, you are not patient enough with dealing with this logically and methodically, start throwing new parts on until the problem is fixed.
i think what you are saying about it originally bieng the 22re then him swapping in a 22r enignie if possible, but again i am not against the idea that he is full of b.s. how do i go about pulling the engine codes? i just pulled a 22RE out of my parts truck and everything on that motor and the motor in my daily looks identical minus one having the 22r valve cover. i am debating pulling the plugs and checking the gap on them and see if they are fouled but not sure if that would be the issue with the hesitation around 3k.

thanks for the help thus far

jason
Old 10-18-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna
crossbreed bastardized insest motors are never a good thing to start with thats for sure. BUT sence its what you got to work with i guess id start identifying parts (block, head, ecu, all that good stuff) and make sure that they will all interchange and work togeather properly. i guess there is a half million different ways to go about it but thats what id do.. it will also help in the long run knowing as much about the motor as possible.
will there be castings or numbers on the block, head etc that would help me in identifying them?

thanks

jason
Old 10-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by DudeBud
if its an 86 4runner it came factory with a 22re, so the PO is full of crap. all ecm that i have ran across for 22re in 1st gen 4runners say 22r on them, and im pretty sure that they all do. they are totally different from that you will find in a 22r pickup.
according to the previous owner the truck had the 22re in it, he bought it with a bad H.G. and replaced it, he said shortly after that the belt/chain snapped so he decided to purchase a low mileage runner to take the engine from. he said the transplant motor was a 22r and he just swapped it into the runner that i have now. so i have no clue what if any of that is true
Old 10-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i just pulled a 22RE out of my parts truck
Although I am unsure how hard this would be have you thought about dropping this motor in in place of the 22r that you're having problems with? I need to add here that I am a total newb to these things and don't really know if this would solve your problems.

Oh and just to get my head straight on this.... the PO had a bad HG on a 22re (that came factory with the vehicle you have now) and after replacing the HG the timing aparatus failed. Then he replaced the re with an r motor and swaped the EFI stuff over? I would think that replacing the timing stuff would have been easier although I haven't tried that myself.

Also you need to take Abe with a grain of salt. He has so much Toyota knowledge in his head that when he sneezes OEM gear oil shoots out. *grin*

Last edited by Junkers88; 10-18-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DudeBud
the heads are the same from 85-95 for 22r and 22re. there is one stud on the head towards the back, on the intake side that has to be moved on a 22r if a 22re intake is to be used (all heads are pre drilled the same) other than that they are identical and interchangeable.
Thanks for clearing that up. Learn something every day.

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Although I am unsure how hard this would be have you thought about dropping this motor in in place of the 22r that you're having problems with? I need to add here that I am a total newb to these things and don't really know if this would solve your problems.

Oh and just to get my head straight on this.... the PO had a bad HG on a 22re (that came factory with the vehicle you have now) and after replacing the HG the timing aparatus failed. Then he replaced the re with an r motor and swaped the EFI stuff over? I would think that replacing the timing stuff would have been easier although I haven't tried that myself.
If the chain snapped, it's likely to have caused damage since the 22re is an interference type engine, meaning the pistons will hit the valves if they're open at the wrong time.
Also you need to take Abe with a grain of salt. He has so much Toyota knowledge in his head that when he sneezes OEM gear oil shoots out. *grin*
and I taste better with salt anyways, but bbq sauce is good, oh and pickles, must have pickles.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If the chain snapped, it's likely to have caused damage since the 22re is an interference type engine, meaning the pistons will hit the valves if they're open at the wrong time.
Oh! Well that I didn't know. I sort of figured it'd just stop running and replacing the chain (with it in the proper position with regards to the cam and crank gears) would just fix it. I never realized a timing chain breaking could ruin other things. Did I mention I'm a newb?

and I taste better with salt anyways, but bbq sauce is good, oh and pickles, must have pickles.

I'll take your word for that one. *laugh*

Quick Reply: 86 4runner idle issues