Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

24 valve heads for a 3vze and 80 extra Miles per tank?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honestly peopel are OVER thinking the swaps here....
why swap a 3vzfe? They are designed for a car use and will require more mod to get it to fit right vs the 5vz-fe....swaping heads and modding thigns to fit them and whatever people are talking about....yet you will not yield the output as a typical 5vz-fe swap would.
Then people say it costs to much for the 5vz-fe...yet they want to swap the 5vz head in there and buy a s/c for it...do you realize the s/c costs $2999 with fuel mods?
The engine range is from 400-1000 i have seen as a fair price...lots of overprice ones out there.

Either that or FIX toyotas mistakes in the 3vz-e as much as you can like suprathepeg is doing.

But thats just my opinion
Old 01-26-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you wanna put a SC on the 3.0 then just do it. With either o-ringing or a good quality HG you can run just about anything you want. you will have to fab up some sort intake but no big deal. There is no reason that the stock 3.0 configuration can't handle the pressure of a SC. No need for DOHC heads.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:56 PM

Just do it?
Go for it!
For under $1999
Old 01-26-2006, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hondacrusher
I was at the juckyard a few days ago to get the Vane airflow sensor off a I-6 Supra engine for my 3vze, since they are much bigger. I had an epiphany and thought of the Idea of putting a v-6 camary 24 Valve heads on the 3vze. does anyone have any Ideas on this For some more juice under the hood? what I would really like are some detailed pics of The head from both cars from all angles, as well as bolt patterns, and maybe the ci of the combustion chambers, to see if this is even remotly possible.

so anyway, I ended up getting a airflow sensor off a mazda MPV minivan. It was bigger, had the same connection, so It was a plug and play operation. ran great without the MIL. It had a noticable increase in power, as well as a deeper sound. I adjusted the Retrostate inside so the engine is running leaner. With the extra air flowing in and a leaner engine, I am getting roughly 80 extra miles per tank, with the same power.
In light of my own personal experimentation on this exact subject I have a VERY hard time believing that it was plug and play particularly from a FORD/mazda product... gimme some pics please. I did the same thing and my 3vze started pinging like a MOFO...even with tons of fuel to the point of stalling it and even with it running lean as hell for a breif period.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-26-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:16 PM

I'll get some pics up tommarow. did you retard the timing? I knocked mine back 2 degrees. I filled up today and i averaged 21.7 mpg for this tank. before I was averaging about 16-18. I wanted to go for gas milage instead of power, since i spend more time in my car than i do at home. I got around 48 miles more per tank increase. Yeah If I were to swap engines, I do the 3.4 swap.
It seems like most of the people around here think im bullÅÅÅÅing or at least skeptical, but im just sharing my experiances w/ this swap and trying to help out. It seems like the 24 valve head are out of the question.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:36 PM

I guess that denso could have used the internal setup from the 3.0 and the larger case from say a 7mge and mated the two, so it could be plug and play. Do what toysrme said and what I said about the meter to make sure you're not gonna kill anything. Who knows maybe you're onto something here.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a VAFM out of a Cressida which is 5gme. I was told everything is the same except bigger. Never got a chance to install it.

James
Old 01-26-2006, 08:07 PM

Im gonna get a af gauge tomorrow and put that in. Just as well, by plug and play I ment the connections mated up and the car ran. I fiddled around with the fuel mixture for a few hours until I found a setting that the truck seemed to like. The reason that I got the bigger Meter and not just lean the stock one is because im going to put a potentiometer inline, so I can adjust my A/F mixture when I need the extra power, after I put the gauge in of course.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:37 PM

Cool

The lambda gauge is not the way you want to go by checking between both devices...

Lambda sensors are accurate to a degree - much mroe so than people let on - but only heated lambda sensors, and only when they're atleast a good 10' of pipe away from the heads.
Lambda sensors are 1/2 as sensative to heat changes as they are oxygen - which is what makes their output all over the board.

Take away with heat problem & they go from useless to so-so.
Stock o2 sensor position is way too hot & fluctuating to pull a descent reading. *Especially* When you're trying to compair things that are running rich (before) and lean (now)

That may make you feel like I'm putting you down, but understand that I am not. I am actually the only person you'll ever find that *actually* think lambda sensors can be made useful *if* they are used under the right conditions.

Mazda uses Denso fuel injection equipment. They still do in some of their Japanese built cars. The Miata's & mazda i4's used the small Denso AFM, while RX-7's & v6's used the larger housing. On the miata the RX-7 AFM upgrade is semi-popular for modified engines.

Last edited by Toysrme; 01-26-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Toysrme

That may make you feel like I'm putting you down, but understand that I am not. I am actually the only person you'll ever find that *actually* think lambda sensors can be made useful *if* they are used under the right conditions.
not the only one
Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 AM

So honda cruiser, you make any more progress with that afm?