Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re running with miss

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re running with miss

So I got a change to work on my truck and figure out what was making it run odd.
Before it would idle fine and rev stationary fine. Upon accelerating at low rpm's the truck would seem like it is missing or hesitating. But once it got to higher rpm's the truck would just take off.
Well I checked the AFM and seemed like it was not moving freely so, sprayed some stuff in the and drove it around. problem solved, or so i thought. I drove it for a bit, parked it and went to start it up 20 minutes later and back to the old problem.
Now it seems like even the idle it rougher, and revving it stationary it seems to miss unless I ease into the throttle slowly. It does this same thing driving.

Possibly TPS? Or did I ruin the AFM now?

Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? Ive read multiple threads close to the problem but havent found a sure solution.
Ive heard of replacing the AFM or TPS, and then completely doing a tune up (plugs, cap rotor, wires)

And plus being a college kid its hard for me to spend the extra money replacing everything in hopes of sucess.

Any other info would help alot! Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 PM

bump. any ideas at all?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Try adjust your TPS with an Ohm meter, and make sure the timing is correct.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check for vacuum leaks and check the intake duct for cracks in the boots
check and set your timing
look for any loose connections around the coil and for any spark plug wires that may be rubbing against things.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try going over your last steps. Think to yourself "where did I put the motor?" Maybe get a metal detector and walk around and see if you can find it.

I'm drunk, and that sounds so funny to me right now, so yeah. We'll leave it at that.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 PM

"My 22re is missing. I could've sworn I left it in the truck...."

I was refraining for saying that but since someone else broke the ice....

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-17-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check main intake hose for cracks and leaks. Vac lines. Tune-up? Check more into your AFM. Do the resistance test. IF its out of spec anywhere its "technically bad" but still useable. Dirty air filter?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 PM

haha good one fellas. Ill be sure to check on that stuff. Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 01:30 PM

well your, on the right track.. plugs, wires, air filter rotor, cap, rotor button, fuel filter is not a waste of money its called preventive maintenance.. so its money well spent.. right..

just make a things to check list and you will able to figure out what is causing your problem
Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 PM

Well to revive an old thread. I tried cleaning the inside of the MAF, and my friend insisted we spray this stuff (idk what it was called) on the inside of the MAF and it seemed to fix the problem. I took it for a drive and she went like a bat outa hell. Well I parked it and went out to start it up again maybe 15-20 minutes later and back to the same problem. Now maybe even worse than before

So by doing this did I kill my MAF?

Has anyone had problems like this with it? Or can you clean it?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
like post 3 says... put it on the MAF and find out...

That's about the only way I know to check it...
Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldblue94
Well to revive an old thread. I tried cleaning the inside of the MAF, and my friend insisted we spray this stuff (idk what it was called) on the inside of the MAF and it seemed to fix the problem. I took it for a drive and she went like a bat outa hell. Well I parked it and went out to start it up again maybe 15-20 minutes later and back to the same problem. Now maybe even worse than before

So by doing this did I kill my MAF?

Has anyone had problems like this with it? Or can you clean it?
When you say "on the inside" do you mean where the air goes through or did you uncover the circuit board? If it was where the air goes through I'd have to say that the little baffle (I have no idea what it is called) in there is sticking. Might need to spray some more of that stuff in there and take a tooth brush to it to get it clean.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
like post 3 says... put it on the MAF and find out...

That's about the only way I know to check it...
Post three talks about the TPS. If you've been checking your TPS by putting it on top of a MAF then I think you may be doing something wrong.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 AM

Yea Junkers I did mean where the air goes through. And it would makes sense to me that is would mess things up if it wasnt moving properly. Is there anything you would recommend to clean it with (anything special or just some soap and water)?
Would it help to clean out the circuit board area at all too? Just like hit it with some compressed air?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by oldblue94
Yea Junkers I did mean where the air goes through. And it would makes sense to me that is would mess things up if it wasnt moving properly. Is there anything you would recommend to clean it with (anything special or just some soap and water)?
Would it help to clean out the circuit board area at all too? Just like hit it with some compressed air?
I have never opened one up to clean the circuit board, don't recommend it.

I would think that something like throttle body cleaner would work and maybe a tooth brush? I guess it all depends on how dirty it actually is in there.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 AM

OK, I'll have to give it a shot! Thanks alot Junkers, and everyone else before!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Post three talks about the TPS. If you've been checking your TPS by putting it on top of a MAF then I think you may be doing something wrong.

Post 3 also mentions a ohm meter... And I'm sure he can find in the FSM how to check the MAF...

I was trying to give the poster some cred, but yeah it's a little out of context...

Still: Ohm meter > FSM > MAF
Old 02-25-2010, 09:12 AM

let me know what it ends up being. i've got a very similar problem and i've already replaces plugs, wires, cap, fuel filter with no luck. i've got a new fuel pump to throw in for a starting issue that a mechanic diagnosed. maybe it will fix both, fingers crossed....
Old 02-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Alright, will do! Might be awhile though, Im trying to find a weekend I can go home and work on it.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Alright, Well I cleaned out the MAF (where the air goes through) didnt seem too dirty, but now its really clean.
I also cleaned the air filter (K&N) so thats alot better too.

I started it up and it went to a cold high idle and it seemed fine. Nothing sounded out of the ordinary. I let it idle for a bit and i revved it and it and it went through the rpm range fine. I thought to myself sweet, I fixed it!
Well, I figure ok its running good so i just let it idle. After its been idling for a while and its up to temperature, I go to rev it again and it stumbles and sounds terrible.
But if i ease into the throttle the problem doesn't happen.
Im still really confused, I did not how ever do a resistance test, I will try and do that tomorrow.
Any one have any other ideas or have a similar problem?

Quick Reply: 22re running with miss