Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re running with miss

Old 02-27-2010, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read your instructions that came with your mulitmeter
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man that stumble sounds like the TPS is out of adjustment.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:01 PM

ok, I'll have to do a resistance test on the TPS in the morning, and I found how to adjust it, so hopefully this will do it
Old 02-27-2010, 04:08 PM

lets get this truck up and running!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by oldblue94
ok, I'll have to do a resistance test on the TPS in the morning, and I found how to adjust it, so hopefully this will do it
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

I used that link when I did the adjustments on my pickup. Will use the same when I do the runner.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
lets get this truck up and running!
X2!! A Toyota that doesn't run right is like a beautiful girl friend that doesn't like sex..... just sits there and looks pretty without the joy of a bumpy ride.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:20 PM

haha thats a good one!

Im gonna get on that tomorrow... err the truck I mean

Hopefully I can get it running before I gotta get going back to school. And I'll keep ya'll posted!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:19 AM

treater like a whore and you will get more out of her..
Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Well I'm back at school and didn't get to test the TPS. Ive been reading around and heard that it could maybe be the 02 sensor??
Wouldn't this mean that I would be showing a CEL? (when its not) And I dont think it could have that much effect on how it runs... or can it?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:20 PM

let me take a crack at it... misses when at operating temp, under load and at low RPM....hmmm. replace the coil before spending any more money. its getting hot and not holding enough charge at low RPM. if i'm wrong then i will let you call me an idiot.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:51 AM

OK, I'll check that right now

I tried doing a resistance test on the TPS but I don't think my multimeter reads high enough. I'm gonna have to try it again later.

Here is a video of what my truck is doing. I don't know if this helps at all, but I figured if people heard it maybe they would have a better idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb7QIhWrYtA

Oh and I disconnected the battery to clear the codes and checked for codes again after running it and its all clear

Last edited by oldblue94; 03-21-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 PM

UPDATE:

Well Im once again back at school and per Yotaman85's advice I decided to test the coil and came back with some weird readings. So this is hopefully the culprit, I will find out next weekend when im back.

Also while im looking at coils, anyone see a benefit in running a msd blaster coil? Or am I just better off getting a toyota one?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:49 PM

some times stocks prevents alot problems down the road..

but not always true
Old 04-01-2010, 02:31 PM

OldBlue94 - I just joined this forum after finding this thread while searching for answers to the rough idle problem on my 94 22re. Everything you have detailed so far sounds just like the problem I'm having. I'm planning on investigating my idle problem this weekend. Might be good to have another person hunting down the same problem!

Can you clarify one thing for me that I did not catch from reading your posts? it sounds like the truck idles and pulls OK sometimes but not at others. Do you get the rough idle and stumbling on acceleration when the truck is cold, when it's warm, or both?

In my particular case the truck fires right up, idles fine, and pulls hard when cold and when fully warmed. However, there's a small window of time when it's transitioning from cold to warm (2 to 3 minutes and 1 mile or so into a drive) where it stumbles, runs like it's on 3 cyl., and idles low and rough. Once you push through this phase and it warms up, all is well.

Does this sound like your issue too? if so, I'll let you know what I find. If not, I'll go start my own thread and stop hijacking yours!

Cheers.

Dave
Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Well I replaced the coil, and It still does the same thing. I did notice that my 94 22re has a different coil then my lifted 90 does... I dont know why this is.
Ugh I gotta find out whats causing this its killing me

detroadster-

To answer your questions, I get the rough idle only after its been warmed up, and now that i replaced the coil the idle didnt seem as weird as it was before... but once the engine is warm if I try to rev it, its like it doesnt want to go (my video clip kinda shows that if you can hear it )

When its cold and I start it it runs perfectly fine, I can rev it and drive it and it performs like it should, but once it gets outa that loop it starts stumbling.

And It sounds like we do have a similar problem, but I've never really driven my truck all that far yet, so I dont know if the problem would go away, I would say in my case once its warm my problem is staying there
Old 04-01-2010, 03:34 PM

OK, thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like our issues are similar but not exact. Mine literally clears up within 1/4 mile if you lay on the throttle and just drive through the sputtering.

I have my manual on order so I'm flying a bit blind here. I'm from the Nissan world, new to Toyotas, so maybe one of the Toyota gurus that have chimed in on this thread can comment but I'm thinking temp sensor in your case. If your temp sensor is sending bad info to the ECU you may be stuck in closed loop operation. You getting black smoke or other signs its running rich, like fowled spark plugs?

Also, Nissans use something called an Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), located on the intake manifold, that helps maintain constant idle as the vehicle warms up. If that gets clogged up and sticky you can get normal operation when cold and rough operation when warm. If one of the experts here can tell us if our trucks have something similar to an IACV, I'll be checking mine and would suggest you do too.

Other than that, I'll be checking my EGR valve, MAF, TPS, and idle speed setting. Already replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.

Keep your spirits up. We'll get it figured out.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:44 PM

i just had this problem on my friends 92. we did all the above and then some. the last thing we did was thake the trottle body off and claen it out. it was packed full of crap. and then he went out and bought a new tps sensor. try to unplug ur tps and see if it still does it. we did this on his. his smoothed right out for like 5 minets then stalled out. after the new tps his truck runs great. idk if thatll help but worth a shot
Old 04-02-2010, 05:10 AM

I've actually recently thought about the temp sensor and will be checking this today. I'll also give the IACV a look too and see what happens.

I have no black smoke, but haven't checked the plugs yet, I don't think the plugs could be causing it seeing as it runs fine when it first starts up and runs for a bit

I tested my TPS and it seemed to check out, I'm thinking about switching tps sensors with my other 22re truck and see if that helps. While im at it I'll pull the throttle body and clean it and let you guys know if it works.

Thanks everyone!! I think all the help on here is whats keeping me going
Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldblue94
Well to revive an old thread. I tried cleaning the inside of the MAF, and my friend insisted we spray this stuff (idk what it was called) on the inside of the MAF and it seemed to fix the problem. I took it for a drive and she went like a bat outa hell. Well I parked it and went out to start it up again maybe 15-20 minutes later and back to the same problem. Now maybe even worse than before

So by doing this did I kill my MAF?

Has anyone had problems like this with it? Or can you clean it?
Do you have a haynes or chiltons manual for the truck and a mulitmeter? If so look up testing for the Air flow meter and flow step by step. If it is at all out of spec its bad... and needs replacing. Also have you checked EGR? Unplug the vac line going to it and see if it quites. Does it seems to run rough at idle? Miss firing? Pull plug wires while its running a see what cyl has no affect on how it runs if there is one theres your problem. If your AFM tests good and the EGR has no affect and theres no dead cyls and it only does it on acceleration then you may need to look toward your ignition system. Coil and Ignitor have resistance checks in those same manuals as well, the same with the AFM if out of spec anywhere they are bad. Check Distributor cap and button. The O2 sensor on these trucks would not have that great of affect on your performance issue. Like i said before look for vac leaks.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Do you have a haynes or chiltons manual for the truck and a mulitmeter? If so look up testing for the Air flow meter and flow step by step. If it is at all out of spec its bad... and needs replacing. Also have you checked EGR? Unplug the vac line going to it and see if it quites. Does it seems to run rough at idle? Miss firing? Pull plug wires while its running a see what cyl has no affect on how it runs if there is one theres your problem. If your AFM tests good and the EGR has no affect and theres no dead cyls and it only does it on acceleration then you may need to look toward your ignition system. Coil and Ignitor have resistance checks in those same manuals as well, the same with the AFM if out of spec anywhere they are bad. Check Distributor cap and button. The O2 sensor on these trucks would not have that great of affect on your performance issue. Like i said before look for vac leaks.
The idle doesnt seem too odd really, once the idle drops down thats when its sounds a little off. Also All the EGR stuff on my motor is removed ans has black off plates, I probably should have mentioned that.

Well after messing around with it today, I decided to check the codes once again after letting it run for a while to see if it had a stored code.

Well I pull up code 12...

So thats RPM signal, I replaced the coil with one I got from the junkyard to see if that helped, could it just be another bad coil?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22re running with miss