Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is 22RE/OSK T011K kit supposed to come with OSK timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 22RE/OSK T011K kit supposed to come with OSK timing chain?

Bought OSK T011K kit off ebay. Everything in kit was OSK except timing chain. (Enuma chain). Wondering if others that bought this kit received OSK chain, or substitution? Enuma still made in Japan, but wondering if lesser quality. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Never heard of enuma, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I bought the osk timing kit off Amazon a couple years ago and the chain was stamped OSK. Not sure why the supplier would swap chains, if that's whats going on.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You could message the seller and ask if what you received is what they've always been selling. From my experience, it's really hard to screw up making a chain especially if it's from Japan. Enuma makes racing motorcycle chains and for industrial machinery. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (10-21-2022)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:09 PM

Thanks gsp4life. Everything else in kit was OSK. Wondered if ebay seller may have switched chain or counterfeit for higher profit margin. Someone else asked if all OSK and seller very vague. After researching I see two different number timing chains for this applications as well (running change?). Not sure what's up, looking into it.

Thanks Montana, sounds like you have a lot of experience in roller chain industry. I'm sure EK makes decent product, won't be losing sleep over it. But if OSK is advertised, then that's what I thought I was getting. Could be legit? That's why I posted.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:36 PM

The most important part is that you've got an osk tensioner. I think some people overlook how many engine failures are due to the tensioner failing.

This is from a guy who had to rebuild an engine because of a napa tensioner that failed just shy of 40k miles. The napa chain and gears looked just fine even after destroying the timing cover and being forced to run another 200 miles*

*I don't recommend driving after you hear 'the rattle'
RAD4Runner (10-21-2022)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by gsp4life
The most important part is that you've got an osk tensioner. I think some people overlook how many engine failures are due to the tensioner failing.

This is from a guy who had to rebuild an engine because of a napa tensioner that failed just shy of 40k miles. The napa chain and gears looked just fine even after destroying the timing cover and being forced to run another 200 miles*

*I don't recommend driving after you hear 'the rattle'
That is cruel. Definitely some el cheapo chain out there that will stretch and wear pretty fast, possibly fail. NAPA kit is over $200 here plus tax so must be high quality. (Cloyes maybe?) Researched a bit before going with OSK. Enuma chain was in kit and made in Japan so going to use it. Hoping not to do it again any time soon that's for sure.

Think I will go with plastic guides. Consensus seems to be metal but current units have lasted 180k KM's, and OEM is plastic. If tensioner fails will be going back in regardless. Have a new 20r guide I will never use. Going to cut it up and see how close I can match it to 22re for posterity.

Did you do oil pump? I see a lot of people swapping out just because. I won't know until removed. Not sure how many people actually measured and found enough wear to justify replacement, or went by herd mentality? Has oil pressure now. Think I will search oil pump wear.

Currently getting clack at start up, and here and there at low rpm/light load putting around yard. Have a few other trucks and none of them do it. Going to try pan off/head on.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:36 AM

I did replace the oil pump because of how much metal was in the oil pan. I also replaced the water pump, head/cam, timing cover, pistons/rings and bearings. The block needed lots of attention from the machine shop. I considered running a double chain after all that, but I consider it an aftermarket parts-sanding failure. I also used the new osk plastic guides. I'll be going back in there hopefully not before 105k miles to do it again anyway.
RAD4Runner (10-21-2022)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Complete rebuild due to timing chain tensioner? Oh man. Nice to have it done right and hopefully get 500k+ out of it, but ouch.

I'm thinking my front cover will probably leak immediately, then head electrolysis/gasket soon after and I will be looking hard at rebuild as well. After months to finally get my exhaust manifold nuts to stay tight=only possible outcome haha.