Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Timing Chain, ut oh, where did this come from?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Timing Chain, ut oh, where did this come from?

Side note...Returned from Hawaii after two years, which was awesome, then drove from Cali to NY in a Sonata, which was awesome. Now get to return to my 88 4runner (and Yotatech), that my dad used when I was gone, which is awesome. About a month before I got home, timing chain broke on dad, which is not awesome. SO, I get to get into a timing chain right away. YAY.

Side note 2: Body of this 4runner has no rust, so was not driven in winter, less than 1500 miles were put on since before I went to Hawaii in summer of 08, when I completely rebuilt engine, including timing chain....what did I do

So pull everything apart (still in engine bay, didn't initially want to pull engine.) Take off timing chain cover, see that cam gear, crankshaft gear and distributor drive gear all have broken teeth. Shoot. Tensioner and guides appear to be fine. Inspect timing chain cover to see:

See that where crankshaft gear goes through cover the metal appears to be broken. Closer look:

Look down towards top of oil pan, to find a large, black semi-circular object which should not be where it is. Appears to be plastic/rubber and some metal, metal looks like it was broken from somewhere. Look around to figure out where it came from, but can't really liine it up. Any pics I found online were not useful, only place I could roughly line it up was around area where crankshaft gear goes(which was broken on timing chain cover).

Inspect this unknown piece, see that it has marks from where it went around a gear

If it was to line up, there is a lot of pieces missing....so next step is to get oil pan off and see what is in there. But, can't figure out if it is easier to jack up engine by unbolting motor mounts, or lower front diff. Then go from there....

SO, what did I do wrong?
Anyone know what that part is?
What is easier to get the oil pan off, raise engine or lower front diff?
Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 06:01 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Raise engine to pull oil pan.

What kit did you use? Call Ted at engnbldr.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Could that be part of the oil seal for the crank shaft?

Repo
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 AM

Raised engine, pulled oil pan out, and found a lot of metal, from splinters to about 1 inch pieces.

I had ordered a timing set, oil pump, and cam all from engnbldr. I have heard nothing but good about that, so don't want to knock his stuff...so I am assuming it was something I did wrong that caused my little issue....

The seal on the crank shaft looks fine, no cracks or large pieces missing....although this is what I initially thought.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 AM

still can't figure out where piece came from....anyone know if it was part of the timing chain cover?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM

Thinking....someone can tell me if this is a bad or good thought.

Like I said, about 1500 miles ago, I did new head gasket, got head resurfaced, new cam, timing kit. This was done at about 240k. The body, frame and all are in excellent condition....should I just look for a new engine with less miles? Or just get the parts and put this back together.........
Old 07-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Just put it back together and see what the deal is! You already went through the trouble of doing all that work, you don't need to remove the head to do the timing.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM

Figured it out...thanks to Dad.

Timing chain guide on drivers side broke off (longer, straight guide), which then went around the gears, which bent it to look very decieving. Most likely what broke the chain and the gears....

Looks like I'll order some parts, from engnbldr again, but get metal guides this time.