Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re exhaust downpipe/headpipe/y-pipe leak

Old 10-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
22re exhaust downpipe/headpipe/y-pipe leak

my '93, 22re's still sporting an exhaust leak located in the crotch of the Y on the downpipe/headpipe/y-pipe. i'm sure this has gotta be a common location for a leak on the 22re system besides the common leaks at the head (related to gaskets/head bolts) and exhaust donut leaks (between head and downpipe). just seems like a stupid design if you ask me.

anyways, i've been trying to come up with solutions to fixing the problem since the leak is getting worse and has started making weird noises (similar to a click or chatter) -especially when i'm chillin' at lower RPMs while either coasting or giving it slight gas. sound goes away when i give it more gas.

I went to a local exhaust shop today to get a feel for how much a shop would charge me. I've used these guys before to have a new cat put on the Corolla and they seemed to have the best prices (by a good amt.) in our area. Guy there said it would be about $250 to have them just take care of that downpipe/headpipe. His reason for this is because it is such a difficult pipe to service due to the location. I asked him about a full exhaust from the header all the way back and he said around $700+ for everything. For a catback, $300. If I were to bring in a header of my choice, about $400.

Cheapest solution I've determined is to replace downpipe with a used OEM pipe for about $35 from a wrecking yard. The downfall to this is that the ones that go through most wrecking yards are typically rusted out or in bad condition according to my local toyota wrecking yard.

2nd solution would be to find a new downpipe, but I haven't found any place that carries this besides maybe Toyota and I'm not ready to pay what they want for exhaust parts. If I'm gonna spend that much, I might as well put it towards a better exhaust overall which leads me to the next option.

Next option would be to get an aftermarket header, perhaps the LCE or the Thorley would be my choice. I don't think I want a Pacesetter or one of the eBay specials. Do these aftermarket headers mate up to the stock cat? or would i have to chop into the rest of the exhaust system? ideally, a new cat and exhaust would be the best solution, but i'm a tightwad.

What would you do?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few years ago I bought a new downpipe (from exhaust manifold to cat, the one thats giving you problems) from CarQuest for $109. I lived in the middle of nowhere so the price was higher. I know living in the city and living down in Cali, the price will probably be significantly less. It was actually better quality than the OEM, IMO.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, commong leak problem.

Had to fix one before..

Buy a good header and get a new exhaust bent up with a nice hi-flow cat and muffler.

From what I heard, pacesetter makes a good product, but their coatings are the s..
Old 10-23-2009, 01:49 PM

i'm still strongly contemplating getting a header, but i read somewhere that the best exhaust for a 22re is a stock header (since it's made so well), from there go with 2" to a new cat, then 2.25" from the cat all the way back. i guess it provides the right amount of backpressure and then gets a tad larger as it exits. i dunno, it sounded legit to me.

if i were to get myself a header and a free flowing CA-legal cat, do you guys think i would be able to install those two myself (since i'm assuming they're both bolt-on and would mate to one another) and then drive 5 miles to the exhaust shop to have them weld up the rest?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had a local shop weld up a new downpipe, cat and o2 sensor bung for $127 out the door. They cut off the old flange on the downpipe and welded a new pipe onto it and bent it, sealed it up with new gaskets and bolts from Toyota and even welded in new hangers.
I'd look around you should be able to get that job done for a little cheaper than you originally said.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive always liked to stick close to the stock exhaust size but just bump it up a little.
With the addition of a header and hi-flow cat the bigger pipes arent needed. Unless you have some goodies in the motor.

Id do a header into 2" to the tailpipe. Stock is like 1 7/8"
Old 10-24-2009, 08:11 AM

i've got the option to pick up a used Thorley header for $50, only thing is its used and doesn't have the o2 bungs on it. i think i might pass on it. i was thinking i could have a bung added to it, but since it's used the chances of burning through and jacking things up seem very high to me. and then i'd need the rest of the exhaust messed with after that.

i'll look into having a shop weld me a completely new downpipe. i just thought that would be really difficult to do since it would have to be properly aligned on both mating surfaces to be successful.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Being in Cali, you must have a header with a CARB Exemption Order or else you won't pass the new tests. The Thorley header won't have a bung on it since the 85 up EFI Toyota's have the bung on the pipe in front of the converter, and maybe one behind the converter. So maybe make sure the Thorley is a Cali exempt header and grab it. They're like over 400 bucks new.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not difficult at all the shop I took it to did it no problem. Here is a link to my recent thread with a few pics for you. If you look at the last one you will see how they reused the old flange on the downpipe and welded a new pipe in then bent it up etc. It's a pretty simple job really for a good exhaust shop. Just try to find an independent exhaust shop not a place like meineke.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-pics-194600/

Last edited by pruney81; 10-24-2009 at 10:14 AM.