86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22r takin a turn for the worse

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r takin a turn for the worse

okay guys, as some of you may know, i'm 16, so i don't know everything. i was on my way to my gf's house, and could do no more than 63mph on the highway. (not good). then i noticed she started leaking oil. (with antifreeze!!) determined its headgasket. also, oil cap is milky, and antifreeze smells like oil. (second head gasket) according to the guy i bought it from. second motor also, came from an 85. anyways, i was gettin 90 p.s.i on the no.1 cylinder, and when i shot a little oil in there, she slowly built up 120. bad ring? i'm planning to do a complete rebuild myself. (with help of g-pa) anyways, is it worth the extra $120 for a H.P cam? any other reccomendations? i want to do this right. only getting 73 p.s.i on no.3, so thats where the gasket blew. motor has roughly 147,000 on it. thanks guys. (also when i bought the truck, guy gave me everything i needed for air. the 85 had air, so pulley is on engine, i know i'm in for a treat, but how hard is it gunna be to hook everything up?, i know dash must come out for condensors and whatnot, any helpful threads? thanks again. i apologize for length, but thank you for your time.

Last edited by lftd_86_yota; 02-25-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:21 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Okay simple one first... Yes get a cam. And at $120 you're getting ripped off, you should get an Engnbldr cam. It's only like $90, he sells motor parts to a lot of the guys on here, and he knows his sh@t about 22r's.

Next, why did the motor blow a headgasket? You need to figure this out. Did she overheat? If so is there a cooling issue, maybe bad waterpump, bad radiator, or something else? These motors are really tough and it takes a lot to kill one.

When you tear into it deal with a good machine shop. Have them tank and flux the head, this will be an acid bath for the head and a coating of magnetic flux that helps find cracks. It's possible that the reason for the headgasket going south was a head issue. Also from what you said about adding oil to the cylinders bring OP up than your on the right track that there's a ring issue, but why? When you pull the head check to see if there's any scoring and feel the cylinders. You might want to have the block tanked and flux and have the cylinders re-bore.

You can rebuild a 22r pretty easily. The parts are cheap. You'll probably end up spending more on machine work to get everything clean and speced than you will on parts. But if you don't mind and get a few choice items you can make some serious power out of a 22r.

Oh and with the A/C. I never had any luck adding A/C. You have to plumb all the lines, put the condensor in the dash, the evaporater in fornt of the rad, the can on the side, get all new gaskets for the lines if you seperated any of them, and try to get all the brackets to hold all the stuff. You said you had the bracket for the compressor but there is so much else in the system it's ridiculous.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EB's cams aren't super radical, the lumpier ones that crane and LC makes will set you back more. but for a driver or something that you're not going for all out performance on, they are great.

if it blew the gasket, it sounds like it probably overheated at one time -- i'd definitely get the head checked and resurfaced, and have the block cut down a bit as well. if you want to make some power, look into having the machine shop zero-deck the block with your pistons. this will improve quench and make more power.

in all, these engines are very straightforward to rebuild. just take your time, and double check everything and you should be fine. hardest part for me was remembering where all the timing cover bolts go!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my p/u just did the same thing. the ex let it over haet. now when it idles it looks like a steam locamotive and sucks the rad dry in about 20 mi.
engnbldr here i come.
hmm...new cam, header...