86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1990 22re brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:35 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by akwheeler
Brake pads are designed to have a flat pad surface contacting a flat rotor surface, if you put old pads on old rotors and the grooves don't match (even those not visible to the naked eye) you will not get very good braking power until they wear into each other. Maybe this is part of your problem, you may have only part of the pad contacting the rotor. this is why it is always best to resurface or replace the brake rotors and use new pads (even then there will be some break in before you get the full braking power). Don't do a brake job half way... safety first.
Have you driven this or is all of this testing going on in your driveway?
yes definetly good advice, but I can reliably tell you that there is absolute zero action in the front, not a little absolutely zero. I could take off the calipers and it would have the exact same amount of braking. I’m just searching for any little bit of grab that way I know there is function and that’s what I cannot seem to get. I am away during the week so when I get home I’m going to put together a checklist of things to do and just start from square one. I’ve had multiple people working on it over the course of the week so I don’t want to assume anything. Maybe everyone can critique this list.
1. Bench bleed the master on the bench
2. Bleed in the proper order in the FSM with the LSPV being last.
3. Adjust the rear drums and LSPV

once I do this I can get back with eveyone on how it goes. I appreciate the responses to the problem.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:56 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by jaretstuff
there is absolute zero action in the front, not a little absolutely zero. .

not by hand but with a prybar I can move them
So, do you need a prybar to rotate your wheels all the time?
If you really are getting zero braking at the front but you are getting fluid out of the bleeders you truly have a mystery on your hands. I don't feel like we are getting the whole story though and some of your statements are very cryptic. my best recommendation at this point would be to replace the brake hoses, loosen the parking brake, adjust the rear shoes and then readjust the parking brake, bleed the master cylinder (tap on the side several times, it helps), new pads and rotors and try again.
Just to be sure, are we talking about NEW calipers, hardlines and master cylinders or just new to you?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:05 AM

So, do you need a prybar to rotate your wheels all the time?
If you really are getting zero braking at the front but you are getting fluid out of the bleeders you truly have a mystery on your hands. I don't feel like we are getting the whole story though and some of your statements are very cryptic. my best recommendation at this point would be to replace the brake hoses, loosen the parking brake, adjust the rear shoes and then readjust the parking brake, bleed the master cylinder (tap on the side several times, it helps), new pads and rotors and try again.
Just to be sure, are we talking about NEW calipers, hardlines and master cylinders or just new to you?
brand new Out of the box brake calipers on the front, brand new hardlines. I’m really not sure what you want me to say concerning the full story, I am trying my best to relay what is going on. I understand that it is confusing to have fluid and no brake action, that’s entirely why it has been to another independent shop that basically told me, “we don’t know”
Old 04-15-2018, 07:14 AM

brand new Out of the box brake calipers on the front, brand new hardlines. I’m really not sure what you want me to say concerning the full story, I am trying my best to relay what is going on. I understand that it is confusing to have fluid and no brake action, that’s entirely why it has been to another independent shop that basically told me, “we don’t know”
I wish I could check this out in person, I feel the need to know and I think I could help...
You need to be sure you have no leaks and no air, one thing you could do is to plug either the front or the rear line (or start with both) at the master cylinder and troubleshoot one set at a time.
When I suggested having a helper press the brake pedal while you checked the front brakes you made it sound like you were getting some application of the front brakes by saying you needed a prybar to rotate them. Is this the case? can you spin the front tires by hand when the brake is released and then you need leverage when the brake is applied?

Last edited by akwheeler; 04-15-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:25 AM

I wish I could check this out in person, I feel the need to know and I think I could help...
You need to be sure you have no leaks and no air, one thing you could do is to plug either the front or the rear line (or start with both) at the master cylinder and troubleshoot one set at a time.
When I suggested having a helper press the brake pedal while you checked the front brakes you made it sound like you were getting some application of the front brakes by saying you needed a prybar to rotate them. Is this the case? can you spin the front tires by hand when the brake is released and then you need leverage when the brake is applied?
yes that is pretty much the case, I like the idea of plugging lines and trying to see if I can isolate it, that’s why it is hard to diagnose is so many parts had to get changed at once that I don’t quite know where i stand in terms of everything. The truck was in a Field for a span of years, towed it Home had decent brakes, then let it sit for another couples months while I rebuilt the motor and now I’m running into this wierd fluke issue. I understand everyone’s frustration and it doesn’t make logic sense. Brake being hydraulic it should go to the path of least resistance aka pushing the pistons down. So when I can’t find a path that is easier than that, AND I don’t have any brake function you can see why I am stumped. The only thing I could see is if there is someone in that system that is leaking fluid that I can’t see or haven’t identified yet
Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts

yes definetly good advice, but I can reliably tell you that there is absolute zero action in the front, not a little absolutely zero. ...
1. Bench bleed the master on the bench
2. Bleed in the proper order in the FSM with the LSPV being last.
3. Adjust the rear drums and LSPV ...
As I said, "no" braking (and hard pedal) is very unlikely to be a bleeding issue. If you have air in the system someplace, you get a "spongy" pedal, and at least some braking by stepping hard on the spongy pedal.

I know you've looked at a lot of stuff, but what I'm hearing is that there is fluid going to the new calipers, they move a little, the pedal gets hard, and then the calipers stop before the pads make any (reasonable) contact with the rotors. So either the pads are jammed sufficiently to overcome the caliper pressure, or there really isn't fluid being pumped to the calipers with pressure, and what you're seeing is (basically) leakage.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
As I said, "no" braking (and hard pedal) is very unlikely to be a bleeding issue. If you have air in the system someplace, you get a "spongy" pedal, and at least some braking by stepping hard on the spongy pedal.

I know you've looked at a lot of stuff, but what I'm hearing is that there is fluid going to the new calipers, they move a little, the pedal gets hard, and then the calipers stop before the pads make any (reasonable) contact with the rotors. So either the pads are jammed sufficiently to overcome the caliper pressure, or there really isn't fluid being pumped to the calipers with pressure, and what you're seeing is (basically) leakage.
the leakage definetly sounds like the problem from what eveyone is saying, I just don’t know where it could be as I am not leaving any fluid I can visibly see. I will try to just put some pressure in the system and then just trace every individual line
Old 04-15-2018, 10:37 AM

the leakage definetly sounds like the problem from what eveyone is saying, I just don’t know where it could be as I am not leaving any fluid I can visibly see. I will try to just put some pressure in the system and then just trace every individual line
I haven't seen much mention here about the rear brakes, before you put pressure to it pull your rear drums and inspect for leaks from the wheel cylinders as well as the condition of the shoes/drums/springs.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:06 AM

Thanks for everyone that responded, it ended up being a massive amount of air stuck in the LSPV. Bled that and was good as new!