86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1989 1/2 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 1/2 4Runner

I have a 1989 1/2 4Runner. Came with a 22re, fuel injection system was missing and in place was a carburetor. Motor was trashed so ordered a a 22r since I had a carb and no EFI system. They sent me a 22re and didn’t find out until the motor was in the car. Trying to stay with the carburetor but need help. Read that the motors were mostly the same, it’s doable, not suggested, blah blah blah. Can anybody tell me what I need to turn my 22re vehicle into a 22r. The whole car is set up for a 22re but most of the stuff is trashed from sitting for 15 years. I don’t care if you think EFI is better than carb, just need somebody to tell me what I need to put on the car and what I need to take off the car.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:57 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

We will need a little bit more information on what you have on your 4Runner and what was removed, both by previous owner and during the new engine install.

Early 22R / 22R-E (1984 and earlier) and late 22R / 22R-E (1985-1995) engines are different, but from 1985-1995 the long block engine is the same for 22R and 22R-E.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:46 AM

As far as I know the previous owner just removed the injection system and tried to put a carb on it. That was roughly 15 years ago. Last year a new motor was put in it with the same carburetor and wires and everything off the old motor. I wasn’t around when the new motor was put in, my father paid somebody to do it while I was in Texas. As far as I know everything on the vehicle is the original stuff for the 22RE that was in there before. I’m converting the whole vehicle for the 22r.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:16 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
As mentioned already, no difference in the engine. You just over the intake, engine harness and change the engine computer for an emissions control.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (02-11-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 03:30 PM

So all i need is an intake for a 22R? i was told to delete all emission components. I was told the stock wiring harness for the 22re that was in the vehicle before would work if i rerouted a few wires and didn't use or just removed the wires for the fuel injection system. I have a brand new carburetor for it. I read somewhere on here that i would need to remove/bypass one of the fuel pumps and change some other fuel related components out since everything on the vehicle is for fuel injection and I'm swapping to carb. I don't know a lot about these vehicles as you can tell. I'm only 18 and this is my first project so bare with me.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:39 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
To be honest you will be much better off fixing and reinstalling the factory EFI. Parts are more plentiful and you can follow the factory service manual to get everything back together. At the end of the day the carb will never perform as well as the EFI. All so all 85+ 4runners were fuel injected. Now that I have said that here is what is needed to run the carb. What carb are you running? stock or weber?
Remove in tank fuel pump and install a piece of hose in its place. Install mechanical fuel pump on cylinder head and plumb to carb / return.
Will need a 22r intake manifold or better yet a Offenhauser manifold. (dont need carb adapters to run a weber with the offy manifold)
You will need a 22r distributor (has vacuum advance- EFI distributor does not) and coil/ ignitor assembly.
Locate stock 22r engine wiring diagram. Will need switched power for electric choke on carb and for the coil-ignitor.
There is probably a few things I'm missing but this is a good start.
The following users liked this post:
Jordan Rowland (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan Rowland
So all i need is an intake for a 22R? i was told to delete all emission components. I was told the stock wiring harness for the 22re that was in the vehicle before would work if i rerouted a few wires and didn't use or just removed the wires for the fuel injection system. I have a brand new carburetor for it. I read somewhere on here that i would need to remove/bypass one of the fuel pumps and change some other fuel related components out since everything on the vehicle is for fuel injection and I'm swapping to carb. I don't know a lot about these vehicles as you can tell. I'm only 18 and this is my first project so bare with me.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by superex87
To be honest you will be much better off fixing and reinstalling the factory EFI. Parts are more plentiful and you can follow the factory service manual to get everything back together. At the end of the day the carb will never perform as well as the EFI. All so all 85+ 4runners were fuel injected. Now that I have said that here is what is needed to run the carb. What carb are you running? stock or weber?
Remove in tank fuel pump and install a piece of hose in its place. Install mechanical fuel pump on cylinder head and plumb to carb / return.
Will need a 22r intake manifold or better yet a Offenhauser manifold. (dont need carb adapters to run a weber with the offy manifold)
You will need a 22r distributor (has vacuum advance- EFI distributor does not) and coil/ ignitor assembly.
Locate stock 22r engine wiring diagram. Will need switched power for electric choke on carb and for the coil-ignitor.
There is probably a few things I'm missing but this is a good start.
thanks boss. I’ll start with that. If you think of anything else let me know.