Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 Toyota P/U Slave Clutch Cylinder Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 04:51 PM
jb9

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1987 Toyota P/U Slave Clutch Cylinder Install Question

Hello,

It's been a while since I have posted (I'm homesteading and it's been hectic).... Anyhow, my slave clutch cylinder just went on me and I need to replace it. I have the Aisin part in hand and I have been watching a couple videos. I found a video that suggests a dab of grease on the push rod and around the boot seal. In the video, the (very knowledgeable) fellow pulls the boot and takes care of this. Why couldn't I pull the push rod and boot assembly to give myself a little more room for the hard line threading process (the part that causes all the brake fluid to pour down your arm).

I have successfully loosened the mount bolts on the bell housing (22R) and used my line wrench to get the flare nut to move as well (AeroKroil is the most amazing product in the world). Anyhow, I'm ready to go with this but I wanted to ask the forum for thoughts. I have a rubber vacuum line cap for the hard line too.

I was thinking about this.

-loosen mount bolts
-remove flare nut
-remove mount bolts
-quickly put rubber cap on hard line (fluid pouring down my arm)
-remove old slave cylinder
-clean area
-install new slave cylinder (without push rod)
-thread flare nut being very careful
-install mount bolts
-tighten flare nut
-tighten mount bolts
-slip push rod into slave and against transmission plate

Does this seem like a dumb idea?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Wish I had enough money for a new truck but it's all going to the lumberyard right now.

jb9

Last edited by jb9; 05-20-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I wouldn't take apart the new slave cylinder.
When I installed a new slave while overhauling the clutch system, the cylinder went in without any drama.
install, bleed, done.
Cheers
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (05-23-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 09:33 AM
jb9

Thanks Mr. Z and old87yota. I am about ready to do the swap but I am confused by something. The slave has all the leakage indicative of the failure so that's all good. The bolts are ready to go. Is there a possibility that the clutch release arm/pad that is pushed by the rod has a return spring that is broken or not working? When the truck is completely off (not started), I can shift into gears without depressing the clutch. When I start the truck and the engine is running and the vehicle stick is in neutral, I can't pop it into a gear. When the truck starts, does the clutch release arm/pad become engaged and move toward the slave cylinder rod? I am concerned that either I don't know how the slave cylinder works or there is a problem with the arm or the transmission.

There is no fluid or anything around the clutch release arm/pad/boot.

I also only ask this because I tried to move the clutch release arm/pad myself and I couldn't move it (thinking it was either too hard to move or it simply doesn't really articulate past more than 10-20 degrees.

Last edited by jb9; 05-25-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The slave cylinder push rod engages the clutch release fork.
This has the throw-out bearing on the end.
Are you replacing the clutch?
Have you looked through the FSM?
Here is a link to the clutch section.
https://cardiagn.com/clutch-86-89-4runner/
Old 05-25-2020, 06:11 PM
jb9

Well, I managed to get the new slave cylinder installed. I didn't even lose that much fluid. I threaded the hard line flare nut first for what it's worth...

The truck appears to shift fine but I am still concerned. Not much movement from the clutch release fork from what I can see. It may have always been this way but it is perplexing. I did a short drive today to fill my 5 gallon water jug. This is the last thing I need!

I wish I could see the rod moving that clutch release fork a little more... Thanks for staying on this thread you guys. I'll look at it again tomorrow.