86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 4Runner - Restoration and Preservation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by se7enine
It's a plug and play swap so long as you get all the necessary parts from the donor vehicle. I used the advise from here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...take-swap.html
That was a good read! I plan to refer back to it several times and I may end up doing this upgrade somewhere down the road.

Last night, I drove the 4Runner to work. I went about 12 miles and stopped at Subway for a bite to eat - the truck was parked for 10-15 minutes at the most. The engine was obviously still warm and when I cranked it up, the idle was extremely rough. The truck was jerking and bucking similar to what happens if you're sitting in gear and release your foot off the clutch.

I'll be looking at the IACV and testing it to the best of my ability. With the holidays right around the corner, I don't know how much attention I'll be able to give to the problem.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if I should I leave the 4Runner parked until I can get this straightened out?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NC87_Runner
The engine was obviously still warm and when I cranked it up, the idle was extremely rough. The truck was jerking and bucking similar to what happens if you're sitting in gear and release your foot off the clutch.
I did the late intake-throttle body swap which is great, now my truck idles up when the engine is cold all the time. But the problem you are describing is still happening when the engine is hot ever since i got the truck 9 years ago, park the truck for a few minutes comeback and restart it and it just idles really rough like crap. But i don't think it has anything to do with the auxiliary air valve at all, so i just learn to live with the problem and ignore it.

Last edited by maco35; 12-16-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Oops, thought I replied to this already.

I agree there's almost no chance your iacv is making the idle that rough at warm start-up.

My iacv was non-functional the first 4 years I had my '85 with the old-style valve and the worst symptom was a very low dropping idle on the coldest days at first start-up. Once in awhile it got so low that it would stall out in the driveway while I tried to warm the truck up before a drive. Those were all days that were below 20°F.

​​​​​​Got a timing light? Where's your timing set at and is the timing dot fairly steady when you check it?
Old 12-25-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/attachments...t-eg011-89.pdf
Old 12-26-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 832 Likes on 557 Posts
The link that Bad Karma posted above may be it. good luck!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:59 PM

A Short Pause - I'm Back!

Happy Holidays! It's been a little while, but I finally had a bit of time to mess around with the truck. Here's where I'm at:

This week I inspected the spark plugs, adjusted the idle speed, adjusted the timing and performed an oil change.

IMO the spark plugs were generally in good condition. They were the right kind - Denso plugs with Sumitomo wires. No excessive wear - maybe a bit of carbon deposit. I was comparing my spark plugs to what I saw in the Haynes manual, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. See pictures below. I did not replace the spark plugs at this time.

I got an Innova 3568 timing light for Christmas and this allowed me to check the idle speed and timing. According the factory service manual, target idle speed for the 22R-E is 750 rpm. When I checked my engine, the idle speed was set at around 1000 rpm. I tried 750 rpm and it just seemed to be too rough, so I think I've settled in for now at about 850 rpm. I believe I read somewhere that 850 is the target for a 22R-E with auto trans. If anyone has any thoughts or concerns, feel free to share.

After adjusting the idle, I checked out the timing. This was my first time doing this procedure and I found this video (below) to be helpful. It does a nice job supplementing the information in the factory service manual. Upon initial inspection, I found that the timing was more or less in spec. I made a minor adjustment, but nothing crazy.

The oil change was pretty routine. The oil was old and dirty, but it didn't look bad. I replaced the parts store oil filter with the tall Toyota filter: 90915-YZZD3. I don't live particularly close to the dealership, so I ordered the filter off of Amazon. I get free 2 day shipping with Prime and got 5 filters for $26.90. Seemed OK to me. I replaced the drain plug with a Fumoto F-103 drain valve. It seems that some people hate these and others love them. I love them. I have one on my car and it makes oil changes a breeze. I did keep the old drain plug though - just in case.

In the near future, I plan to remove the valve cover and take a look at the timing chain. I'll also be performing a compression test and want to get the valves adjusted and perform a general tune up. I'll be investigating why the truck consumes oil and troubleshooting a (possible?) fuel leak. There are also a few odds and ends that need to be replaced. I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. YotaTech is an incredible resource and I'm glad to be a part of the community.

Last edited by NC87_Runner; 12-28-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:08 PM

Thanks Bad Karma! Just wondering - is there a source to find these service bulletins?
Old 12-28-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure, I don't remember where (or when) I found this one... I think I ran across it linked on a Celica forum when searching for 22re stuff.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I just realized that the Temp switch no.2 referred to on this^^^ tech bulletin is the one on top of the thermostat housing shown in attachment. It is a single-wire switch, meaning it also gets its ground through its mounting threads, meaning its mounting threads should also be cleaned to bare, shiny metal just like the CSI timer switch's.
I still get my occasional rough idle after parking for a short while, so I'll double-check threads on mine soon, too.
Attached Thumbnails 1987 4Runner - Restoration and Preservation-screen-shot-2017-12-28-6.24.25-pm.png  
Old 12-29-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 452 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Batres
man i wish he made turbo badges!! those look clean
he does make turbo badges ive looked at his stuff on ebay, but at 150 a pair he sure is proud of them
Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 AM

I recently started following you on IG, funny that found you here within a few days. im keyappstate. following your resto closely, mostly because I fully intend on stealing part numbers and ideas haha. ill be putting my resto thread up soon enough.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by keycw
I recently started following you on IG, funny that found you here within a few days. im keyappstate. following your resto closely, mostly because I fully intend on stealing part numbers and ideas haha. ill be putting my resto thread up soon enough.
Nice! If your username refers to Appalachian State, that's where I graduated from too. You've been putting a lot of work into your 4Runner. I've seen a lot of things that you've posted on Instagram that I'm also interested in doing eventually. I hope you'll go into greater detail on YotaTech. Look forward to following your thread!
Old 12-29-2017, 02:00 PM

Nice! If your username refers to Appalachian State, that's where I graduated from too. You've been putting a lot of work into your 4Runner. I've seen a lot of things that you've posted on Instagram that I'm also interested in doing eventually. I hope you'll go into greater detail on YotaTech. Look forward to following your thread!
Yes i went from 07-11. Parks and rec. i had a red 88 1st gen with a trail gear sas and 6 inch lift springs on 37’s. Had long tube headers and dual magnas on it, if you were around you probably saw (or heard) it. Was a pos but a fun truck.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:57 PM

22R-E Vacuum Hose Label

Not much to report. The weather has been miserable and I've been sick as well... To keep myself busy, I like to experiment with ways to restore parts that are difficult or impossible to find. No detail is too small.

Whenever I pop the hood, my eyes tend to stray to the faded vacuum diagram and emissions labels - they drive me bananas! Unfortunately, neither sticker is available from Toyota (Vacuum Hose Diagram: 17792-35840 & Emission Control Label: 11298-3D010) so I decided to try to create a replica of the vacuum diagram in Photoshop. I'm definitely not a pro and it still needs some work, but I thought my initial attempt came out pretty good (below)!

Name:  Nj3ZxRjl.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  64.6 KB

I'd like to get this printed as a heavy duty sticker and replace the original whenever I paint the hood.I'm trying to make a list of other little things similar to this that I can work on - any suggestions? If anyone has the emissions sticker for the 22R-E that is not too faded or worn, I'd love to see a picture and try my hand at recreating it too. Here's mine (below).

I'll admit that I really love doing things like this - obsessing over the details and trying to duplicate the original as accurately as possible is a lot of fun!
Old 01-08-2018, 02:04 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
nice job on the hose route sticker. i believe scope103 produced something very similar, but it might have been for a later year model.

i'll try to remember to snap a photo of the emissoins tag from my '87 when it gets light out.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:49 AM

Nice! You should both of mine are gone id love to get a set. Did you see the gearbox and greasing card i ended up with?
Old 01-08-2018, 05:55 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts

Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
...i believe scope103 produced something very similar, but it might have been for a later year model. ...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ticker-302199/

Very nice work, NC87. User ksti printed a sticker on a sublimation press found at a trophy shop. He reported to me that it was very difficult to get it to work correctly (though the example he sent me was excellent.) You could print this with a laser printer onto "full sheet" label stock, but unless you protected the surface somehow (spray lacquer?) it might not fare well in the hot engine bay.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:51 AM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Here's another to work from

​​​​​​​
Old 01-09-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Not much to report. The weather has been miserable and I've been sick as well... To keep myself busy, I like to experiment with ways to restore parts that are difficult or impossible to find. No detail is too small.

Whenever I pop the hood, my eyes tend to stray to the faded vacuum diagram and emissions labels - they drive me bananas! Unfortunately, neither sticker is available from Toyota (Vacuum Hose Diagram: 17792-35840 & Emission Control Label: 11298-3D010) so I decided to try to create a replica of the vacuum diagram in Photoshop. I'm definitely not a pro and it still needs some work, but I thought my initial attempt came out pretty good (below)!

I'd like to get this printed as a heavy duty sticker and replace the original whenever I paint the hood.I'm trying to make a list of other little things similar to this that I can work on - any suggestions? If anyone has the emissions sticker for the 22R-E that is not too faded or worn, I'd love to see a picture and try my hand at recreating it too. Here's mine (below).

I'll admit that I really love doing things like this - obsessing over the details and trying to duplicate the original as accurately as possible is a lot of fun!
Nice job on the label!

You are like me in that even the smallest details are important. Nothing shows this more than making accurate reproduction labels!

At some point I need to find the label that goes on the top of the power steering reservoir. I accidentally wiped that label clean of lettering when wiping up spilled ATF for the Power Steering...