84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Hard passenger side pull while braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hard passenger side pull while braking

Alright guys, I need some help.

I posted about this in my build thread but that thread is already getting pretty junked up so I'm posting a new thread.

I have a 1985 4Runner SFA.
It has pulled to the right not only since the day I bought it but also since the day the PO before me bought it.
It still has the stock front steering with a slight modification/bracing done by the Wabbit to correct a problem we found during the suspension install.

So far I have...

-Taken it to a frame shop and had the frame checked and had a front sag fixed
-Installed all new OME suspension front and rear (springs and shocks)
-Replaced stock front calipers with re-built ones from Toyota
-Replaced brake lines (rubber ones, no hard lines yet)
-Bled the brakes multiple times

It tracks almost perfectly straight on the road, that's even after the lift with no alignment yet.
It ONLY starts to pull when you hit the brakes.

As soon as you depress the pedal you can feel it start to grab up front and it will start to pull, after a few feet and more pressure on the pedal it pulls very hard to the passenger side.
If I let go of the wheel while I brake the steering wheel turns to the left by itself immediately but to keep me from going into a ditch or the curb I have to correct it even more to stay straight.

I have already put a ton of money into this thing, which would be fine if it was safe to drive but right now if I had to make a sudden stop I would either roll it over or go into a ditch.

I have had two places look at it - Toyota and Midas.
Toyota is blaming it on a frame/suspension problem which isn't surprising.
Midas agrees that it is a braking problem since it only pulls when, lo and behold, I'm braking.

Next two things on the list are to replace the caliper hard lines in case they may be kinked or partially clogged.
If that doesn't do it I will go for the LSPV.

I need any and all ideas and thoughts on this, pretty soon I'm going to have to start thinking about whether I should keep it or not and I really just want to get this fixed and then hit the trails and be done with it.

You can check out my build thread for pics and other details.

Thanks in advance,

Fink
Old 09-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you might have a kinked line somewhere. Check over ALL the hard lines and looks for any visible damage.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Does the pull change with and without the torque rod installed? Without the rod it'll tend to pull to the driver's side as I recall. Also might try raising and lowering the LSPV sensing rod all the way each direction and see if that changes anything. For example if the pull is worse with higher rear brake bias, then the issue may be in the rear brakes. If it gets worse with lower rear brake bias, then it is probably in the front brakes.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Does the pull change with and without the torque rod installed? Without the rod it'll tend to pull to the driver's side as I recall. Also might try raising and lowering the LSPV sensing rod all the way each direction and see if that changes anything. For example if the pull is worse with higher rear brake bias, then the issue may be in the rear brakes. If it gets worse with lower rear brake bias, then it is probably in the front brakes.
The pull did not change with the torque rod installed and I think you're right about it pulling to the driver side without it.

Would the rear brakes cause that strong of a pull? Or that much movement in the steering wheel?
I never thought about it being the rear brakes...

The only reason I suspected the LSPV is I thought there could be a clog somewhere up front that is causing a pressure reduction to the driver side.

I guess I need to read up on the LSPV and learn a little more about it and go from there.

Thanks for your input Roger,

Fink
Old 09-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Check the LSPV, had the same issue...took me forever to run down the actual issue. Stupid little thing...Anyway you guys know how to get rid of it?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyotajake
Check the LSPV, had the same issue...took me forever to run down the actual issue. Stupid little thing...Anyway you guys know how to get rid of it?
So you had a passenger side pull that was caused by the LSPV?

Fink
Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 PM

yes sir.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:36 PM

Were the front pads changed at any time? I see the calipers were but no mention about the pads.

Do you have any leaks in the rear? Wheel cylinders or axle seals? Anything contaminating the rear shoes?

I don't believe is matters as much where you take it as it does the guy working on it at the shop. Most good techs won't work for Midas wages though. Someone has to though.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by desertcamper67
Were the front pads changed at any time? I see the calipers were but no mention about the pads.

Do you have any leaks in the rear? Wheel cylinders or axle seals? Anything contaminating the rear shoes?

I don't believe is matters as much where you take it as it does the guy working on it at the shop. Most good techs won't work for Midas wages though. Someone has to though.

Just my opinion.
Yes, the brakes were completely torn apart and put back together with new pads and pins.
I thought that maybe the calipers were bad so I had them replaced with re-built ones the other day.

Tech at Toyota says the axle is still crooked - I have yet to measure it myself.
It doesn't pull it all when driving down the road but the tech said that if it has been aligned then they may have just adjusted the toe to keep it from pulling.

Who knows, I'm still trying to track it down.

Fink
Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 PM

bad master cylinder
i had an 86 4runner and it would PULL when braking after we replaced the master cylinder it was fine. do the brakes feel spongy?