84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

air conditioning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air conditioning?

my ac isnt as cool as it can be and i was wonderin if anyone knew what kit to use to re charge it.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
If you just want a recharger kit go to Kragen.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 PM

is it 134a or what? i dont knwo what kit to get
Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by nomiss05
is it 134a or what? i dont knwo what kit to get
What year is it?

even if its not 134a, then you should probaly convert it, its not that hard

look in your owners manual, i think its in there
Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM

the conversion kits they have in autoparts stores is what id use right?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless someone already converted it, you are running r12. So you pretty much have three options

1. Convert to r134 and recharge yourself
2. Have a shop recharge you with r12
3. Recharge it yourself with an r12 substitute like Freeze12

I'm in the same boat as you. Last year I had a shop recharge me with r12. It cost $120 I think. It blew ice cold for about 2 months, then slowly started losing its cooling ability. 4 months after the recharge it was completely useless.

So currently I'm debating whether to convert to r134 or use freeze12. I haven't talked to anyone who has actually used freeze12, but I've heard tons of second hand opinions, both positive and negative. Maybe other people will chime in with their experience...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:39 PM

Never heard of freeze12 and I didn't know shops were even allowed to use R-12 anymore.

Kragen has the R-134 recharge kits and they also have conversion kits. But you get what you pay for and you would be shopping at Kragen. Just think of what you'd be driving if Kragen built your whole car.

So basically you have 2 choices...
-Cheap, maybe work for a while.
-Right, work like a Toyota should (note: wont be cheap)

Search Google, tons of stuff. You can even throw Toyota in the search and get alot of stuff about our trucks.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 PM

Everyone is right my Ac has been out for years and since I just rebuilt my motor I decided that cold AC would be nice so I ordered a new NIPPODENSO AC compressor and all the new fittings for the conversion total cost about $350 not cheap but you get what you pay for and now I have R134A system and recharging is CHEAP compared to the old R12 so save some money and do it right and you can Thank me later.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 PM

My A/C didn't work BEAUTIFULLY with the R134 kit, but I'd say it was worth it. The trick is to make sure there is NO R12 in the system. When combined the two gunk up your system (or so I'm told, I guess it'd make sense).

Anyway, mine stopped working for probably the same reason it didn't work in the first place: the system leaks. THe great thing is, you can pretty much access every line fitting and you'll only have to remove the grille.

After my second try (the following summer) the A/C system wouldn't accept refrigerant and the compressor was acting wacky. So I'm either out a compressor or a low pressure switch. It wasn't the conversion kit... just 25 year old parts. The compressor is usually the first to go out, considering it has the most moving parts in the entire system.

A/C systems aren't that difficult to figure out (on older vehicles like an 84 Toyota anyways).

You can actually find informative "homemade" videos on YouTube.

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 04-21-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stifun
Everyone is right my Ac has been out for years and since I just rebuilt my motor I decided that cold AC would be nice so I ordered a new NIPPODENSO AC compressor and all the new fittings for the conversion total cost about $350 not cheap but you get what you pay for and now I have R134A system and recharging is CHEAP compared to the old R12 so save some money and do it right and you can Thank me later.
i couldnt even tell yall what my a/c does. someone fell in my engine bay with a saw-zaw and my a/c fell out
Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 AM

So since I already have a known leak, converting to r134 won't fix a thing. If anything, it'll leak worse after doing the conversion. Is this right?

How much do you think it would cost if I took my truck into an AC shop to have them fix the leak and convert it to r134? Keep in mind that I don't know where the leak is coming from. However, I think all the major parts are working, since it worked great for the few months before the r12 leaked out.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Take it out and spend the money on a sun-roof!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:13 PM

The cost will be dependant on what is wrong. Coolant just does not dissipate. There is defintely a leak. Most of the repair price will probably be labor. If they do convert they will evacuate all the old freon and oil. Yes there is oil in the ac system. Also, seals will need to be changed because the latest freon will eat at the previous freon seals. If you need a new compressor, count on spending some bucks. You live in SoCal, so I suggest you do it. Hell I live in Missouri and the humidity totally makes it work!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by YodarStockRock
Dude I would rather have my windows glued shut that not have air conditioning.

And when he takes the A/C out where does he get the money for the sunroof? Sell old broken A/C parts?

A sunroof isnt gonna cool much. Probly just make it hotter cuz sunlight can come through your roof.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by YodarStockRock
Here's an example of irony...

I came home today, noticed that my the seats in my truck were forward, so I went out there to check what was up. To my dismay, someone had broken into my truck!!! They stole a really old alpine tape deck radio, AND my sunroof insert

The sunroof insert is what really makes me angry. That was the one thing that was keeping that truck somewhat cool. Plus, the fact that someone took it probably indicates that he/she probably owns a similar truck. Who else would think to take such a specific piece out of a 23 year old truck? I don't really care much about the radio, since it probably wasn't worth a thing. I'm furious that someone broke into my car

So if any of you in So Cal, specifically the Inland Empire, see an old alpine stereo or a sunroof insert visor for sale, let me know so some justice can be served.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:20 PM

Check CL auto parts list daily. I look through the electronics once in a while and lmao cuz you know 90% of that stuff is stolen. You see like 20 different sets of speaker and head units and the guys says "These are old systems I had in my car. I got a new one so I dont need these anymoe." lol
Old 04-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
Check CL auto parts list daily. I look through the electronics once in a while and lmao cuz you know 90% of that stuff is stolen. You see like 20 different sets of speaker and head units and the guys says "These are old systems I had in my car. I got a new one so I dont need these anymoe." lol
I'll definitely be doing that. However, I'm thinking that whoever took the stuff is likely keeping it. It was probably some teenage crackhead with the same truck, minus the radio and sunshade. He saw my truck parked out on the street and figured he'd take what he needed. All I know is that I'll be peeking into every old pickup and 4runner that I see around here from now on.

It could have been worse. He could have taken a bunch of other stuff, or even popped the hood and taken things from there.

My trucks definitely not being parked on the street anymore.