Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Signal Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Signal Light Issue

So, now that I have my truck running I am going over everything before I get the safety done. When I first started checking, all lights were working perfectly but now I have an issue with the signal lights that I hope you guys can point me in the right direction. My hazard lights work all the time but sometimes when I use the signals I can hear the flasher "ticking" fast like as if one of the bulbs are burned out. It happens for both left and right. Then I flip the hazards on and they work fine. After the hazards, I try the signals again and they work fine. I'm not running LED's, just factory style bulbs.

Is this a flasher issue?? I really hate electrical gremlins! I don't want this to be an issue for when I get the safety done so I appreciate your help!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Most likely bad TURN signal switch contacts.

Here's 1988 1983 TRUCK schematic. Should be same as yours... IGNORE NOTES. WIRE COLORS MAY BE DIFFERENT FROM YOURS.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-23-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:27 PM

Well, I apparently need much more electrical knowledge. This looks like a building escape route to me.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
no , flasher is not the problem .
I would replace bulbs first .. all of them in the signal system , there cheep enough !
typically the "fast flash" is a Toyota warning you have a burnt out bulb .

I would also check the grounds on the lamp housings .. I have had a few where the socket tubes are rusted .
Old 01-22-2018, 07:18 PM

A problem well-stated is almost solved.
Can you tell us exactly which light does not work? Left-front? Left-Rear? Right-front? Right-Rear? When you say it works with hazards, did you check around the truck to see that all of the 4 sides work?

Originally Posted by medicmoose
...when I use the signals I can hear the flasher "ticking" fast like as if one of the bulbs are burned out....
When this happened, did you check all the way around the truck and see any of the bulbs was not working?
Could be bulbs too, like slacker says above but IF a bulb is bad it would not work at all whether you are using hazard or turn signal.
Sometimes a bulb may look good upon VISUAL INSPECTION, ut may actually be bad. To verify you have a multi-meter (see my signature). Need to check all of the bulbs that do not seem to work.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-22-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
A problem well-stated is almost solved.
Can you tell us exactly which light does not work? Left-front? Left-Rear? Right-front? Right-Rear? When you say it works with hazards, did you check around the truck to see that all of the 4 sides work?

When this happened, did you check all the way around the truck and see any of the bulbs was not working?
Could be bulbs too, like slacker says above but IF a bulb is bad it would not work at all whether you are using hazard or turn signal.
Sometimes a bulb may look good upon VISUAL INSPECTION, ut may actually be bad. To verify you have a multi-meter (see my signature). Need to check all of the bulbs that do not seem to work.

When the hazards are on...everything works as it should. All lights light up and flash at the right speed. When I flip the signal light switch (if I haven't done anything beforehand)...no lights light up...I can hear the flasher ticking away quickly (faster than normal) but not even the dash indicators light up. When this happens I try the hazard lights and everything works and then when I try the signal lights...they work just as they are supposed to. It's as if turning the hazards on corrects the issue and allows the signals to go back to functioning properly.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:23 PM

I updated schematic above with one from 1983 truck FSM. (Looks same as 1988's)

... I try the hazard lights and everything works and then when I try the signal lights...they work just as they are supposed to...
Then while signal to one side is working, what happens when you switch signal to the other side?

Well, I apparently need much more electrical knowledge....
Do you have a multi-meter? (please see my signature)
With or without a multi-meter, yet, try these:
1) Pull out 7.5-amp "TURN" fuse, inspect for broken element, and clean pins, clean fuse holder contacts, re-install the fuse.
2) Pull-out turn signal flasher. Clean contacts down to bare, shiny metal.
3) Try turn signals again.

Once you have a multi-meter and are ready to dive into the wiring let us know. You may need to stick a multi-meter probe at least into the back of the connector going to the turn signal switch, and into the wires on the back of the relay block where the flasher is.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when electrical contacts wear out and become unconductive, sometimes heating them up helps them conduct electricity again. so when u turn on the hazzards it is resolving a contact issue somewhere by heating it up. it is probably doing this because the hazards sends the power to 4 or even 6 differemt globes, which sends a burst of current down the line heating up the contacts and giving enough current to get through the weakest links. It doesnt neccesarily have to be before the switch either. the problem can be one of the globes contacts, a wiring harness plug or even an earth on the other side of one of the bulbs.
sometimes when i have a no-start condition, temporarily running a jumper cable to the starter motor positive to assist in getting electrons to heat uo the area fixes the problem for a couole of days. This is just another example of the same phenomenon.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:59 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I'll take some time today and try the bulb replacement and cleaning of all contacts as pointed out. Then.....I'll go and get a multi-meter