Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Looking for the best carb and intake setup for my 22r.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for the best carb and intake setup for my 22r.

Been looking around for the best setup for my 83 22r. Currently has the weber 32/36 with the stock intake. I've hear d the stock intakes are pretty junk and that an aftermarket intake with the weber is a must pretty much. Truck runs decent but has a slight hiccup when getting on it, adjust the air mixture screw and seems to run best at about 3 turns out which they say anymore than 2 1/2 is to lean. I plan on getting a jet kit and rejetting as most people say they had to do with theres also. Just looking for some input on anyone else's builds and what worked best for them? Thoughts were getting an offy intake and rejetting carb but heard mixed reviews on the offy intakes. I appreciate any input, thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What has been done tuning/jetting wise? What is your elevation? Is this a DD or play toy? What eelse has been done to the engine besides the 32/36?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Stock Asian carb with Canadian emissions (that would be none) on Offy dual plane.Stock distributor set for 10 degrees static timing. Pulls good in low end, falls on its face over 4500rpm, reasonably maintains 100 to 110 KPH speed limits in Alberta with 31" rubber and 4.10 gears. Usually only have to down shift to 4th coming up out of river valleys or heading into BC through the mountains.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
What has been done tuning/jetting wise? What is your elevation? Is this a DD or play toy? What eelse has been done to the engine besides the 32/36?
As far as jetting goes nothing has been done that I know of, just picked the truck up awhile ago, I just adjusted the idle mixture screw cause the guy had it all out of wack and it helped the idle out big time and know more backfiring when downshifting, I've played with fuel pressure from 2-3. It's my dd but I'll definitely take it out wheeling. Engine is stock, still stock exhaust manifold with original catalytic converter and exhaust cutoff at rear end. Plan on redoing exhaust and maybe finding some headers too. Egr has been blocked off and dont have to worry about emmisions where I live.

Last edited by 83yota_; 06-14-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 83yota_
As far as jetting goes nothing has been done that I know of, just picked the truck up awhile ago, I just adjusted the idle mixture screw cause the guy had it all out of wack and it helped the idle out big time and know more backfiring when downshifting, I've played with fuel pressure from 2-3. It's my dd but I'll definitely take it out wheeling. Engine is stock, still stock exhaust manifold with original catalytic converter and exhaust cutoff at rear end. Plan on redoing exhaust and maybe finding some headers too. Egr has been blocked off and dont have to worry about emmisions where I live.
With a stock engine you have plenty of carb with a 32/36 - but it hasn't been tuned or probably even tested. I'll presume you have a fuel psi regulator. The psi should be 2.5 - otherwise you push fuel when and/or where it isn't needed.

If you're going to do the exhaust do that before you tune/test/jet the carb. The header etc will catch the engine up with the carburation you have. An intake manifold would be a waste of time & money at this point.

What is your elevation?
Old 06-14-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
With a stock engine you have plenty of carb with a 32/36 - but it hasn't been tuned or probably even tested. I'll presume you have a fuel psi regulator. The psi should be 2.5 - otherwise you push fuel when and/or where it isn't needed.

If you're going to do the exhaust do that before you tune/test/jet the carb. The header etc will catch the engine up with the carburation you have. An intake manifold would be a waste of time & money at this point.

What is your elevation?
Im a little under 900 above sea level. Yea I figured the 32/36 was plenty as most guys run those with most 22r that aren't built. Yes I have a fuel pressure regulator and is set at 2.5 right now. I plan on doing the exhaust this weekend to see how much it helps. And the reason I said intake too because most people say that the stock isn't as good as a dual plane offy when it comes to that weber, but have also heard different hear and there.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:06 PM

Im a little under 900 above sea level. Yea I figured the 32/36 was plenty as most guys run those with most 22r that aren't built. Yes I have a fuel pressure regulator and is set at 2.5 right now. I plan on doing the exhaust this weekend to see how much it helps. And the reason I said intake too because most people say that the stock isn't as good as a dual plane offy when it comes to that weber, but have also heard different hear and there.
Some guys like to say they have this or that part(s), but A LOT of the time people have mismatched big name pieces that just sound cool.

If you look at LC Engineering’s site where they talk about the Offy manifold it is pitched for a “High Performance” engine. That is things like increased CR, increased flow (head & valve work), and a cam to support the CR & head.

I would love to have an Offy 4 cylinder engine (they’ve made great stuff) to play with – but I wouldn’t put it on the street.

And really, headers alone aren’t really “High Performance”, but a good step on a stock engine.

How many miles on the engine?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:53 AM

About 170k
Old 06-15-2018, 07:05 AM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Yeah, at this stage, on a mostly stock truck, an Offenhauser intake manifold isn't going to net you any real gains. The stock 22r intake manifold isn't a terrible design. It just doesn't quite keep up when you start upgrading internal components for more HP.

You could invest in the LC, 1-piece Weber to stock 22R adapter to replace the Weber 2-plate adapter instead. This would almost certainly insure that you don't have any vacuum leaks on the intake side of the motor. Those pesky vacuum leaks will rob you of HP and consistency far more than the stock intake manifold design.
I definitely recommend getting a jet kit and methodically jetting your carburetor until you are within Weber's spec for lean best idle tuning. Make sure your timing is set correctly and you don't have any unplugged or open vacuum ports.

So long as you don't ever have the expectation that something you bolt up or re-tune is going to suddenly unlock serious HP that's been hiding in that 22R all along, you'll have fun tuning.
My 22R is bored .020 over, has a Crawler Cam, headers to a full 2.5" exhaust, and a Weber 38/38 and I'd be really surprised if I'm much over 100HP. Compared to other 22R motors I've driven it gets up and moves and I can run 80mph down the interstate on 35's without trying too hard. But the reality of it is that all that work didn't really net much additional power.
My next upgrade will be a 3RZ swap.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:14 AM

Yea I know 22r dont have a lot of power even after doing some work to them, mine cruises 70 on 33s on the highway pretty easy but I live in the country and it's fairly hilly so when pulling hills I have to downshift to 4th but overall runs good. Just the slight hiccup when getting on it so I planned on jetting for sure and changing the exhaust on it now. Dont want to be wheeling and have issue with it cutting out getting on it a bit. I dont mind spending the money on different parts if they will give me just the slightest gains so was just curious on what everyone thought. I appreciate the info, I'm gonna double check all the vacuum lines and the timing before I mess with anything and then go from there.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 AM

About 170k
I would do a compression test to see where it stands - costs nothing and gives you a picture of where it is in it's life.

You could at the same time clean and gap the plugs and do a quick run and plug check to see if the plugs look rich or lean.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:25 AM

Is it better to have the stock Asian carb or the Weber? I’m in CA and doing a resto. Needing help with an Asian carb. What did you eventually end up with and how did it turn out.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:33 AM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
Go with the weber and send me your aisin

But in all seriousness for tuning the stock carb look on youtube at 13swords videos. Very straightforward tuning procedures. He is also on the board and answers questions THOROUGHLY. Best of luck

Last edited by swampedout; 09-29-2019 at 07:35 AM.