Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

82 22r carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 22r carb issues

Hey im new to the forums but i figure this is the best way to get some help. I have an 82 toyota with a carb(stock carb) ran fine when i bought it and then all of a sudden out of nowhere, after about a month of driving it starts loosing power i have confirmed its something with the carb. Becuase when i adjust the idle and timing and mess with it for about an hour it will "work" for a little bit then the next day same issue. would idle fine and rev up ok but seemed like there was some delay in the throttle response.

Cannot figure out what it is but almost 100% positive it is a carb issue

now it will fire up but if i dont give it some gas it will die after about 4 seconds but when i lay into it with my foot there is some serious lag between throttle response and has little to no power (can barely move it 4 feet into the garage). will no longer idle and whatever i do it will not idle any better.

Could really use some help or atleast some suggestions
Thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Replace the easy stuff first. Fuel filter is always a big one. Cheap and easy as hell, too. Check the float bowl level on the carb. Make sure the EGR isn't stuck open. Make sure the coil isn't malfunctioning. Could be a bad diaphram in the carb, too. Certainly spray the carb with cleaner and see if that helps. Check for vacuum leaks with some starter fluid. Make sure a vacuum hose didn't come loose. But definitely see if the carb is either flooding, or not getting fuel by checking the float bowl level
Old 04-23-2010, 02:54 PM

well i already tried the carb cleaner method and nothing came up, so i think ive ruled out hose leakage. however on another forum i read someone had the same symptoms as me, and they said to check the auxilliary accelerator pump for a cracked diaphram which im going to check right now.

However i will look at the floats because i have not already, and thats a good idea
Old 04-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Yeah, far as I know, a malfunctioning AAC will only maybe cause some hesitation when you really stomp the gas. But maybe that's if you plug it off...maybe some fuel getting into the vacuum system when it's all hooked up could cause this. Easy enough to look into anyways. Just pull the vacuum hose & smell for gas.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:29 PM

ya i think i will try smelling for gas in some of the vacuum hoses, i have actually herd that from alot of people on some other forums but ive only tried that on the CB. I think i will check that tomorrow, and i think i will invest the 50 dollars in the carb rebuild kit. Because i think it might solve part, if not all of my problems. And if it is not that then i will check the fuel pump next.

By any chance would you know if the Headman chikara headers fit on the rest of the stock exhaust with out any modifications? because i would like to purchase them and from the picture it looks like you would be able to, but you never know
Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Cool, let us know what you find.

No idea about the header.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:32 PM

i never ended up buying the carb rebuild kit, however i did clean most of the carb and some of the vacuum lines, and i sprayed the whole carb with carb cleaner and it seemed to do the trick it no longer does all that bad stuff and it idles great now and has great throttle response. i think there must of just been a build up of dirt in the carb, and i must of just cleaned it out for i ran it around town all day and even bought some carb cleaner fuel additive which helped even more.

even though i was sceptical that, that would fix it, it must of because it runs fine now

Thanks for your help, if you know anyone who knows about headers you should let me know
Old 04-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Get a "tri Y" header as oppose to a "4 into 1" style header. I have run both types, tri Y design is way better IMO. Not sure if anything will bolt straight up to stock ex. without mods. Doubt it.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:31 PM

what headers (company) have you run and which would you recommend??

Also i have one other problem with my toyota it seems to run fine but if you put it in 4x4 high it has almost no power and has trouble lugging around. at first i thought it was just my tires but i dont think that would do it. Its weird because i have all the power i want in 4x4 low
Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 PM

I've been useing NWOR-(North West Off Road) triY header and LCE-(LC Engineering) "street" header. Both have been good investments... I felt the 4 into 2 into 1 or triY header provided more noticeable gains... better fit to. I guess year to year model to model these factors could change a bit.
If your set on running stock exhaust, get a connector pipe with the header order. You might be able to reach your cat with that after some cuts. Either way you will prob need a quick weld or trip the muff shop Should just go new all the way back though if the $ around. 2" - 2 1/4".

Not sure about the 4x ish. If your tires are huge, I could see that affecting things... Try a few searches here, these guys can figure anything out.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:12 PM

Thanks alot for the help with the Headers, although what i meant was that i have new exhaust all the way back except the pipe from the headers to the cat and i was hoping that whatever headers i get will eathier fit on that pipe or take the place of it.

but ya all i have for tires on that thing is 33x12.5 so i dont know if that would do it,

But who should i ask on these forums about the 4x4 problem??
Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 PM

were can you find prices on the NWOR headers??
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM

I know, there is no prices on anything! You have to call them.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

ya thats kinda lame that they dont list them, i will have to call them but thanks for notifying me