Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

81 pickup multiple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok on transmissions what is different between 4 speed and 5 speed other than one gear. is one longer than the other and will there transfer cases bolt up to each other
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The "L" series transmissions are the same length (I'm 98% sure on this). If you went with a L50 (81-82, decent) or L52 (83, better) it should be a straight "bolt in and go" situation. Marlin Crawler's website has tons of info on this. I believe the "W" and "G" series trannys are different length and require crossmember and driveline mods.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 PM

ok thanks and how much could i get for a 81 4 speed its not messed up or anything i just got a person wanting it and i don't know what they go for used
Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 PM

well trying to decide on building a mean 22r or going ahead and putting a 350 in it what are ya'lls opinion
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My vote is for the 350, but I have one and just like to see the v8 trucks.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM

22r is MUCH easier and cheaper.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by cman1
22r is MUCH easier and cheaper.
Depends on what you call easy or cheep. I just bought a running truck when I started my swap and built everything else. Wasn't that hard and a sbc is a really simple engine to work on and parts are a dime a dozen. Plus it's cheep horsepower. And with the right exhaust sound great! They just get bad fuel mileage, but I would rather pay for fuel for the sound.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 AM

With the 350 you're looking at ALSO changing out the transmission, transfer case, driveline mods, fabing motor mounts, New springs to handle all the weight, and cutting the firewall to clear the distributor that chevy stupidly put in the back. Stick with all toyota, especially on a good looking first gen!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
There is nothing "cheap" about doing a 350 swap. Yes, 350 parts are generally cheap and abundant, but getting the 350 in there is a whole other project in itself. Like Bingle said, it's not just swapping the engine, you have to rework the drive train and what you cut corners on will eventually break with the extra power. I just rebuilt my 22R for about $1,400, but I went all out (see the thread in my signature). I did all new accessories, water pump, timing cover, LCE block off plates, hoses, Head, etc. I also had the best machine shop on the east coast do my machine work, which doesn't come cheap. Realistically, you can rebuild a 22R for about $700-800. Parts for a 22R are rather cheap if you don't mind searching for good deals. Personally, I think 350's are overkill in these little trucks. Unless you're pushing super big tires or have a legitimate reason to have a 350, you're just overpowering a tiny truck.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Building the mounts aren't that hard for some people. Plus I didn't cut my firewall and I ran just plain skyjacker lift springs for a long time and it didn't sit too low in the front. Although I'll agree depending on you fab skills its not an overnight project and not a project for everyone to tackle, but for others it's not any harder than any other swaps are. I personally just like the v8 swaps in the toyotas. Everyone has their own thought and I like too see a toyota built up any way you decide to go about it. If you have some fab skills its really not as hard as some people say.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I agree with Travis, if you don't have fab skills accompanied by mechanical skills then the swap probably isn't for you. And like he said, it's preference. I too enjoy watching these old trucks get resurrected. The only thing I can't stand is when somebody hacks up a perfectly good bed. I've been searching for a good shortbed on the mid east coast for over a year while I watch people on here "modify" and destroy them wheeling.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:23 PM

i have the fab skills not a problem and the mechanical skills i can build 350 for little bit of nothing since i'm all around dirt track racing(working on one on my free time now for fun). transmission i would use adapter plate for the 5 speed and i know 22r would be easier but i go through them faster than i get pay checks they just won't hold for some reason. this is not a nice looking 1st gen. its rusted in alot of spots
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM

and i do most of my own builds since i already do it on other peoples stuff(diesel mechanic)
Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 PM

kawazx636 that is a great build what i want to do if i decide to keep the 22r with a little more performance done to it my only problem is i don't want to spend that much and it mess up the first mud hole i go in
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Travis looked at some of your threads i have to say your truck is awesome a lot like i want mine besides i never thought of the full floater and dual transfers but thats not a bad idea. How hard is the dual transfers to do?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I've rebuilt a lot of motors (A couple Fords, a couple small block Chevs, 3 22R's and a boat load of Kawasaki and Suzuki motorcycle engines) and the 22R is by far the easiest rebuild I have ever done. I rebuilt a 22R about a year ago that my friend has put through an absolute torture test - he tows loads that I never thought any 4banger could tow, he completely submerged the motor twice and rips on the beach dunes at least once a week. It's got about 15,000 angry miles on it since the rebuild and refuses to quit and fires up everytime! Quite frankly I'm amazed, but I just keep telling him that he can't destroy any engine that I build! LOL

Bottomline though, if built properly, the 22R will be a durable, hearty and reliable motor. When I comes to power, it is obviously preference between the scrappy 22R and bigger V6 and V8 motors.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM

I agree with kawazx636 on the 22r is a great engine. I think the which one is easier to build is just preference and experience on that particular engine. I had a 22r 5spd in mine with a header flowmaster webber k&n and 5.29's. ran Awesome! Started every time really easy. Never let me down, but just didn't have the power or the sound I liked. So I traded fuel mileage and ease of simple bolt on factory parts for the fun of a v8. Went from 14-16 mpg to 8-9 mpg and nothing just bolts up. Everything is one off custom, but I wouldn't do it different. Just my opinion from what I like. I wouldn't have the truck still it I was done tinkering on it.

As far as the dual cases go its just a matter or bolting the cases together with the adapter and hooking up the shifters. I built a new floor tunnel over my shifter and modified them some to shorten them and change the angle a bit. I also built my own crossmember and just haven't got around to building my drivelines yet. I still need steering and finish my brakes so drivelines are no hurry since I can't steer anyway.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM

yeah my 22r was great at the beginning cranked great then it started having a miss and all went down from there now i got to get it pulled started but still going with a knock. if i do another 22r i have to get another one this one is just about un fixable with everything wrong with it i just don't want to keep putting money in 22rs if they are just going to mess up again because like most teens i got a lead foot and rough on things. with the 350 it would be a fun project i think and can get it done pretty cheap believe it or not i'm still confused what to do i know the 22r is easy and wont take long but scared it wont hold
Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM

22R not hold up?????? Seriously?
I had 420,000 miles on my original engine. It didn't die, it just got really tired. The truck was used and abused before I got it as my first car at 383k mi. It was my daily driver so I didn't have time to rebuild so I just threw a 200k mi junkyard engine in (that ran like a top) while I saved money to rebuild/get performance parts on the original (I was a led footed high school/college kid). I have about 80k on my rebuild and I still drive it like I stole it 75% of the time. Show me a 350 with over 200k that hasn't been babied it's whole life.

Do what you want. 350's are a fine engine, but don't go claiming they hold up better than a 22R, especially not on this site. Half the reason people love these trucks so much is because the engines are so bomb proof.

Well, enough of that rant. Not trying to flame ya, just expressing my very strong opinion on the subject. Good luck with whatever engine you choose.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 AM

Yeah understand they last longer without a doubt i seen em with more miles than that but just me personally just went through two that ran great then went mudding and one threw a rod other is knocking this has happened in the past month. If anyone can tell me how to get them to hold up to high rpm and punishment i would gladly put one in it or in the 82 I'm debating on getting

Quick Reply: 81 pickup multiple questions