Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22r Carb Float Level too High.. What happens?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r Carb Float Level too High.. What happens?

What happens if the carb float level is too high? I rebuilt the carb last week hoping to get rid of backfiring on deceleration when shifting at high rpm. Didnt have any luck. I found that the choke wasnt opening all the way the primary was barely opening and the secondary was completely closed. So just took the choke butterflies off. Which got my idle down to normal.. and will probably help with gas mileage. Had to readjust the mixture screw to get it to run right again while idling. And readjusted the timing a bit. I've got it to quit spitting and sputtering at low RPM's... But it still backfires on deceleration when shifting at high RPMs.

Also and this is my biggest concern at the moment, when I push the gas pedal down more than have way the engine will start cutting out and bogging down really bad til I let it back up to the half way point.. As long as I dont give it anymore gas than that it runs smooth and strong (has a bit of miss every now and then at an idle but nothing major). The problem of bogging down when giving too much gas just arose after removing the choke butterflies. I noticed today that the fuel level in the site glass is pretty high probably higher than it should be (maybe an 1/8th inch from the very top), could this be the cause? Any suggestions?

I would have already adjusted it to try it but I'm stuck at work until Monday unfortunately.. Just trying to get some ideas before then.

Thanks

Last edited by rcknrolfender79; 08-30-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuel filters maybe?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by gillesdetrail
fuel filters maybe?
Been wondering about them myself. Unfortunately wont be able to check it out til tomorrow. Only thing that throws me off is it only bogs down under load. If its in neutral I can give it all the gas I want and it does fine.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes well that COULD be because of fuel starvation, when in neutral even if you floor it you don't have the same load as in gear so less fuel demand. Symptoms of a clogged fuel filter is exactly that, may run fine on idle, cruising at low rpm or in neutral, but as soon as you ask for more there is not enough fuel flow. When it cuts and bogs does it seem to run rich (black smoke out the exhaust, burnt fuel smell)?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by gillesdetrail
Yes well that COULD be because of fuel starvation, when in neutral even if you floor it you don't have the same load as in gear so less fuel demand. Symptoms of a clogged fuel filter is exactly that, may run fine on idle, cruising at low rpm or in neutral, but as soon as you ask for more there is not enough fuel flow. When it cuts and bogs does it seem to run rich (black smoke out the exhaust, burnt fuel smell)?
Haven't really payed attention much as I try not to do it. I actually got hit yesterday!!! Some clown backed into me and crunched my passenger door! Been dealin with that today had to take a break from the mechanical side of things to get lookin good again.

Not sure this truck is bringing me luck.. I just bought it last friday.. I went into walmart a couple days after I bought it and came out to find a new dent and black paint in my bed on the driver side... Nothing major just enough for me to know some asshole hit me and ran. I should be able to pull it easy enough.. But still some people are so inconsiderate its unbelievable. Thought about going and having them get on the security cameras for me but I figured its more of a hassle than its worth as the truck already has a fair share of dents and scratches.

Then yesterday I'm waiting on a parking spot at a gas station when this dill weed just decides not to pay attention to whats behind him and CRUNCH! Luckily the jack ass had insurance... found a door(same color as my truck) in town for $30 plus my old one lol. Gonna pick the door up tomorrow and get it on my truck.. then maybe I can get back to the running issue.

I was also lucky that it didnt damage the frame at all... just the door so wont need any major work.

I'll let you know what I find when I get back to the bogging down issue.

Last edited by rcknrolfender79; 09-01-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:04 PM

My 81 is doing the exact same things as yours is and I cannot figure it out. My timing is on ive tryed anywhere from 0* to 8* advanced all the same deal with it cutting out. I replaced my fuel filter in my engine bay. I think thats the only one on the truck. Ever figure it out? I know the thread is old...
Old 03-10-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chadr7850
My 81 is doing the exact same things as yours is and I cannot figure it out. My timing is on ive tryed anywhere from 0* to 8* advanced all the same deal with it cutting out. I replaced my fuel filter in my engine bay. I think thats the only one on the truck. Ever figure it out? I know the thread is old...
Man this has been a while ago.. Wish I would have updated it when I fixed it..I dont exactly remember right off.. Im thinking it was due to the float level in the carb. As well as being a little out of time. I didnt/dont have a timing light so I cant tell you how far it was out.. I just played with til it seemed to run good. I cant remember if the float was too high or too low.. I had to tinker with it to get it right.. All in all Ive learned these old toyota carbed R engines are very touchy. And you gotta have almost everything within the width of a hair on a nats ass for it to run optimally lol. At least that has been the case with mine and the stock carb. You may also pull the top of the carb off and look in the bowl.. Make sure its clean. I had an issue with mine getting dirty and clogging up and it caused similar symptons before just completely quitting. Ended up adding a second filter (yes there is only one on it stock) right before the carb as this happened again after replacing the filter.. So it the crud that was in my carb had to be coming from somewhere after the filter.

Hope this helps you out..

Oh also if you didnt know already you're supposed to pull one of the hoses off the vacuum advance to adjust timing... Cant remember which.. Just do some googling on it and you'll find it.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:25 PM

The float level on my 84 was way up there to the top of the glass before I fixed it. It seemed to run fine that way with no bogging etc. The problem was when I would try to restart it after it sat for 10-15 minutes, It would flood and I would have to hold the pedal all the way to the floor and crank for a bit before it would fire at which point-lots of black smoke and misfiring. Once the excess fuel was burned it was fine. It is now at about half way up the glass and runs about the same as it did, just no more starting problem.