Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1983 4wd Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 4wd Won't Start

Ok here's the deal. A week ago the truck ran fine, but I needed to replace the intake manifold gasket, So I did that and fixed a few odd and end leaks along the way. Reinstalled the intake and now the truck won't even act like it wants to start. All the grounds are good and tight.
When I put the Key in I get the buzzer, turn the key forward no dash lights come on, But Hazard lights, Head lights , break lights work good . No turn signals, No radio, and most importantly starter does nothing at all. Everything of importance is new besides the brake booster and master cylinder. I check the fuses under the dash and found the fuse cover holding water, so I replace all the fuses and dryed the fuse box good. But still no luck. The starter relay on the fender is new, as well. Kinda stumped now guys. Any help?

Old 07-06-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
All the grounds are good and tight
Just grounds? How about positive connections to battery? Bare, shiny metal tightly touching bare, shiny metal?
Got a multi-meter?
How about tail lights?
No sounds?
No clicks?

It's hard to visualize whats going on from miles away.
Mind listing in a more organized manner what you have in front of you?
What works?
1)
2)
3)

What doesn't work?
1)
2)
3)

Also wondering... You have an 1983 and it has a starter relay? That's unusual.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a reason you don't have a vacuum line going to your dizzy
Old 07-06-2017, 06:08 PM

Hey BootScoot, Yea I was in the process of replacing all the hoses when I took those pictures.

No Multi Meter...dog chewed it up. Seriously lol.

The silver box bolted to the inside driver fender next to the coil I assumed that was a relay...its new as well as the coil.

What works
Put key in ignition - Buzzer
Hazard lights work
Parking lights, brake lights work
Headlights work

What doesn't work
Turn key full forward - no clicks, no lights in the dash work. Usually, when the key is turned forward I get 2 red lights that go off after truck starts. I think its Brake and Oil but now nothing.
No clicks or any sounds under the hood truck does nothinging.

I tried 3 different brand new batteries and nothing changed.
All 3 batteries had good solid connections, all ground wires are new, shiny and in proper locations on bare metal.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 PM

Can't see if your igniter wire is hooked up to your distributor plug.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by MartyMar502
...No Multi Meter...dog chewed it up. Seriously lol.
For what you're dealing with you need a multi-meter. No excuse. I always have a $8 Harbor Freight one in my truck. There's even a $7 one.
The silver box bolted to the inside driver fender next to the coil I assumed that was a relay...its new as well as the coil.
You mean net to the wiper motor... Yes, that's a starter relay surprised to see it on a 1983. There's probably also a wiring issue with it, but we'll worry about that later.
(Schematic below is for my 1986 but should be close.)

What works, key in ign Buzzer, Hazard lights, Parking lights, brake lights, Headlights
By "parking light" you mean it includes the dash backlighting, correct? So Dash backlighting works?
All these take power from lines "A" and/or "B". Those are before the IGN switch and powered only by fusible link.

What doesn't work: Turn key full forward - no clicks, no (ERROR/warning?) lights in the dash work. Usually, when the key is turned forward I get 2 red lights that go off after truck starts. I think its Brake and Oil but now nothing. No clicks or any sounds under the hood truck does nothing ... I tried 3 different brand new batteries ....
That nothing happens when you turn IGN nor put it in Start means no power goes to your ignition switch.
AM1 and/or AM2 fuse OR wiring between that and IGN switch, or wiring between those and 40-amp fusible link could be bad.
Definitely need your multi-meter.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM

UPDATE. Well I located the issue that caused me to lose power to my turn signals and wipers, which also for some reason caused a no spark issue from the coil. It was a small green wire that was attached to the positive side of the battery. I still can't start the truck from the key though. I ended up hooking up one of those bump switches so I could at least crank the engine over. Now I have other issues. But this weekend my brother is stopping by and is going to go through everything with his multimeter. He wires hot rods and stuff for a living.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by MartyMar502
UPDATE. Well I located the issue that caused me to lose power to my turn signals and wipers, which also for some reason caused a no spark issue from the coil. It was a small green wire that was attached to the positive side of the battery. .
Care to share what was wrong and how you fixed it, so others may learn from your experience? That's one purpose of having this forum.

... I ended up hooking up one of those bump switches so I could at least crank the engine over. ...
If the bump switch consistently cranks the starter , it confirms that your truck needs a starter relay. This post explains why and how to fix it(https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52297396)

my brother is stopping by and is going to go through everything with his multimeter. He wires hot rods and stuff for a living.
Awesome!

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 07-12-2017 at 10:24 PM.