Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Stock radio with no sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock radio with no sound

Hi, I have a 1995 4runner with the factory am/fm tape 3cd changer. The radio and cd turn on, I can change songs, cd's and radio stations, but have no sound either front or rear. I tried searching but couldn't find anything helpful. I've owned the truck for a few weeks and it was like this when I bought it. I did check to see that the speakers were there and connected and I tried the volume, fade and left right and still have no sound out of any speakers. I haven't pulled the radio out to inspect the wiring in the back of it. Does anyone know if I can remove the radio cd player unit w/o pulling the dash? I know with ford products u need a special tool (known as a bent coathanger) to release some locks on the side and pull the radio out, but I'm at a loss with the toyota. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks, Jake.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
welcome to YT!

sounds like the factory stereo is dead. if it turns on and all that then sounds like something is blown inside that controls the output, like the amp. i wouldn't even bother trying to fix it, it's ancient technology. if you're going to pull out the radio to check connections, you might as well just swap the thing out for a new unit and be sure to get your tunes going again. I can almost guarantee that any new unit you replace it with will be superior to the factory one, even a $50 unit could be superior. I replaced mine with a $70 sony unit and couldn't be happier. It'll also give you options to add in things that you didn't have before like aux input, etc.

IIRC, the removal of the head unit is pretty simple, but does require removing sections of the dash to access it. I don't think you can pull them straight out like other vehicles because they're screwed into a bezel behind the face panel of the center section. I recall having to remove the two lower dash panels and glove box in order to access the mounts that clip the center panel in place, then you have access to the stereo etc. It's not a difficult task, just takes time to find all the screws and clips. you can also pick up a wiring harness adapter that will save you from cutting/splicing wires.

check out the factory service manual for more specific instructions on how to take the dash apart if you like. you can find it HERE
Good luck!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM

radio will not pull out like a ford, you have to basically take most of the lower dash apart to get it out. check your fuses, if you have the 3 disc changer head unit and its stock, you have the amplified system. there may be a fuse to the amp blown, it is possible that you have a bad radio, but more likely a blown fuse or bad amplifier.

REMEMBER, search is your friend, this popped up on google for me:

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/869017.pdf

good luck

Last edited by drpdmazda; 01-24-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the input, I have a copy of the FSM and had seen that link about the radio removal but was hoping there was an easier way. I looked at fuses in the fusebox by the drivers footwell but am lacking an owners manual to locate specific fuses for the amplifier (if they might be elsewhere). I'll look again. I'm pretty decent with electronics, if anyone could point me to where the factory amplifier lives I may try looking for a signal from the radio there. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
pretty sure it's buried behind the dash, like somewhere between the radio and the ashtray.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its in the panels in the back cargo area. but the amps only control the rear speakers so its probably not your ghost because you said the fronts dont work either
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the help, I guess I'll be pulling the radio out this weekend and probably looking for a cheap deck to replace it with, if I don't find anything obvious when I remove it.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
its in the panels in the back cargo area. but the amps only control the rear speakers so its probably not your ghost because you said the fronts dont work either
x2 for amp location, and i forgot that small fact that the amp only runs the rears. I dont think it would be that one of the two wire harnesses werent plugged in due to the fact that the plug with power also has speaker leads in it. may be leaning more towards a bad radio. or could honestly have all of your speakers blown. try pulling one of the dash speakers and put a multi meter to it, you can use the tone setting to see if it possibly has a bad voice coil, you could use the ohm setting to see if its reading the correct load, or you can try to "pop" it with a 9v battery.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Well today I got a chance to pull the radio out, and while I was at it I pulled the front speakers and one of the rears to test. The 3 speakers I checked all work fine, and I bench tested the radio and there's no output, so it looks like I'll be shopping for a cheap head unit. Pulling the radio was easier than I was expecting, just had to remove the driver and passenger lower dash pieces then the center. Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll post an update once i get a new radio in and working.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 PM

some of them have a factory amped system for all of the speakers. mine did a when i put my system in it was a bit fun as the keyless also runs through the sound system. so if yours is the same way be mindful of where you run your new decks wires to. because if the amp is working now it may go out in the future and you will be in the same boat if you hook it to the wrong side of the amp.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Well my procrastination finally paid off. Scored a working factory radio out of a newly added 4runner in my local U-pull it yard. Radio came out of a 92 and plugged right in, as did the factory cd changer. New radio works well as does the cd changer. Thanks everyone for you replies.