The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Finished my Rock Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finished my Rock Sliders

Finally got my rock sliders finished. Pretty basic design. My cousin helped me weld them since I have no idea how to weld. Took us about six hours to finish them. Spread out over a period of about 4 months... I'm extremely happy how they turned out, way better than I expected. Since these turned out so well, I think I might start to make more.

Sorry for the bad lighting in the pictures and how durty the runner is. Its snowing out and I took these after dark, Ill take better pictures once this storm blows over tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:53 PM

Extremely well built sliders. Very very impressive. I just test fitted some snow chains using my highlift and my sliders to make it easier...wow yet another use for my custom built sliders. I never knew I would use them in so many different ways until I had them.
I'm sure you'll find the same with your new addition!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

very nice, im impressed, now lets go test them out, wooohoooo, did someone say "slidder check" ?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:04 AM

Did you weld them straight to the frame? If so, in your future ones you build it's recommended that you weld them to a diamond shaped plate on the frame, because the frame could possibly tear if you don't.

Chris
Old 12-07-2005, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice... One day Ill finish mine, one day
Old 12-07-2005, 07:12 AM

Nice. I do agree with ravencr though. When I put sliders on my 93 my brother and I welded 5-6" pieces of 3" angle iron to the frame and then welded the sliders to that. You don't need anything like that, it was probably overkill, but something to help spread the load over more of the frame is a good thing.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Definitely inspiration for me. I have a few design ideas, and I'm hoping after the new year to get the steel and start making them. Yours look great, Dekri!

ravencr, explain what you mean by "diamond shaped plates", I'm trying to visualize what you mean. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Definitely inspiration for me. I have a few design ideas, and I'm hoping after the new year to get the steel and start making them. Yours look great, Dekri!

ravencr, explain what you mean by "diamond shaped plates", I'm trying to visualize what you mean. Thanks!
He means scab plates. Cut squares of steal a couple inches per side, spin them so that the corners are facing up and down and side to side, like a diamond shape rather than a square, weld you slider legs to them, then weld them to the frame. It spreads the load out more and since none of the welds are verticle or horizontal they are less likely to "tear" off.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber

<> plate welded to the frame and then the sliders welded to them.

Chris
Old 12-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
He means scab plates. Cut squares of steal a couple inches per side, spin them so that the corners are facing up and down and side to side, like a diamond shape rather than a square, weld you slider legs to them, then weld them to the frame. It spreads the load out more and since none of the welds are verticle or horizontal they are less likely to "tear" off.

Swami, you da man... I get it now, and it makes perfect sense...I think I need more coffee this morning....
Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ravencr
Did you weld them straight to the frame? If so, in your future ones you build it's recommended that you weld them to a diamond shaped plate on the frame, because the frame could possibly tear if you don't.

Chris
Yes, I know I should have. But we built them in a very strange way. Since we spread the project over a long period of time, we pretty much built them from the frame out. So the first thing we did was weld the supports onto the frame. Afterwords I realized we sould've done that, but it was to late by then.

My guess would be that it would have to take some extremely tough pounding on those to make them break the frame. But if it does break, oh well, just means time for more upgrades.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:27 PM

Cool man, good job
Old 12-08-2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dekri
Yes, I know I should have. But we built them in a very strange way. Since we spread the project over a long period of time, we pretty much built them from the frame out. So the first thing we did was weld the supports onto the frame. Afterwords I realized we sould've done that, but it was to late by then.

My guess would be that it would have to take some extremely tough pounding on those to make them break the frame. But if it does break, oh well, just means time for more upgrades.
You'll probably be fine since they're so close to the bottom of the frame.

Chris
Old 12-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

Excellent job! I remember seeing them when they just had the inner bar. They look a lot like 4Crawler Sliderz...nice.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

dang kyle those are super nice. great work.