The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Building Homemade LongTravel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building Homemade LongTravel?

Ive heard from alot of the older guys i know, that when they were my age they used 2 make their own suspension kits for their trucks. is there any guidelines or instructions for you to follow when making a long travel suspension for the front of a 94 pickup 2wd?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:45 PM

first of all why would you want to long arm a 2wd?? the time and effort put into that just is not worth it for a 2wd.. but no there is basically no rules or guide lines juxt geometry in check
Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM

For looks i guess. I like how they look and i was thinking about doing it to my truck but im not sure if i want to attempt it. and because the kit thats on there right now is not very safe.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 PM

racer, most pre runners are 2wd.

Blazeland makes a "cheaper" lt kit.

or check out total chaos.

or use the search button. on here or google it.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 PM

well if you just like the looks are you prepaired to pay the price of coil overs? and 208 yes while most prerunners are are 2wd they have a leaf spring suspension in the rear so he would need to redesign his whole rear end lay out not to mention get longer brake lines to reach ( not to discourage you ) just take your time and all look at several jeeps that have them to wrap your head around what you will need as building one may not be exactly cheap if you dont properly plan...... your best bet to get a long travel front end is to get longer controll arms i guess

Last edited by racerflea; 01-28-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: my bad its for your front
Old 01-28-2010, 02:45 PM

as far as the rear goes. just buy some chevy 63 leaves. run bilstien 5100 shocks front and rear. thats all i plan to do
Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by racerflea
well if you just like the looks are you prepaired to pay the price of coil overs? and 208 yes while most prerunners are are 2wd they have a leaf spring suspension in the rear so he would need to redesign his whole rear end lay out not to mention get longer brake lines to reach ( not to discourage you ) just take your time and all look at several jeeps that have them to wrap your head around what you will need as building one may not be exactly cheap if you dont properly plan...... your best bet to get a long travel front end is to get longer controll arms i guess
Uhhhhh
What you said would be done on ANY vehicle that gets lifted.
@OP: Better have good welding skills, and be very math inclined, and have access to some good tools.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM

and dont do a spindle lift. unless you want a parking lot princess truck.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:54 AM

i think that would be bad ass...ive been kickin around the idea of building a pre-runner...go for it man...you dont learn unless you try!!! build, break build, and learn...bein on here helps too!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RiseAgainst7580
Ive heard from alot of the older guys i know, that when they were my age they used 2 make their own suspension kits for their trucks. is there any guidelines or instructions for you to follow when making a long travel suspension for the front of a 94 pickup 2wd?
For a lower cost option, you can put ball joint spacers on a 2WD:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

Gives some lift and some extra travel for not a lot of cost or effort. In back, you can do longer spring shackles or an add-a-leaf or for more lift, put the springs on top of the axle (weld on new spring perches), gives 4"+ of lift.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by racerflea
first of all why would you want to long arm a 2wd?? the time and effort put into that just is not worth it for a 2wd.. but no there is basically no rules or guide lines juxt geometry in check
No offense but this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Not trying to be a dink but why do you go off about Jeeps when he's talking about IFS long travel? I think you are thinking of trailing arms on a solid axle.

You can "long arm" a 2wd and get anywhere from 10-15" of travel, read up at the desert racing sites and research. Careful about asking stupid questions there like "how can I make a 20" travel long travel kit?". Use the search button and read lots before thinking about posting. Most guys suggest reading some books, I can't remember the name off the top of my head but search on those sites and you can find out easily.

Also check out Batch Racing, I think they are a newer company that offer kits quite a bit cheaper but you gotta source a few things yourself like uniballs and heims.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Dezertrangers.com
might be better off getting a bolt on kit from TC. alot of work goes into a front kit like that. 63's or a deaver pack for the rear.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SnowRunner98
Dezertrangers.com
might be better off getting a bolt on kit from TC. alot of work goes into a front kit like that. 63's or a deaver pack for the rear.
dezert rangers is definitely the place to go. most LT trucks are 2wd. the rear isn't really a problem...there's several options to choose from. the front is a different story...some people build their own, but if you don't know what you're doing you'll get yourself (and maybe someone else) killed that way. blazeland's kit isn't for 2wd last time i checked. I'd recommend checking race-dezert.com and dezert rangers for a used kit. you'll be happier getting a tried and tested manufactured kit than spending a ton of money and time fabbing one that'll probably break on you anyways. just my opinion