Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t case shifter modifation for 3" body lift 3rd gen runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
t case shifter modifation for 3" body lift 3rd gen runner

wondering if anyone has any info on modifying auto trans t case shifter with push button 2/4 on 2000 4runner with
3" body lift
Old 01-29-2009, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

Sonoran Steel recommended I send mine to Marlin Crawler to get modified. Works like a champ.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:20 PM

i would like to modify it myself. i have all the equipment to do what needs to be done but would just like some idea of what ppl have in the past.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:35 PM

bump... because its time i finally find out. 4crawler doesnt include the shifter extension in the "package price" on the website. So does this mean its not necessary. Ive look quite a bit and cant quite find someone on here with a 00-02 runner. i only found 4rx's 99.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure on your model if it's needed or not. I believe the reason that the extension bracket isn't included is because some trucks are standard and need a different extension - so the basic kits are there then you select/buy the extension for your specific needs.

His chart indicates that an extension is not needed, but linkage adjustment may be needed.

Hope this helps!
Larry
Old 02-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by andrix
bump... because its time i finally find out. 4crawler doesnt include the shifter extension in the "package price" on the website. So does this mean its not necessary. Ive look quite a bit and cant quite find someone on here with a 00-02 runner. i only found 4rx's 99.
The shifter extensions are mainly intended for manual transmission and t-case shifters that have simple screwed on knobs:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...lTransmissions

For the push button automatics, I don't think the handle screws on and it also has wires inside so a simple extension on top is not practical.

If that shifter is attached to the t-case, then some sort of short throw setup may work:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...wShifter.shtml

Or you may need to have the shifter cut and a hollow extension welded in place with wiring extensions inside if needed. Post some photos of how the shifter is attached to the t-case and how the handle and wiring/switches are installed.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:48 PM

T-Case Lever with knob on

Knob off

T-Case lever with cover off with lever in regular 2wd pos. ("H" on the stick)

T-Case lever forward (to "L" on the stick)

Closer view of stick in "H"

Couldnt get any pictures of the stick attatchment to the t-case today. anyone else have one?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Lever does not look too hard to extend. Would just need a diameter of the round part and a rough size of the flat area and where the screw in the knob goes; i.e. does it thread into the shaft or just onto the flat area? That is assuming there is enough wire on the knob to allow it to be raised up a few inches.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 AM

not real sure what you mean "does it thread into the shaft or onto the flat area?" but the first pic i posted shows the only way that the knob is attached to the shaft. you take the screw out and the knob just pulls up. the wires would most likely be long enough but i just wanna know if it is 100% necessary to lengthen the lever at all...? Im fine with the stick being low just as long as its completely functional. sure wish there was someone on this forum that has done this lift to this car before..........
Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

By "does it thread into the shaft or onto the flat area?", I mean where does the little screw in the handle contact the shift lever? Does it go onto the flat part or does it thread into the hole down lower?

I don't track who has automatics or manual transmissions on the 3rd gens, but would have to wager that many 3" automatic kits have been installed. If that shifter is attached to the t-case directly, then yes, it will sink into the floor the height of the lift. The reason I have no extension for that sort of shifter is that nobody has had enough of an issue with it to supply the information needed to design one.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM

oh i see, ya it goes into that hole that looks kinda blueish around it underneath the flat part. not just direct contact to the metal.

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
The reason I have no extension for that sort of shifter is that nobody has had enough of an issue with it to supply the information needed to design one.
and there have been plenty of people that have the 3" so im just gonna try it and hope for the best. once i get it installed i will update this thread with my findings. roger: get ready for my order!

and once again thanks for the info.

Last edited by andrix; 03-09-2009 at 11:37 AM.