Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB bull bar safety

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB bull bar safety

I bought an ARB bullbar for my 08 tacoma and was shocked at how massive it was, my question is how will this affect the crumple zones in a high speed collision and does this safety consideration outweigh the benefits of this bumper. any input is greatly appreciated. the original bumper doesn't do much of anything as far as resisting impact but maybe that is the way it was designed and should be???
Old 05-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

The Tacoma has crumple zones along the engine bay walls as well as the hood.
The bumper itself will not affect those crumple zones at all, it won't affect the drop of the engine either.

The only safety measure that it will change/affect will be the air bags.

I've rear-ended two people with an ARB on my old 2nd gen and it got a tiny little scratch while it totaled the other guys vehicles both times.
You'll be much better protected with the ARB.

Fink
Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 AM

thanks, I really appreciate your input. I see that you have an 07 tacoma without an ARB bumper though, any reason for that. Also in your experience in fire and rescue, have you seen any accidents where having a bulkier bumper increased injuries.. thank again
Old 05-23-2009, 12:31 PM

I don't know much about the '08 Tacoma model ARB, but I have one on my 99 4runner that was originally designed for 3rd gen Tacomas. With the 4runner, there were crush cans that activated the airbags during a collision with the front bumper. When I mounted the ARB, it retained and used the crush cans so the airbag should still work. I can say, however, that the sensitivity of the air bag deployment has probably been greatly reduced, but still effective in a crash. I once had an undercover cop back a new unmarked Ford 500 into the ARB pretty hard and it split his new factory bumper all the way across and pushed the bumper in a good bit. I walked up to the ARB, checked it out, and wiped the one smudge of green paint off of the protective rubber bumpers with my thumb. Absolutely no damage what so ever to the ARB. If you want to know for sure about the airbag check the application sheet on ARB's website, arbusa.com. It'll tell ya if it keeps the airbag active.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by metalanton
thanks, I really appreciate your input. I see that you have an 07 tacoma without an ARB bumper though, any reason for that. Also in your experience in fire and rescue, have you seen any accidents where having a bulkier bumper increased injuries.. thank again
My reason for not having an ARB is as simple as not having enough money.

I have never responded to an accident with somebody that had a bull bar (ARB or the like), however, I have been to several that involved brush guards.
They are a hazard to anybody within 50yds of the wreck...they often can become projectiles or just further the damage to the front-end.

Fink
Old 05-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Haha, No offense fink but I was thinking the same thing about $$..

I think an arb would be great and in certain accidents can reduce damage to your vehicle, Like fink pointed out..

Old 05-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scuba

I think an arb would be great and in certain accidents can reduce damage to your vehicle, Like fink pointed out..

No joke, dude.
If I'm not going to off-road it, which I never have then why pay the $$ for an ARB??

Fink
Old 05-24-2009, 05:05 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
True that Sir !!

Old 05-24-2009, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scuba

scuba, you need one more than ANYONE here!!! lol
...except maybe for clint... (is that his name?)
Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
These are also excellent for deer.
Their main creation in Australia was for protection of kangeroos.
http://arbusa.com/Products/Bull-Bars...uction/15.aspx
AIR BAG COMPATIBILITY

With an air bag equipped 4x4 it is essential that the vehicle's crush rate and air bag triggering is not altered when a bull bar is installed. To ensure compatibility, ARB assesses each vehicle's frontal crush characteristics and replicates the crush rate into the design of each air bag compatible bull bar and its mounting system. This method enables engineers to achieve maximum possible vehicle and passenger protection without affecting the crash pulse. ARB has invested heavily in vehicle crash barrier tests to validate the performance and compliance of its air bag compatible bull bars, and as a consequence, our bars offer a far greater level of protection than most standard brush guards and grille guards.
ARB bumper verses deer
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...r-vs-deer.html

I have seen many other pics too online where only blood/hair was left on the ARB bumper with not a scratch or dent.