Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Unorthodox Lightened Crank Shaft Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unorthodox Lightened Crank Shaft Pulley

I noticed the limited market on these, so I spoke with Shawn Baumgartner over at unorthodox. He is willing to manufacture these for us if he can get 30+ orders. Price will be $180 to 200.

There is significant weight reduction in comparison with the stock pulley. Average gains are anywhere from 5 to 12 hp and 4 to 8 lbs/ft torque on NA, and 8 to 16 hp and 8 to 18 lbs/ft torque on forced induction vehicles.

Stock diameter, just lighter. Finish is polished aluminum. IMHO, these are the best looking pulleys and cam gears on the market.

You folks can check out pictures of their pulleys at:

www.unorthodoxracing.com
Old 09-18-2006, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you wanted a lightened crankshaft pulley, I'd go for URD's supergrip one. But, there's no way you'd see those kind of horsepower increase numbers on a N/A 3.4 without some MAJOR work in it, and even a F/I one would have to be pretty hard core engine, because the only time you see gains is when the engine's speed is accelerating. The 5VZ just doesn't rev very fast, especially when accelerating a Tacoma or 4Runner. I doubt you'd see 1Hp of extra thrust when accelerating.

Refer to my posts in this thread to see the numbers:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=72005&page=3

URD's Crank Pulley:
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1230100021
Old 09-18-2006, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

I have to say I doubt there is going to be alot of interest seeing as the URD pulley is already proven and ready for purchase.
I suppose it would depend on pricepoint, but I'd assume the pricing on the two will be quite similar.

Only thing with the URD one is that I'm not as hot on the red anodize but that's just being nit picky.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-18-2006 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:59 AM

When I mentioned the market was "limited," this was exactly what I meant. $289 is the price for the crankshaft pulley on URD's site. I realize that the price must reflect the time and effort put into researching and manufacturing the item. That price is there for a damn good reason, and I am NOT criticizing/judging it. I'd just like to see the market expanded a bit. There is a lot of room for our aftermarket to grow. Keep an open mind guys.

Unorthodox will consider manufacturing a full pulley replacement kit: crankshaft, waterpump, power steering, and alternator. As well as supercharger pulleys 2.2" and below. They just need proof of interest.

There are those that would GLADLY pay $180 to up hp numbers by 5 to 10. Heck, I paid more than that for my exhaust system that netted a loss in torque with a 5 to 10 hp gain.

Does URD have proven dyno numbers? Just curious because I haven't seen any numbers posted on this forum yet. It would eliminate speculation based on calculations. Either it works or it doesn't.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by QSVeilside
There are those that would GLADLY pay $180 to up hp numbers by 5 to 10. Heck, I paid more than that for my exhaust system that netted a loss in torque with a 5 to 10 hp gain.
I wasn't trying to be a naysayer at all. If unorthodox can beat URD by $100 or so I think you might have alot more takers. $300 for a lighter pulley is alot of money for a mod but adding 5-10 HP easily at a low price would expand the market alot. I might be interested if the price stayed around $180.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:12 AM

I used to own a 1997 toyota supra twin turbo that put down 420 rwhp on 21 lbs of boost at BPU stage 3, (basic power upgrades - exhaust, intake, downpipe, boost controller), best et was 11.9 @ 125. It was considered strong for the BPU stage- most of which put down 370 to 400 tops. The primary additions were: an intercooler, (doesn't do much on a dyno unless you're blasting nitrous into it), an SAFC fuel controller, cam gears, and Unorthodox racing's full pulley set at stock diameters. I'm fairly confident that the pulleys put down something. How much is the question.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I might be interested if the price stayed around $180.
That is the goal. They say they'll do it only if there's 30+ orders. A dyno number at this point to figure out whether or not it works would be helpful.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

To gain 5hp, your engine would have to be accelerating at approximately 5500rpm/s (that's revolutions per minute per second). I don't think any 5VZ revs that fast while accelerating, even in 1st gear with a manual (my Supercharged/URD'd 3.4 with an auto definitely doesn't). Even worse, to gain 10 hp, the engine would have to be accelerating at twice that (11,000rpm/s). Think about it, how long does it take your engine to get between 2750rpm and 5500rpm, even in 1st gear? I guarantee its longer than half a second.

A dyno test would be even less impressive because the dyno tests in higher gears, and the engine runs up the rpms much more slowly. This pulley will only "add" horsepower when your engine's rpms are increasing at an incredible pace, so it might possibly help a race truck with a race-prepped 5vz, but lowly mortals will see little to no difference (and no, seat of the pants doesn't count, it's just placebo effect then).

The only way you would see any kind of measurable gains in a regular 5vz would be to save about twice to three times the weight that the aluminum crankshaft pulley saves (URD's saves 7.375 lbs). If replacing all of the pulleys would save about 25lbs (it would probably have to be even more, most of the pulleys are much smaller than the crank), you might be on to something. Otherwise, probably not worth it.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

By the way, where did you get these numbers from? Why are the numbers different for the F/I engine compared to the N/A one, even though they are essentially the same engine in terms of rotating mass?

Average gains are anywhere from 5 to 12 hp and 4 to 8 lbs/ft torque on NA, and 8 to 16 hp and 8 to 18 lbs/ft torque on forced induction vehicles.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:40 PM

"Otherwise, probably not worth it."

Mastacox -

I totally agree with your comments. Perhaps that's why there are no dynos available. Too bad.

The numbers can be found anywhere that sells unorthodox pulleys, so I assume it came directly from them.

Just to comment on your question, which I really have no answer to. At the same rpm, FI motors will produce more power. The major factors affecting power are Air and Fuel. More air + more fuel = more power = acceleration, or how fast the rpms climb. If I'm understanding this correctly, to lighten the amount of work the engine has to do to run accessories, (ie, waterpump, powersteering), by reducing pulley mass, does not necessarily translate into more horsepower. If any is gained, it is probably minimal as you mentioned, and should not vary by such a great extent based on FI.

I'm assuming the same concept applies to other rotational parts, (drive shaft, lightened flywheel, lighter rims).
Old 09-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Yup, I was going to suggest you would see better gains with a lightened flywheel. As I pointed out, saving 25 lbs or rotating mass would make some difference, but 7 just isn't enough.

Keep on rockin.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Hey dude, I was just reading some other posts and came up with a semi-obvious solution: electric fan!

From what I read, the standard fan/clutch assembly weighs about 20lbs. paired with the fact that it causes drag on the engine too (especially at high engine speeds or on the hwy where it ain't needed), I think this is your best bet for some simple rotating mass reduction. My guess is this mod would cost about what a crank pulley would too (or less)... It's possible that paired with a lightened flywheel (do you have standard or auto?) you could save 30-40lbs of rotating mass, for a possible increase in accelerating horsepower of perhaps 10-15hp, perhaps as high as 20 at very fast engine accelerations.

Just a suggestion, I have an auto but i'll be doing the e-fan mod sometime in the future. Use the DC Controls controller if you do it, it rocks!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
Hey dude, I was just reading some other posts and came up with a semi-obvious solution: electric fan!

From what I read, the standard fan/clutch assembly weighs about 20lbs. paired with the fact that it causes drag on the engine too (especially at high engine speeds or on the hwy where it ain't needed), I think this is your best bet for some simple rotating mass reduction. My guess is this mod would cost about what a crank pulley would too (or less)... It's possible that paired with a lightened flywheel (do you have standard or auto?) you could save 30-40lbs of rotating mass, for a possible increase in accelerating horsepower of perhaps 10-15hp, perhaps as high as 20 at very fast engine accelerations.

Just a suggestion, I have an auto but i'll be doing the e-fan mod sometime in the future. Use the DC Controls controller if you do it, it rocks!
Keep in mind the stock fan has a clutch on it so it is not exactly the same as lightening pulleys which always rotate in direct relation to the engine RPM. Most people have reported some SOTP gains by switching to an electric fan.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. 20lbs is a lot of rotational weight. The only thing is, I don't know if it can handle the heat from the charger and smaller pulley. I've heard mixed things with other cars, (can't pull enough air). I'll do a search for more info.

Unfotunately, I have an auto too.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the suggestion. 20lbs is a lot of rotational weight. The only thing is, I don't know if it can handle the heat from the charger and smaller pulley. I've heard mixed things with other cars, (can't pull enough air). I'll do a search for more info.

Unfotunately, I have an auto too.
My plan is an E-Fan out of a Lincoln Mark VIII (I'm supercharger with URD Kit and 2.2" pulley). It will pull enough air, but it pulls somewhere around 40 amps max, so you would need to upgrade to the 60 amp controller, a little more expensive. I have discussed the e-fan conversation with several people on here... actually Mt_Goat will be using a taurus fan with a stock 3.0l radiator and his engine will be supercharged, URD'd, Water Injection, 2.1" pulley, auto tranny... we'll see how he fares.

Last edited by mastacox; 09-19-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I'd look into aluminum drive shafts before I did a lighter crank pulley.