Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Striping and sand blasting frame. Is it worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Striping and sand blasting frame. Is it worth it???

So I just picked up a 97 Tacoma reg cab 4x4 at a decent price. Body seems to be good but the frame seems to have a fair bit of rust. The frame is still solid but I'm wanting to do something with it before it gets terminal. The body is in good shape so I'm thinking about doing a frame off restoration on the truck.

So, what I'm wondering is has anyone actually stripped a truck down and sandblasted the frame. What did you use to treat the frame after it was striped and blasted, How long was it before the rust came back, and most importantly, was it WORTH it?

I'm looking for actual historical information here from people who have done it or have had it done.

Would you do it again?
What would you do different?
How do you blast the inside tubular part of the frame?

I know Toyota has extended the warranty on these frames and will buy back the truck if it rots through before 2012 but this one is still fairly solid and I don't think it will qualify.

Open to ideas and opinions

Thanks

Last edited by Innocent Fool; 06-05-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about some pictures of what your referring to. Many people have different ideas on what is extensive and what's not.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM

I would but I can't seem to find how to post a pic. I'm not real computer smart When I try the "Insert Image" it asks for a url but I've got my pics on my PC
Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
upload them to photobucket.com or other free hosting sites then click the img tag youll see it when you upload and then just paste in thread and we will see pics!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad you asked this, as I was about to ask along the same topic. I have searched around and seen that people have hit their frames with a wire wheel and POR 15 or Rust Bullet or Zero Rust...but I couldn't find anyone that had taken the frame completely off and had it media blasted and powder coated or anything similar.

So??? Has anyone done a complete frame removal and corrosion treatment? I plan on driving this truck to my grave, skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, 30 yr single malt scotch (The Macallan) in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO That was a hell of a ride!"

Hope I didn't jack the thread it seemed relevant to the original posters question.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Well I've decided to take it to Toyota to get inspected before I get to carried away. Gonna see what they say have to say about it before I dump too much work in it....
Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How far back does that frame thing go for Tacomas? Maybe he can have it replaced?

If not, sand blast it, then put POR15 on it (follow the instructions to the letter) then call it a day.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:06 PM

I did the same thing. Took it to my local Toyota dealer for a free frame inspection...they said no rust perforation found. That was kind of the "Okay" I was waiting for before I start doing all the nickel and dime things to the truck and eventually work my way up to the bigger ticket items. Still debating on what direction I want to go with the frame though. Just a wire wheel and POR 15 or Rust Bullet or etc....or ????
Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 PM

If you do decide to have it media blasted, take it to an experienced blaster who knows how to read the severity of the damaged metal. From there, he/she will be able to tell you what media best fits. Different media to use: baking soda, walnut shells, glass beads, plastic, and sand. Of course there are others, but right now I can't think of them. The wrong media could actually do more damage then the actual rust. Baking soda works great because it leaves behind a residue that protects the metal and is easy to clean and remove (for when you are ready to paint, powder coat or use bed liner stuff, whatever you plan on doing...), the only draw back is that on areas where there is severe rust, it won't penetrate as good as say, walnut shells. Shop around and ask questions about the media the blasters will be using.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 AM

So I contacted Toyota and it looks like I'm not elegeble for the buyback because I purchased the vehicle after the announcement. So if I take it in and it fails I'll basically lose my rig. So I'm back to sand blasting. Found a galvanizing shop that says they'll dip it once it's clean and free of rust. I'm thinking that should do it.

Just out of curiosity, Will a 4runner frame fit under a reg cab Tacoma?

Last edited by Innocent Fool; 06-10-2009 at 09:02 AM.