Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Older Pickups vs 2005+ Tacomas

Old 09-28-2015, 06:37 AM
irv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Older Pickups vs 2005+ Tacomas

The title sounds a bit generic but my question here is more specific.

Last year I bought a 1986 4x4 xtra cab on ebay for $6000. In superb shape with 130k miles - garage kept by one owner. I was very torn between getting this old truck or buying a 2005ish single cab 4x4 Tacoma with a new frame. Probably would have paid somewhere in the area of $10,000 for the Tacoma and would have had similar miles to my 86.

I had a number of reasons for going with the 86 but I occasionally consider selling it and getting a newer Tacoma. I know relatively little about the newer Tacomas though and have never owned one.

Why do you stick with an old pickup that is close to, or over, 30 years old rather than one of the newer 2005+ generation Tacomas?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have both an 86 Xtra Cab and a 2000 Tacoma. I guess it depends on what your needs are.
I love my 86 because Im an old school guy and it's fun to drive. But anytime I need to pull something like a boat, trailer, or camper, I prefer the Tacoma.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I bought my 81 Trekker when I had I 05 Tacoma because the 81 would fit better through certain spots on my favorite trails where the wider tacoma wouldn't.
That being said dealing with 30+ year old truck problems gets old vs a 10 year old truck.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:58 PM
irv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that a lot of people question the future of modern trucks and how they will hold up 30 years from now because of all the electronics and computer systems onboard. I've seen some mention that re building a 2015 truck 30 years from now could be very difficult and not worth it and that these trucks are "disposable" in a sense.

How different is a 2015 Tacoma versus a 2005? Is a 2005 considerably more simple in terms of computers and electronics?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
My '87 4x4 was my daily driver for years until I bought my 2005 Tacoma 2 years ago. They are both base model 4x4 pickups with 4 cylinders and manual transmissions. They both have positives and negatives in comparison. I personally think my '87 is easier and more fun to drive. Mainly I like the feel of the controls such as the steering, clutch, gear shift, no electronic throttle, and manual transfer case.

The Tacoma has more room in the cab, much better acceleration, and has slightly better fuel economy. There is less maintenance with the Tacoma since it has coil packs, spark plugs last 120k miles, and it has long life coolant, but parts are more expensive. Spark plugs at the dealer are around $20 each (they can be found cheaper) and coolant is $20 per gallon (needs about 3 gallons).

I would say that the Tacoma is going to be more reliable just because it is newer. I personally think that if both trucks were new, the Tacoma would have a better chance of going longer without problems, but when it starts to have problems it is more likely to not be worth repairing because of expensive parts, electronics, and plastic parts.

Overall, driving a newer Tacoma or an older truck is a personal decision depending on your needs, mechanical abilities, and personal preference. I can only say one is better for one person, while the other is better for another.

It really does seem to me that cars, and most things these days, are built to be more disposable than they used to. There are a lot of newer engines that supposedly cannot be rebuilt. I heard somewhere that the 1GR 4.0 V6 is one of them.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think it is just pretty much getting used to what you drive.

I liked the mid eighties trucks still do

But having the 3.4 just does not compare to the 22r series engines.

Getting the bugs worked out I hated the OBII system if you have the newer truck a simple code reader I think is a must A scanner for real time data is even better.

Now a few years later with all the bugs worked out I got used to and like The OBII system.

Although I could like a sexy female voice vehicle computer interface .

I said before as long as the Governmint does not get involved and pass laws pretty much sealing all vehicle systems forcing one to only have it serviced by Federal dealer certified Techs.

Think numbered seals crimped on.

People will adapt although I am still waiting on the flying cars
Old 09-29-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
It's a decision only you can make. I have a 93 and was looking at my options for another truck this year. Personally I can't bring myself to replace it with a 2005+ because I don't think I'd be as happy. My SIL has a 2005 and my biggest complaints are these: overall size increase making the Toyota pickup no longer a mini truck, view out the windshield seems smaller/worse with huge dash in the way, plastic and electronics everywhere, dislike of the instrument cluster layout looking to futuristic, and I won't be able to work on it as easily. BUT they are still great trucks and they didn't really start to catch my eye until the 2013/14 or whatever year they revamped the Tacoma. The power increase is awesome, but then again why does a 20-30yr old truck feel the need to keep up with a new truck?

I ended up buying a 1975 Hilux because I like the aesthetics, it's simple to work on, I can stick whatever engine in it I want.

Now the question still lies in what to do with my 93 - I'm thinking I will just keep it for a few more years since there is technically nothing wrong with it, let it hold its value, then perhaps consider upgrading it to a quad cab Tacoma with full-length bed now that those are an option unlike in years previous. Most likely wont be the 2016+ Tacoma as I think they're kinda fugly, but then again I thought the same about the 2005 when it came out....
Old 09-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I like the 79-95 trucks as I have had them just as dependable as a newer truck and know my way around them, have the tools needed to work on them, don't have to refer to a manual, can troubleshoot one quick when it is in front of me, and having several parts keep it easy for me. I have had 26 of these trucks and parted 3 of them, most were just a fix and sell.

Working on an 01 Tacoma the other day, I had to break out the scanner to find out why the check engine light which was a sensor that took a while to find and 15 trips to the tool box to get all the correct tools to change a fuel filter. My 01 runner, I flooded out the charcoal canister by overfilling the tank and had to swap it out was a bigger job then I had expected it to be. More costly as well. Now that I know about that it isn't to bad to do, I just don't care to learn new things anymore. I spend a lot more time looking in manuals and searching the internet on best ways to fix things on those years. Just have to learn their little tricks.

I think the 05 uses a different scanner then the 96-02. Getting the maintenance caught up on any used truck takes time and money to get them where they need to be. Knowing where to get the parts and how to work on them makes it so much easier.

If I had a 22 truck to break down on the road, that would be irritating but I could figure it out and could get it home. The 3.4 would be a little more stressful, what ever the 05 motor would scare me and I would just call a wrecker or haul it home and take to a shop. Not having to rely on some other mechanic is a benefit that pays off in several ways.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-29-2015 at 01:12 PM.