Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interior/exterior DETAILING TIPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior/exterior DETAILING TIPS

This saturday is my senior prom, and although we're taking a limo, i still have to pick my date up and drive to the place we're getting picked up at.

Anyway, I want my runner to look cleaner than EVER for it, so what I'd like to do is compile a HUGE list of everyone's tips, favorite brands, etc. and ANYTHING related to the detailing (inside and out) from carpet cleaners to waxes to sidewall scrubbers to soaps to chamois cloths, even your favorite air freshener.

MY short list:

Just drive to the car wash and give it a good scrub down w/ high pressure and brush

Drive fast home to dry it, then I go to work:

Wax w/ turltle wax
window cleaner w/ 3M foaming glass cleaner
RainX winshield
apply stuff like tire shine and black dressing to trim, tires, etc.
I have to take my turn signal lenses off and clean them, mud gets in there if I submerge it
uhh, that's about it, please help me out and let's create a huge database so everything about detailing can be found in one place!!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Tha's a good start. I have one or two things to add. One, I like to use the color match turtle wax when I wan't my runner to look real good. It doesn't leave white trails all over for days and gets rid on any scuffs in the paint. Although it is a temporary fix and the scuffs come back later, it makes the paint look brand new for about a month.

Another tip I could offer is for detailing the engine compartment. I hose off the dust, let it dry, and then go crazy with Armorall whipes. You can clean everything from valve covers to fender wells and wire quickly and easily with just a few of them and it is really fast and easy! Naturally they also make all the plastic and rubber stuff shine like new.

If you have any aluminum to polish, use Mothers, it's really effective.

Use the Armorall whipes on everything vinal or plastic on the interior including the back cargo side panles. Really does the trick.

I have yet to find an air freshoner that doesn't smell fake so I have since stoped using them. If anybody else has found one that doesn't, let me know!

Paint your fenderweills, rear axle, frame, and anything else under the body with fresh black paint. This really makes the car look new. Just do this at he last minute cus the fanderwells don't stay clean long. Just try not to breath too much of that stuff while your crawling around down there.

That's about it for me. Dang, I know more than I tought about this stuff. I am interested in any other tips you guys might have.

Last edited by bike4miles; 05-05-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

just remember to wear gloves or something .. you want clean finger nails for your prom .. for some reason chicks check that night for clean hands
Old 05-05-2004, 06:50 PM

might wanna try fabreeze. Spray it on the mats and on your seats(if they are cloth). It's nice and mellow and it won't seem overly blatant that you are trying to hide some stankness. If you have the time, clay your rig if you haven't already done so. I finally did for the first time on my '98 and the paint has never looked as clean and shiny. I usually spray 303 protectant all over the vinyl and leather too when I clean my rig. Maybe fold down the back seats and throw a couple of pillows and blankets in the back there. kidding...or not.-good luck
Old 05-05-2004, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by anthraciterunner
might wanna try fabreeze. Spray it on the mats and on your seats(if they are cloth). It's nice and mellow and it won't seem overly blatant that you are trying to hide some stankness. If you have the time, clay your rig if you haven't already done so. I finally did for the first time on my '98 and the paint has never looked as clean and shiny. I usually spray 303 protectant all over the vinyl and leather too when I clean my rig. Maybe fold down the back seats and throw a couple of pillows and blankets in the back there. kidding...or not.-good luck
Yeah my friends and I are all camping out and everyone else brings tents, but we always just fold the seats and lay out a sleeping bag it's good times.

when the runner's rockin', don't come a knockin'.

Yeah I use febreeze pretty regularly, I smoke in my car so I'm always cleaning off my interior windows and febreezing.

My favorite air freshener are from the Yankee Candle Company. The card of freshener looks like a candle, the only problem is they are BIG and look girly, but if you can hide it, they smell the best. just go into a Hallmark (or a yankee candle store if there's one around you, we have one) and smell the candles, then get your fav corresponding freshener.

I wish I had the time and tools to clay it, never have. Never even heard of it before I came to this board. I have a Turtle Wax "heavy duty cleaner" rubbing compound that looks like clay, which I have used before, but it doesn't say anything about clay anywhere. is it the same?

I'm using some Zymol wax now, it covers some swirls, but not great, and it only lasts a week tops. I need a new wax, so everyone throw them at me.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:05 PM

I always thought it would be labor intensive but it's not. That's probably why I held off for so long. I went to pep boys and got the Mothers Gold one. I think that was the brand. The clay bar seemed kinda small at first but you really don't need it anybigger. After you wash your rig, you spray on this lubricant and you just rub the clay over it. It glides easily over the paint and you can feel and hear it. then after you go over the area, just wipe the excess lubricant off.-you're done.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:00 PM

I got a friend who considers himself a self-taught detailing guru. and he swears by using carmex (lip balm) the kind you squeeze outa the little tube, on rubber molding & trim. Not the kind in the little jar. It brings out color and he says it adds protection since its spose to work for skin also.. I tried it once. seemed to work but also liked to collect dust.
anyone else know or use this?
Old 05-06-2004, 03:07 AM

Throw that Turtle Wax away, far away. It's really not worth a darn.

In no particular order:

---
Painted areas
If you're going to go to Walmart or such, consider Meguires Deep Crystal series. All three of them. For "over the counter" stuff, this is one of the best out there. You'll be well pleased with how rich and deep step two makes your paint look.

If you're willing to go "prescription", consider Klasse or Zaino's or the like. I personally use Klasse. It's easier and faster to use then any carnuba stuff, looks better and lasts longer. Doesn't stain plastic trim. The only downside is it costs more and you have to order it.

---
Plastic trim
"Over the counter" I'd use any of them. None seem particularly better then the other. My "prescription" is Black Again. I love that stuff. Never seen anything that came close to what it does. It's just incredible.

---
wheels
Eagle brand A2Z. Great stuff. Also works wonders at getting old wax and polish out of plastic trim. This is "over the counter" stuff you get at places like PepBoys.

---
Clay
Use it. It's really remarkable what it does for painted surfaces. I don't care who's you use.

---
Cleaning plastic panels
Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Wow. This thing is remarkable at getting scuffs off the kick panels, arm gunk off the door panels, etc.

---
Glass
Just clean it, don't Rain-x it.

---
Upholstery
Haven't found a particular product I especially like yet. Vacuum of course.

---
Stench
Febreeze. If you want to add a special stink of your own, consider one of the new car smell things. For cheap, a fabric softener sheet sitting under the seat does nice things for giving a general clean smell.

---
Tires
If "over the counter" use whatever you like. But if you get to a car show, you'll find some really nice looking ones, including some with different colored sparklies and such in them. You'll also find these on e-bay.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:21 AM

I like my Rain-X though. Is there anything actually bad about it, because it really is an amazing product. In the Ohio Valley it will be sleeting and 30 one day, 90 and sunny the next, and 50 and storming the next, so it really helps because in the spring it does storm a lot.

I think I'm going to try Ajax for my sidewalls thanks to Corey's detailing section on his site.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:39 AM
lee
Contributing Member

for tires, the best way to go is the SPRAY CAN (aerosol --sp?) of Eagle One Wet. It takes a little time, and you have to pull your truck forward after one go around (to get the part of the tire thats touching the ground), but it works so well and lasts for days. i love it.

interior, i use a leather foam on my seats which makes them bright and shiny. i use armor-all pump spray bottle and spray directly on a rag. i use this on my dash, black trim, door panels and steering wheel center (horn area). be careful using it on the outer part of the steering wheel, it can be slippery.

windows & chrome, i use a special window & chrome cleaner (its basically like a more syrupy, clear glass plus). I'll get the brand name later. it really clings on and you need to wipe a bunch but it REALLY cleans the glass & chrome well. make sure you use soft rags -- i like microfiber -- and that you use many rags, each one specialized (dont use the armorall rag for cleaning your windows right after, for example -- or for drying the paint!!)

by the way that black again stuff works great too.

Last edited by lee; 05-06-2004 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:43 AM
lee
Contributing Member

the results of my work:

sorry for the big pics..
Old 05-06-2004, 06:04 AM

At a VW forum I frequent someone mentioned how they clean the engine. I tried it on the wife's Jetta a couple of weeks ago (it was filthy) and was amazed.

1. Buy whatever engine degreaser you like. Stay far away from the alternator and ignition parts. I used 409 and another household degreaser. Laugh...it works and less vapors to breathe.

2. Make sure the engine is warm and not hot. Actually, since the weather is warm enough in the desert I just went at it in the morning and didn't worry about it but everyone always talks about a warm engine being easier to clean.

3. After the degreaser has been on for about 10 mins rinse off with a garden hose. Stay away from the alternator and ignition stuff! I have a 67 Mustang and it never fails that it won't start after an engine cleaning. In that case remove the cap and rotor and let it air dry or spray WD40 in there to displace the water. Thats for cars with a distributor - obviously a 3rd gen doesn't. Maye if you soak a coil pack you may have the same problem?

4. Here's the weird one- I applied furniture polish on the entire engine. That is what was recommended so I tried it. Turns out it works awesome! Nice shine without being bling bling. Dust doesn't stick easily either. A month later and her engine still looks detailed.

Also, I use Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Gel on the tires. You apply with a sponge or a rag, lasts weeks, and it resists dust. Only down side is that it will look bling bling if you get carried away putting it on, but a good pass with the sponge makes them look great for a long time. Got that tip from Corey.

Last edited by Victor; 05-06-2004 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by kford
I like my Rain-X though.
So do I. Though I have heard that Castrol has a comparable product that works just as well and is easier to apply.

My comment was soley from a detailing to get ready for a prom perspective. It takes time to apply Rain-x well, and it tends to be visible on the glass, detracting from the looks a bit. That's the sole reason I recommended just cleaning the glass.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:11 AM

You can put the Rain-X stuff in the windshield washer bottle. That way you are applying it every time you clean the windshield. Clean your windshield at the gas station everytime you fill up to get rid of the excess and you are good to go.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:29 AM

Water and vinegar mix to clean glass. Nothing works better.

'Tuff Stuff' cleaner for carpet stains. All I have to say is wow. A coffee stain that has been in the truck since I bought it 5 years ago came right out. You spray on the foam, and even before you start to scrub a bit, you can see the white foam start to turn brown from lifting out the stain. A bit smelly though and you must let dry thoroughly.

Carb/brake cleaner for getting that pesky road grime and tar off the fenders.

Armorall for interior trim works great and lasts a long time, but I don't like how it gets all slimy and greasy.

'Simple Green' for all purpose engine cleaner. Before hosing off the engine, start it. That way no water can cause it to not start. Stary away from the fan if you don't want water in the face.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
just remember to wear gloves or something .. you want clean finger nails for your prom .. for some reason chicks check that night for clean hands
Yah man this is the most important!

Remember, "No glove, no love."

And make sure your CD tray works well when you hit eject so your glove pops out when you need it...

Ahh...prom days...

Wait..I didn't go to my prom... but if I knew then what I know now....
Old 05-06-2004, 11:55 AM

Best Stuff for tire is Meguire's Endurance Gel(purple stuff). It will last at least for month and you can control how shiny you want it. It's not the spray on kind....which only lasts for...maybe a week at the most. I've seen it from Corey's website and never again, I will use the stuff that comes in spray can. I've use just about everything off the counter for this but nothing comes close IMH
Old 05-07-2004, 05:44 PM

I know this is a bit past the moment, but for those serious about learning everything there is to know about detailing (sounds ridiculous, but quite possibly true), begin reading www.autopia.org. I started about a year ago and my runner has never been the same. have fun at prom!
Old 05-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
Best Stuff for tire is Meguire's Endurance Gel(purple stuff). It will last at least for month and you can control how shiny you want it. It's not the spray on kind....which only lasts for...maybe a week at the most.
I use it too (it even smells like grapes) and it's the one product that actually lasts like you said. Great shine and it actually cleans white lettering if you wipe off the excess with a clean paper towel or cloth.