3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Build your own 3.4 crossover pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build your own 3.4 crossover pipe UPDATE- 8/24/2013

here you go, I took lots of pics, and I will do what I can for describing what I did, I had a total of $3.00 in it.

obviously this is the factory pipe, it just has the heat shield removed

took and cleaned all the mud off

here is one of the factory welds, I cut the weld, without cutting the pipe

here is what it looks like with one pipe removed, I used a cut off wheel and a die grinder to get in the area where the two pipes came together.

you can see here that I left the factory weld on the pipe, it makes it nice when re-welding it back together, and also you know how far the pipe goes into the flange.

another one with the weld cut

here is the pie with the flanges cut off, I didn't cut the short pipe off of the big flange, it worked without needing to. I also marked right and left on the flew, so I can put it in the same way.

I'm not sure how many pics I can put in one post, so I am going to post this and start another post, so if you can, don't post yet until I am done, thanks.

Last edited by Jason4X4; 01-19-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 AM

first cut on the pipe

how the pipe fits

second cut

what is left, this is the flex

other side of pipe

test fitting

this is the clearance with the pipe in place

both pipes test fit

as you can see, the flex cuts don't line up, so I took it to the grinder to get the angles right

closer

even closer, NOTE, you can also see that I did wind up flipping the flex over, my right mark is now on the left

I wound up getting a piece of pipe to put inbetween here, I think it would have been able to be welded without it, but I wanted to make sure that the flex wasn't going to interfer with the trans bolts

engine clearance

I am going to do another post now, please hold...

Last edited by Jason4X4; 01-19-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 AM

side shot before welding

you can see here the how much room there is for the transmission and bolts

another pic before welding

one more

head clearance

tacked in place

driver side clearance

tacked in place

the two pipes are close, but they don't touch, they can be tacked together, but I didn't

all welded up, I am using a flux core wire welder, they look better after I wire brush them

final clearances

since we used the factory down pipe, I had to move the o2 sensor cause it was hitting the frame, I also had to cut an ear off of this pipe at the flange, I just don't have a pic of it

used the factory o2 sensor hole as the second o2 sensor hole for the 3.4. yes it is in front of the cat, but it has a dummy box on it.

That;s all I have, this was on an 89 4runner, which I believe is the first gen(?). anyway, it worked for me, so good luck...

Last edited by Jason4X4; 01-19-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Excellent writeup! I might just add that the later 5VZFE models have a different crossover. I'll try to post a pic of the newer style factory crossover later. What is involved with removing the heat shield on the older style crossover?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice job.

Real good savings on the 3.4 swap. Heck, with all the YT 3.4 swap tips out there, we'll soon be dropping 3.0's and making money at the same time.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, here's the pics of the newer style 5VZFE crossover design, 2001 and up Tacos, (not sure about 4runner years):

As you can see they are very different designs, as are the exhaust manifolds from 2001 and up. The newer style use double wall tubing (most evident in the last pic) and it appears to have no flex coupling. These newer style look like it would be nearly impossible to flip around like you have done with older style. Lets put it this way, it would be easier to build one from scratch. The only thing you could use would be the flanges and if you used the stock exhaust manifolds you would need those flanges badly.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-02-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wonder why the flex joint was eliminated? I was under the impression this allowed the crossover to flex or expand along with the heads.

I happen to have a older 3.4 crossover for sale... in perfect shape... if someone is looking for the flanges and such.

Name:  Crossover01.jpg
Views: 7350
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  Crossover02.jpg
Views: 7995
Size:  53.3 KB
Old 03-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

BTW I've been told the flanges are different between the older style and newer style. Yeah I think I like the older style crossover better, but I've heard that the newer style exhaust manifolds have better flow.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-02-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 AM

When I was working on cutting the flanges off of mine for the exh shop, I noticed that if you cut the flanges off and flip them so that the part that meets the exh manifold faces you, a 2" hole saw fit perfect inside of it. It wont mess up the flange, cuts the factory welds, and leaves you with the perfect starting point for welding up a new exhaust system and/or a crossover.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

There is another possibility, the stock 5VZFE crossover could be used and then routed back to the drivers side under the truck much like guys have to do with headers. I'll probabily look into doing that if my custom crossover ever has a crack develop.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jasond
When I was working on cutting the flanges off of mine for the exh shop, I noticed that if you cut the flanges off and flip them so that the part that meets the exh manifold faces you, a 2" hole saw fit perfect inside of it. It wont mess up the flange, cuts the factory welds, and leaves you with the perfect starting point for welding up a new exhaust system and/or a crossover.
Was that the older style crossover Jason?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Was that the older style crossover Jason?

It was the newer style.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jasond
It was the newer style.
Do you still have the rest of it? What does that double wall tubing look like from a cross section, I mean is there some kind of material between the walls?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Do you still have the rest of it? What does that double wall tubing look like from a cross section, I mean is there some kind of material between the walls?
I gave the rest of it to the scrap metal guys. There was nothing between the walls of the tubing where I cut it, just air.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried to re-use that double flange connector, like you did, but it ended up not fitting between the frame and my firewall! I had to pull the whole engine out and have it cut off and replaced with a single collector.

Problem was that I paid to have an exhaust shop do it! Argh!

And do it again, the right way. Glad to see you got yours to fit.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for posting this. great photo documentation. that's going to make things alot easier on us when we try it, assuming we don't have robd's problem. i wonder if there's a difference in the clearance on first and second gen 4runners? definitely something else to think about. thanks again- john
Old 03-03-2008, 03:27 PM

where in Tucson are you, I go down there frequently, maybe i'll have to stop by.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jason4X4
where in Tucson are you, I go down there frequently, maybe i'll have to stop by.
this is kind of a nomadic swap. i'm removing the 3.4 around 22nd and pantano. from there it goes to my work(dodge and ft lowell), where i will be doing the timing belt and water pump, oil pan and dipstick, spark plugs and wires, and hopefully the crossover fitting before i even remove the 3.0(only driver). we have a big shop with a polished concrete floor, rollup door and forklift(aka. engine hoist). since the housing market croaked, we're not using that shop for work at all. i'm going to try to make the stay there as short as possible just in case business picks up. once the 5vz is in my 4runner, i'll be towing it to my house(glenn and campbell) to do the wiring and other stuff without having to feel pressured. so far it seems like the biggest hurdle is going to be scheduling. i can't get back to work on the removal of the 5vz for probably a week and a half, since i can only work on it over the weekend and the seller is going out of town this coming one. i was hoping to have it all ready to be pulled after working on it yesterday, but i got a horrible case of food poisoning this weekend, which had me throwing up from midnight till 6am saturday night. i wasn't going to let anything stop me from starting, but i did get there an hour and a half later than i wanted, and had to leave by a certain time. still, i feel like i made decent progress for the time spent and physical condition of myself. anyway, hopefully the engine will be at our shop by the 16th. you're welcome to come check it out if you're down here on a saturday or sunday in the few weekends after that. input from someone who's done one of these certainly couldn't hurt. i'll let you know for sure when i get the 3.4 relocated. take care- john
The following users liked this post:
dbittle (05-10-2020)
Old 03-26-2008, 12:28 PM

GREAT INFO!! I have been doing this same thing on all of my swaps.
The crossover pipes are ALL the same on Tacoma's and 4Runners from 1995.5 to 2000 then they went to the double wall set up as seen in the above pictures.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

GREAT THREAD! - Subscribed!! Just about to tackle my 3.4!

Quick Reply: Build your own 3.4 crossover pipe