Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Help with buying a reliable & affordable 4x4...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with buying a reliable & affordable 4x4...

Hey guys,
I used to have a 94, 2wd, 3.0, automatic 4-Runner. It was a gas GUZZLER, so I recently sold it. I've always been into 4x4 and love hitting the trails. I have a budget of @ $10,000. I drive about 1500 miles/month... mostly highway. I also like driving a SUV as the ride height is definitely a plus. Currently driving a 2000 civic (which gets over 30mpg), but I miss driving a SUV. Here are my options the way I see it:

1) Keep the civic for all the miles and buy a cheap 4x4... many options out there (90's geo tracker, jeep wrangler, or a late 80's 4-Runner).
2) Sell the civic & get a 98-00 4-Runner (but I've read that even the 3.4 only gets @19mpg on the hwy)
3) Was looking at trucks on craigslist and came across this: http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/3144373844.html

Is it worth the money, and will it be reliable to run 1500 miles/month, or will I have to keep the civic as well? Please help with my dilemma!!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 PM

option 1 is my favorite
Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by BadaBoom!
option 1 is my favorite
im leaning towards that as well, but then again buying a 3rd gen would mean only one car to maintain and pay insurance on. The 5000 or so you could sell your civic for would buy alot of gas and maybe a few mods
Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
85 is nice, I've seen that... It's been on there for sale for DAYZZZZ! He's asking a lil much, but surely could be talked down(then again..... maybe that's why it's not sold, as he wont budge?).... It's gonna use a lil more gas, ya know? lol... And yet, if it's gonna be a second/wheeling mostly rig.... WOW, it's a nice one! Talk about 'bells and whistles' and all the goodies that a crawler wants! lol.... But I've actually seen better deals on SAS's.... and I've been told SAS rigs are a better choice in some ways because most often the stuff's under there are all much newer than the 85 that's been 'hi steered', etc., etc., etc... OH, and you'll have to deal with that gray seat thing, ... WOW that's annoying! hahaha, ....JK, not a big deal at all.. that's what COVERS ARE FOR, right?

My buddy just bought an 89 4Runner SAS'd with a Mercedes Turbo Diesel in it... Thing is LOADED, every option, OBA and all the goodies as well... And he paid 6K$ for it, with receipts for the motor being VERY recently fully rebuilt and even still under warranty.

REALLY depends on what you wanna drive every day. If you have to ditch the civic to get a NICER 4WD.... Hmmmm... Do you have to have SFA?

I agree with them.. #1 if your Civic is dependable... If you don't have to have SFA or SAS... You could find an IFS First Gen 4Runner for 3K or so that's VERY clean. Not a SHOWROOM RIG, ready for inspection as though it just came off the lot, lol... But nonetheless CLEAN and loaded and with a 22RE that's been rebuilt maybe even. Definitely would be my choice if I was watching the bottom line, etc.

Saw a SICK Samurai the other day, ....... Lifted on Toyota Axles and 33's, 2.7(3RZ) and LOTS of extras.... 3200$. Hey, you said, GEO TRACKER, so can't laugh at the Samurai, right? hehe.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM

Option 1. Get a 4Runner and drive it on weekends only or a day or two a week.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Having a second car/ truck on insurance is good for a discount as well, and some times will lower it. Because your looking for reliability I see no need to get rid of the honda, you got that part covered.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I was actually thinking that keeping the civic is a good idea as it’s reliable and that’s what’s needed. IF I did have just one truck (lets say a 99 4-Runner) and I happen to break something on it while off roading… I’ll be in trouble.

ChefYota 4x4, funny you mentioned the Samurai… I actually had one while back in my home country of Sri Lanka (an 86 with a 1.3L)… but over there it’s called a Suzuki Jimny. I want a hardtop though, as it’s nice to be able to take stuff and lock it up if necessary. Are there hardtop Samurai’s in the US? Also, in other countries they have the newer Jimny (1998 & up I think), but I’ve never seen any in the US. I’ve had bad luck over the years with carbureted engines, so wanna stay with fuel injection. I definitely want a 4-cylinder, light 4x4 that can seat 4 people. Can I get anything decent for @4-5k?? Samurai, Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker, 80’s 4-Runner, or Jeep Wrangler… which one is best when it comes to reliability, good after market support, affordable parts, and off road capability?? Keep in mind I also want to have AC and drive (on the highway) to wherever I’m going to play in the dirt!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
+1 for option 1

+1 for option 1.
Get a decent first-gen 4Runner and enjoy restoring it, if necessary. Civic for DD.
Learn what to look for from the forum first then total budget for purchase AND restoration of $5000. Use the rest of you 10K for a vacation

Option two is fine -3rd gen is best for reliability, ground clearance (1999?) but:
1) They stopped making manual trans in later years.:
2) You have no redundancy; What would you drive when doing your mods?
3) Not as good MPG as first-gen. Gotta project your fuel expenses, and compare with option 1

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-14-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Option #1 and buy #3..that thing is set up and after building a similarly equipped truck I know you can dump a ton of money building a truck.
I am currently in the market of a 4 cyl beater gas saver as a daily driver. My trekker gets towed (won't pass smog) and my Dodge CTD is a frigging battleship..
Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM

[quote=dropzone;51959587]Option #1 and buy #3..that thing is set up and after building a similarly equipped truck I know you can dump a ton of money building a truck. quote]

I know what you mean... even if I get a good deal on a 85-88 4-Runner for lets say $3k stock, I'm sure there will be lots of work to do. Afterwards, getting a lift, winch, tires, etc, etc may even cost me more than $7500. What would be considered a good deal for the 85 Runner in #3??
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Here's a LC for 2500$... needs a trans...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...194425773.html

An 89 4Runner project? .....

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3136303601.html

I agree with DZ in large part..... Something like that red one, if it has all you want on it.... That could be the way to go. Just make sure it's all recent work and that everything on it works/functions and for that kinda money?>>> Might just spend a Hundy or so having it gone over, mechanically? (I have a buddy who will do that, a Japanese Motors Guru/Especially older Toyotas)...

Have fun and keep us informed!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:24 PM

I've seen them like in #3 sell from anywhere between 4K and 10K.... Depends on how nuts the guy is, lol. A good price? I think 6K$ is fair. Not an expert on fully built 85's.... 4crawler, DropZone, many others would know better. I saw this one for 3400$ the other week(might have been less, I can find it)... SAS'd 86 with TONS of mods/work done, all kinds of papers... Needed a HG but was still running, not really steaming bad yet..........

He'd chopped the whole back off, LITERALLY, lol.... But it was trail ready(beside the HG) from what he said.(Yeah, I know, lol). He did say "Look it over as much as you want".

Another toy not far.........

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...189658102.html

Another, EFI...........

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3204543732.html

Another 85 Xtra Cab.... Motor is toast......

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3177719584.html

Here's an example of a guy who went, 'higher'(?) ......

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3105378282.html

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-14-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did something sort of similar. I've been driving a 2001 Honda Prelude, but wanted a second vehicle so I could haul bikes, have something like more of a "beater" (my Prelude is nearly mint), and give me a fall back vehicle in case I want to wrench on one or put it in the shop for a bit.

I got a 88 4Runner. I don't have to stress about getting things fixed on the 4Runner or Prelude right away since I have the other to drive around, and if I need better gas mileage or long-distance comfort I'm not stuck in a 25 year old truck on 33" tires.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
If the red one is the one I have seen on pirate it is pretty nice. If ygetou could get it for under $6k I think you would be doing good. However it is still a 27 year old truck. Any old car/truck you get may have potential issues.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:10 PM

Yota,

Thanks for posting up all the options! The only one I would consider is the 89 4-Runner (http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3136303601.html). Not sure if I want a truck that’s not running and needs so much work.

I have always wanted a Land Cruiser… specially the 97-98 models which are actually quite inexpensive (5-8k), but I can’t handle the kind of gas mileage it gets. It’s like 12-15mpg- city/hwy!! As mentioned earlier, whatever it is, it has to be a hardtop and I would like to have AC in it in case I take friends and family along!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Already been said but.. Option 1. Both will be easy to maintian and cheap to fix if something happens to break. The Land crusiers are nice but like you said, the MPG does suck and the aftermarket isnt as big as the 1st gen 4runners... Theirs tons out there, hell it took me about 9 months to find the one i wanted for the price i could afford lol Ether way, its a yota and itll treat u good if you treat it good!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM

Hey guys I just joined tonight because I'm looking for advice on maybe trading for a 94 ext cab 22re 5spd with 235k and never been rebuilt Here is the ad: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3239468260.html Is 235 to much? also the air needs fixed which i know isn't too expensive but would it be worth trading this for?: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3203534494.html I need something with better gas mileage and this is almost exactly what I've been looking the miles and the air are my only concerns. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyPacMan18
Already been said but.. Option 1. Both will be easy to maintian and cheap to fix if something happens to break. The Land crusiers are nice but like you said, the MPG does suck and the aftermarket isnt as big as the 1st gen 4runners... Theirs tons out there, hell it took me about 9 months to find the one i wanted for the price i could afford lol Ether way, its a yota and itll treat u good if you treat it good!
Good perspective ........

Honestly, my best input I can give, which Army in part shared.... PATIENCE! If you CAN wait, WAIT! They are out there... And heck, if you're interested in something from the rust free areas like L.A., and are willing to drive if you can have someone check it out, etc... Might be your best bet, either way. There were rigs I've had that I'd wished I'd waited for the "KEEPER" that I REALLY wanted, ya know? Was able to sell them all... but one in particular cost me around 20 hours work to get back to 'sell-able' where I wouldn't lose my shorts, as it took a crap on me around 500 miles in.(Good ole HG Sealer ) lol. Fixed the HG and I was good to go.. But saw other problems therein that would have simply put, 'MADE IT NOT WORTH IT'! Ya know?

I'm personally a fan of getting something fairly reasonable, very stock, and maybe with a blown motor... then starting fresh with stuff YOU CAN TRUST and KNOW will last you through a long/trouble free journey that you plan to enjoy it on. I went through my fairly cherry 87 and pretty close to restored it for around 5K$(bought it for 1700$, IIRC, totally stock). AND, i drove the crap out of it for 157K trouble free miles from the date of that 1700$ purchase til the point of 'Yotatech taking over my life', which caused "Toyotaticulitus", and thereafter a "never looked back" approach to just trying to do things right the first time.. Fully done suspension, the right way, with Much OEM and some modified by reputable Mod'tech Vendors.... And, the bill would have been around 2K less if I hadn't used a TERRIBLE, formerly well respected Machinist to rebuild the first motor, which ended up having to be a paperweight on the lower end side of things(crank, block, just kept the rods and pistons and ended up having to FULLY rebuild the SAME HEAD that was rebuilt).....

You have to do what you feel most comfortable with... And honestly? We can only share our personal experiences... But things like a Ready to Go Putney's Motor or likewise... Maybe a Trans rebuilt by a VERY reputable shop(not that you can't find one already rebuilt and still under warranty.. or just 'good to go' with a bit of miles on it)..... They'll get you and keep you on the road for a LONG time, with plenty of guarantees to back them up, ya know? Personally? I can't imagine rebuilding this motor again unless finances will allow nothing else... I would DEFINITELY swap in a rebuilt 3RZ or something of the sort. More power, more mileage and such.... If I found a 3.0 rig that's VERY clean with a bad motor.... I would MOST likely do a 3.4 swap, as mentioned....

Whatever you spend of that 11K... IMHO?>>> Make SURE you're spending it once for a long while.... or you will be P'D OFF! lol. (Oh yeah, the wifey who agreed to this all might be ticked off too! haha). Jk...

VERY anxious to see what you find/decide to do. MANY options with the budget you have... Just have to weigh out what are the most important factors(Ie. Mileage, Power, Torque, 4WD Capability, Comfortable on the street, ALL of the above? hahaa...).. then start putting it together or get blessed enough to find one that's already been put together well/properly.