General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

speed in water

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question speed in water

I am working on mastering the water crossing these days. Just trying to figure out the right speed between too much water and getting the plugs wet and not enough momentum to get across, any suggestions?

I think I am going into the mud puddles too fast an sucking moisture into the air intake and then bogging the engine down - and therefore bearing getting through the puddle.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Gangus had a pretty good write up on how NOT to do this.. Something about driving to the edge, engaging 4-lo, and flooring it..
Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 AM

Keep the bow of the wave infront of the truck.

or build a snorkel
Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Some good links on my page:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/index.shtml#WaterCrossing

Generally entering is the worst case, as you are nose-first and w/ stock air intake up front, that is bad news. Once in, you either go really slow if it is a rocky bottom and you can't see what big rocks (or holes) are coming up. Otherwise, generally try to get a bow wave formed up front but with a low point right in front of the truck. You don't want to go faster than the bow wave as you will punch through the crest.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:41 PM

Placing a tarp across the front of the vehicle minimises water entering the engine bay by creating a bow wave, provided forward momentum is maintained. The result is less water for the radiator fan to spray over the ignition system, less chance of water entering the air intake and less likely for the fan to propel its way through the radiator.

Diesel vehicles are usually better for water crossings as you do not have the ignition system to worry about. Water in the ignition system usually results in a stalled engine and not actual engine damage, though this is of little comfort when you find yourself stuck in the middle of a crossing. Depending on the water depth, its advisable to climb out of your window rather than open the door and flood your carpets. To minimise stalling from a wet ignition, it’s a good idea to spray all the ignition system with water repellent beforehand.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you have a diff breather extention right?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 AM

Why do you spend so much time driving in rivers and streams? Very occasionally it may be necessary to cross, but in that photo it looks like you are driving along rather than across the river. Its a truck not a boat. Stay out of the rivers and the fish will thank you.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 22re-efer
Why do you spend so much time driving in rivers and streams? Very occasionally it may be necessary to cross, but in that photo it looks like you are driving along rather than across the river. Its a truck not a boat. Stay out of the rivers and the fish will thank you.

Well, I see your point, however, there are situations (I personally have been in a few) where there was a need to drive a (albeit, short) distance up or downstream to reach the other side, as it was the only place to get back up on terrafirma.

Deckplate users: MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE PLATE BACK IN! Saw a guy forget once, and it locked his engine... :pat:
Old 12-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 22re-efer
very mean
Old 12-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Not mean....Pretty sound advice.
Whether you want to admit it or not, our internal combustion engine vehicles are full of toxic chemicals and heavy metals. Only cross streams when necessary and use the shortest distance possible. It's always a risk that you're gonna hit a deep hole and hydrolock it. Drive sensible, slow and use 4wd to avoid tearing up the bank when coming out.

Also keep in mind that flowing water doesn't care how macho you or your 4Runner are. Everytime it rains here in the southwest we see pics of people who thought their tough truck could make it across the arroyo that is now a raging river. Water weighs 8 lbs. per gallon and will take your vehicle with the flow.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
you have a diff breather extention right?
That is next on the list
Old 01-04-2006, 07:38 PM

There is a truck route here to get to our favorite spots. It is a mountain stream that zig zags across the truck route. The angle on that picture is a little misleading. Most of our river crossings are straight across. There are next to no fish in this river because the federal government allowed the power compant to redirect the whole river into a lake for a power station. This destroyed thousands of years of native land, the main pass into Banff national park. There is no way for the fish to travel as the river goes through a stainer diverter. The river reforems downstream from natural springs. It turns out that the ghost river was originally a lot larger than the bow river. now it os smaller - what a shame humans can do to thew enviroment. By the way it is a game warden truck rout that goes back to when the land was first discovers by white men. Before that it was used by the natives for travel & trade between tribes.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:52 PM

how about making a removeable snorkel setup. for 2nd gens the intake is behind the headlight so how about when goin into water disconnect the intake before the airbox and run a pipe (whatever material of choice) up towards the fire wall and turn up or sideways near the top of the hood minimizing any h2o intake. yes the air may be warmer but at least its dry and will go through the filter. Anyways just spitting out ideas.

and maybe for third gens you could either come in at the elbow or seal it off and connect through the deckplate mod?

Last edited by Godzilla; 01-04-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by celica
That is next on the list
Go change your diff fluid now then...canadian tire or ace is still open so go get the fitting and hose and zip ties for your breathers. I'm willing to bet you sucked alot of water into your diffs.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Godzilla
how about making a removeable snorkel setup. for 2nd gens the intake is behind the headlight so how about when goin into water disconnect the intake before the airbox and run a pipe (whatever material of choice) up towards the fire wall and turn up or sideways near the top of the hood minimizing any h2o intake. yes the air may be warmer but at least its dry and will go through the filter. Anyways just spitting out ideas.

and maybe for third gens you could either come in at the elbow or seal it off and connect through the deckplate mod?
My first snorkel was removeable:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri....shtml#Phase-I

I later changed to a hidden, in-fender version:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#Phase-II

and ultimately will go to an external safari snorkel. Water is not so much an issue for me, but I want to get the intake up into cleaner air when driving on dusty roads.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:08 PM

4Crawler.. the first snorkel was exactly what i was thinking! nice! the benefits of a snorkel without making it permanent
Old 01-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

It worked OK, but I did notice a power loss from sucking in the hot air under the hood. So you had to be sure and remove it before hitting the road.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:57 AM

No way, I drove across that river. We were going to Black Rock mtn.

I did not have a differential breather extension and I did get water in my front differential, change the oil!!!

Bill