Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

SO the local Auto shop wants $1,200 for my 90k maintanance service? RIP OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SO the local Auto shop wants $1,200 for my 90k maintanance service? RIP OFF?

so im at 88,886 miles on my 01 4x4 ext cab yota. I took it into the local Auto place hoping to find a little more specialty and know how on what i really NEED to do for MY truck based on mileage and a really good inspection of MY truck's functionality. Instead they just kind of seem to throw the manuals recommended full 90k service as the manual states it and say they want roughly 1200 for it.I have never had any issues whatsoever other than replacing brakes when they went bad and replacing a TPS sensor. I take constant looks under the hood for any leaks, tears and anything out of ordinary. So far it purrs and i just want to take some good maintanace measures. Basically i wanted to
-Oil change
-Radiator/coolant flush
-Tranny fluid flush
-power steering flush
-timing belt
-Spark plugs(if needed)

They said that if i replaced the timing belt i would need to do the water pump as well?? i had that done about a year and a half ago in a body shop after a minor accident. but they said a new timing belt can cause leaks on a used water pump?????? any thoughts on the price?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-19-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you sould of told them if they use a new gasket on the water pump it wouldnt leak after they took it off. it sounds like a rip off to me.
-Oil change = $25 cheaper if you do it
-Radiator/coolant flush = $25 easy to do yourself dont know what shops charge
-Tranny fluid flush = ? not an auto man but i heard you shouldnt flush it just change it
-power steering flush = $15 just did mine it only took around 20min. if that
-timing belt = ? not for sure for yours
-Spark plugs(if needed)= $30 or so easy to do
so $105 + your tranny and timing belt
O and $1100 labor
Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ajoebob
you sould of told them if they use a new gasket on the water pump it wouldnt leak after they took it off. it sounds like a rip off to me.
-Oil change = $25 cheaper if you do it
-Radiator/coolant flush = $25 easy to do yourself dont know what shops charge
-Tranny fluid flush = ? not an auto man but i heard you shouldnt flush it just change it
-power steering flush = $15 just did mine it only took around 20min. if that
-timing belt = ? not for sure for yours
-Spark plugs(if needed)= $30 or so easy to do
so $105 + your tranny and timing belt
O and $1100 labor
x2 for sure
Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I think your quote is pretty accurate. Timing belt/water pump replacement go together. Timing belt is $$$ at the dealership.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-19-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So you had your water pump replaced 1.5 years ago, but not the timing belt? Why was the pump replaced? Did the accident cause it to start leaking? If it was leaking, then the belt should have been replaced at the same time if it got wetted with coolant. If the belt was replaced at that time, then you don't have to do it again now.

Anyways, people typically replace the WP at the same time as the timing belt because most of the labour for WP replacement is already done when you replace the timing belt, so it doesn't make economic sense not to replace it at the same time. If the pump was installed correctly with the new metal/rubber gasket 1.5 years ago when it was done, then there's no reason that it would start leaking when you install a new timing belt.

Timing belt and water pump replacements (as with most other maintenance on our trucks) are expensive because of the labour... not the parts, so your quote for the above is probably not way off (maybe a few hundred higher than I'd pay if I was getting a shop to do the work). It's insane how much money you can save if you can do the work yourself.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds about right. labor isnt cheap.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
If your truck was in an accident, they didn't replace the water pump, as the water pump is under the timing cover. If the actual pump had been replaced, there would have been a lot more damage to the engine.

What they replaced was called a "fan support bracket" or a false water pump bracket. Its run by the accessory drive belts, but all it is, is a support bearing. It is not a pump. $1200 for everything sounds about right, considering how they flush the systems, and all the work being performed. Flushes are not just the drain and refill you can do at home. Flushes actually clean out trapped garbage that is polluting your system, then refills with new clean factory fluid.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
you also don`t state where you live!!!

There is quite a bit of difference in labor rates around the country.

also in this day and age you should be aware most shops will follow service guide lines sent down from higher ups. So they can go to a document so stating this is what needs to be done at x mileage.

This way if you refuse some of the service items to save money. You can`t come back and say they forgot to top off the headlight coolant and the bulbs burnt out.