Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Lockers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
A rear locker can be a little dicey on snow/ice since if you do break a tire loose, you will have both tires spinning, so you need to be real easy on the gas. I ran a rear Detroit for years and if you were on any sort of side slope, like even the normal crown in the road and starting off on any sort of hill, the rear end wanted to slide down the side slope. So if you were in say the left lane at a stop light with a vehicle to your right, the crown of the road would take your rear end towards that vehicle when you started out, at least until the front end started to pull. So I would usually try and be aware of situations like that and let the vehicle to the right pull away from the stop before I took off. And on sharper turns, you only have the inside tire pulling, the outer is coasting or if you give it a little more gas then the inside tire is spinning and the outside one is pulling, so that can be a little tricky to control if you are not expecting it. But for normal straight driving not on side hills, it is OK.
Ok good. As of right now, I can only lose traction if I honestly feel like being a jackass. even in rain with bald tires, I dont loose traction unless i decide to drive like a nutcase.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at 4 wheel parts center earlier today, got a quote for tru trac, LSD, $280 for the rear, $270 for the front. No cables, No hoses. Decent reliability, good if your not turning huge tires with alot of hp
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The instability of a locker is what scares me. Esp the side slope part. I can't imagine stopping on a snowy, or muddy hill with a side slope, and sliding off the side because of a rear locker.

Would 4X4 alone be enough to counteract this?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes, open front and rear axles work fine most of the time. Advantage is if you have one tire spinning on an axle, the other tire is not (so helps hold you from sliding sideways) and as long as the tires on the other axle can pull you forward, then you can move. Problem with open/open is if you have say both passenger side tires on ice and the driver's side tires on pavement, you are stuck as both the tires on ice will spin and there you sit. Limited slip works well as you can play with brake biasing to help in a situation like that:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml

Or get a selectable locker (ARB or e-locker) and turn it on when you need it. Since getting ARBs on my '85, I am surprised how little I need to use a locker, most of the time they stay unlocked. For snow, I often find locking the front and leaving the rear open works well. Open rear adds stability on side hills and locked front lets me point that end where I want to go and then the rear tires just follow along.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

What about a locked rear, and open front?

Would the 4 wheel drive help counter the back end sliding enough to only slightly notice it?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stormin94
What about a locked rear, and open front?

Would the 4 wheel drive help counter the back end sliding enough to only slightly notice it?
Well when I had locked rear/LSD front, all was fine once the front end started pulling. But you still have that initial side slide to deal with. Let the clutch out and the rear end wants to go sideways and the front goes forward, but it takes some feet of rolling forward to pull the rear end back in line. So you need to be aware of situation where that will happen and both be prepared for it. It is not unmanageable, you just need to be ready for it. When I first had the locker installed, it was kind of "neat", but as the years went by, it got old. Now that I have selectable lockers, it is much nicer to drive. Only thing that would be better is if they ever got that electric locking True Trac available for the Toyota axles. It if a gear driven LSD, just like the True Trac and if you hit a button, it is 100% locked. That would be the best of both worlds, since most of the time an LSD is really nice to have, I miss having one up front, especially when the front ARB is locked. Steering with the TT up front was perfect, but lock the ARB and turning becomes optional
Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

So, it's pretty much predictable once you get used to it?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stormin94
So, it's pretty much predictable once you get used to it?
Mostly, but you need to be aware of the terrain and conditions and recognize where you might have issues.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM

so whats the best to go with then? since im about to order. from PORC... should i get a

full/full time locked rear? limited slip rear? selectable rear like arb or elocker. or leave it open?

full locker front, limited slip front, or selectable arb.elocker?

once again... mostly highway and city use. with wheeling just about every weekend.
wheeling included bogged area, winding hills, ect...
Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Go with the LSD Truetrac rear (period).
Old 01-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Well when I had locked rear/LSD front, all was fine once the front end started pulling. But you still have that initial side slide to deal with. Let the clutch out and the rear end wants to go sideways and the front goes forward, but it takes some feet of rolling forward to pull the rear end back in line. So you need to be aware of situation where that will happen and both be prepared for it. It is not unmanageable, you just need to be ready for it. When I first had the locker installed, it was kind of "neat", but as the years went by, it got old. Now that I have selectable lockers, it is much nicer to drive. Only thing that would be better is if they ever got that electric locking True Trac available for the Toyota axles. It if a gear driven LSD, just like the True Trac and if you hit a button, it is 100% locked. That would be the best of both worlds, since most of the time an LSD is really nice to have, I miss having one up front, especially when the front ARB is locked. Steering with the TT up front was perfect, but lock the ARB and turning becomes optional
Roger are you talking about that Eaton ECT'd LSD/e-locker deal? Man, I wish they would make that for our rigs.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=4Crawler;51345238] Only thing that would be better is if they ever got that electric locking True Trac available for the Toyota axles. It if a gear driven LSD, just like the True Trac and if you hit a button, it is 100% locked. That would be the best of both worlds, since most of the time an LSD is really nice to have, I miss having one up front, especially when the front ARB is locked. QUOTE]

That would be heaven. The Detroit Locker can be a little annoying on the street but still very managable. I wouldn't want anything less than a locker back there though. It sure tames the tough trails and reduces breakage and abuse to the drivetrain.
Only thing I would avoid is a spool if you are driving on the street on a regular basis.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Roger are you talking about that Eaton ECT'd LSD/e-locker deal? Man, I wish they would make that for our rigs.
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ock/index.html
Old 01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runner dude
so whats the best to go with then? since im about to order. from PORC... should i get a

full/full time locked rear? limited slip rear? selectable rear like arb or elocker. or leave it open?

full locker front, limited slip front, or selectable arb.elocker?

once again... mostly highway and city use. with wheeling just about every weekend.
wheeling included bogged area, winding hills, ect...
Well, see what others in your area use of similar terrain. If you are having no trouble getting through now, stick with open/open. If on-road handling is most important, then a limited slip or selectable locker would work well.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Roger, that thing would be sick!! I just don't know if they'll ever be able to work it with a drop out third. Why not for the IFS front though, it does have a cover they'd just have to machine the cover the same as the OEM cover.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so if going with just 1 aussie locker, would front or rear be best for 70%dd 30% off road rig?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

rear.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Yup, rear