03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

HELP 05 tacoma with 09 LED tail lights installed ABS warnig light (c1249) HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP 05 tacoma with 09 LED tail lights installed ABS warnig light (c1249) HELP

Hello all,

I have a 2005 Tacoma and recently installed the new 2009 Tacoma led taillights (from my dealer) I was told they would work just fine. After install, my ABS light keeps coming on after a couple minutes. After stopping the vehicle, turning off the truck, waiting a minute, starting it back up the ABS light is gone, but eventually comes back on. I took it to a guy I deal with at the dealer and he put the code reader on it and code C1249 "open in stop light switch circuit" is present. The led lights come on and stay on, turn signals work, along with the back up lights ( everything is working as it should)

Here's what I am thinking: since it is an 05' and I just put in the 09' led tail lights, the computer is not getting the resistance of the brake light bulbs and it is thinking that both tail light are burnt out.

Can I put a resistor or something inline with the brake light wires to trick the computer into thinking that there is bulbs installed? Do I need to change the brake controller? Any other suggestions?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jim
Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 PM

f'in a I was going to do this too. I am surprized there are not aftermarket LEDs out yet.

good luck
Old 12-12-2008, 08:03 AM

O.K., now that I have been able to drive the truck for a week now, I have discovered that the ABS light only comes on the instant I turn on the right turn signal.

I drove the whole day yesterday without using the right turn signal and the light stays off. This is a great troubleshooting victory for me. Now I can narrow my search to the right tail turn signal instead of the whole system. I am assuming there is a short somewhere in the housing or the bulb. So I will have to check that out. If no luck, then I will replace the right rear tail light with the stock one and theoretically it should work fine. I will post my findings when I get a chance.

Jim
Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 PM

still no luck! It seems that the abs light still comes on only when I use the turn signals. It's funny though, the light doesnt come on when the brake lights are on while signalling, but as soon as I take my foot off the brake the abs lights come on right away.

Any suggestions or ideas PLEASE HELP!!!! Anyone else with this problem??????
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless it shuts off the ABS somehow I'd deal with the light or get the dealership to find out.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 PM

when the abs light comes on, the system thinks there is a problem and disables the abs to keep from furthering damaging systems. Just a thought, The led's may not be drawing enough juice and the abs system thinks there is aproblem because not enough current is flowing through the system.?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:56 PM

Im pretty sure if you search on here you might find an answer with similar issues with LED conversion kits. I remember there is a resistor you have to put inline for the voltages to read properly.

On another note, please get it fixed, driving around and not using your turn signals isnt safe for anyone.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM

Just from my experience... on my 4Runner when I switched everything to LEDs (on the brake system) my abs light would come on after a minute or so driving. It's wierd to me that it comes on only when you signal. Coincidence maybe? I think you're right, it thinks that both brake light bulbs are burnt out. Solution? Put in a resistor from v-leds inline with any of the brake bulbs. Should fix your problem.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

I have a thread about this that I started not too long ago, I never even saw this thread - even after searching.

The flasher (what controls the blink-rates) on the '05-'08 is different than the one on the '09's.
You can get the flasher from your local dealer for probably around $50 - it's a plug-n-play item I believe.

When I order my '09 tails I'm going to have them replace the flasher and according to them, there should be no problem.
Also, the turn signal and back-up lights are still standard bulbs in the '09 tails - the stop/running lights are the only ones changed to LED's.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 03-12-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 AM

Hello all,

Thanks for all the responses. I have tried trouble shooting this on and off for the last while, with no luck. I bought some load resistors from a local electronics store, I connected them, and they didn't seem to work. I checked them to verify that they were hooked up correctly and the were getting hot and reading 12 volts on my meter. Since then, I have given up.

Recently I have taking my canopy off my truck to put on my Palomino 600 pop up slide in camper. I have been religiously forgetting to put the third brake light bulbs back in. ( when I bought the canopy, the dealer pulled the three bulbs out of the third brake light as not to get a bright reflection off the front of the canopy at night while braking) A couple days ago I remembered to reinstall the three bulbs. Well, holy man, the ABS light DOES NOT COME ON anymore. Its been three days and still no light at all. So, as it turns out, the computer was getting the signal that all brake lights were out.

It so nice to not have that stupid ABS light on!!!!https://www.yotatech.com/forums/imag...s/headbang.gif

So I just wanted to update everyone with what I know so if this happens to you, you will have a little more knowledge in your pocket.

Cheers,
Jim