Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horrible Herculiner experiance!! Very disapointed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible Herculiner experiance!! Very disapointed.

Well, i planed on herculining the bottom half of my 4runner and then painting over it. But then the shi$ hit the fan.

These are the steps I took
1. Sanded really good, no shiny spots or nothing.

2. Cleaned the area and masked off and whatnot.

3. I stired the can for a good 2 minutes, until it didnt' need it anymore.

4. As soon as I dumped the stuff into the pan, all of the rubber settled to the bottom. So I stirred it up in the pan, but didn't help. Some times I'd get some of it on the body, and it would be extremly thick on there. It was looking like shi$, so I tried a regular foam roller. Same thing. It was bad enough that I just scraped it all off. Cleaned again with thinner and thats how it sits now. I don't know what i did wrong .

I've seen some of your DIY Bedliner stuff and it turned out looking good. It looked horrible on there, it was like a .25" of rubber in some spots. Any help or did this happen to anybody else.

I wouldn't recomend this product to anybody.
It gets a 0 out of 10,( 0 being worst)
Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Wow, I don't know what happened to ya. Sorry about your trouble.
I bought the Hurculine kit for $89 at Autozone,the kit came with a roller,I preped and cleaned with aceatone.It has been great everywhere except where I spilled brake fluid all over the rear drivers side floor board(which ate the stuff up and made it bubble.Did you get the kit or just a can?
the kit comes with the roller pads that help things even out...
It had to be either product or prep(the roller).
Old 05-11-2007, 02:35 PM

so outta everyone elses awesome review you give it crap because you didnt do something right?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:52 PM

I don't think he gave it a crappy review. He is trying to find out where he went wrong. That is why most of us are on here. Not to bust someone's nuts because he ain't sure how to do something. Don't be a _ _ _ _!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I used the Duplicolor bed liner on the bed of my VW pickup and it worked well. I probably applied 3-4 light coats to build up good coverage. It is still intact 7 years later. The Duplicolor stuff is a thinner, smoother coating (less rubber chunks) than the Herculiner stuff.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
anytime you use herculiner, and manage to keep it off your hotus is a good application as far as im concerned.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
anytime you use herculiner, and manage to keep it off your hotus is a good application as far as im concerned.
Hootus X2
Old 05-11-2007, 03:09 PM

You can't give something a poor review if you lack the skills to use it. Thats like saying you don't like a certain beer because you can't get the cap off. yeesh..
Old 05-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe you got an old can of it or something. All I've used is the Duplicolor bed product and got good results with the rattle cans. The quart can I tried was harder to work with because it dries so quickly you hardly have time to work with it.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being that I have done what you are doing - That sounds about normal to me.

If you used a roller other than what comes in the 1 gallon kit they sell, that is a big problem. The only roller that works is theirs. I tried all kinds of other stuff.

You say in your prep work that you cleaned it to a non-shiny surface, i have always(i have gone through about 12 gallons of Herculiner) used a D/A sander and went to bare metal and then used acetone or mineral spirits to wipe it down a couple times before rolling the goo on.

I always leave the herculiner in the can and dip into it, it will settle and start to thicken extremely fast. Keep the lid on it and stir a lot. You will get bigger forearms this way and the women will love you for it anyways.

I have "dapped" it on with a paint brush(I cut the bristles to about an inch in length) and that worked "ok". I would only use the roller from herculiner for anything that will be seen.

I usually only have 2 layers of it on the exterior and it is a good 1/4-3/8 inch thick. This is what i would consider to be normal.

Plan to be a mess and have the crap on you for a while.

I usually let the stuff dry for about 2 hours before removing my tape.

I think if you search my user name you will see my red 94 pickup, i did the rockers, interior, and bed....

Hope That Helps because I love it on mine - Its as durable as a rock.

Katie
Old 05-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by justinking060310
Being that I have done what you are doing - That sounds about normal to me.

If you used a roller other than what comes in the 1 gallon kit they sell, that is a big problem. The only roller that works is theirs. I tried all kinds of other stuff.

You say in your prep work that you cleaned it to a non-shiny surface, i have always(i have gone through about 12 gallons of Herculiner) used a D/A sander and went to bare metal and then used acetone or mineral spirits to wipe it down a couple times before rolling the goo on.

I always leave the herculiner in the can and dip into it, it will settle and start to thicken extremely fast. Keep the lid on it and stir a lot. You will get bigger forearms this way and the women will love you for it anyways.

I have "dapped" it on with a paint brush(I cut the bristles to about an inch in length) and that worked "ok". I would only use the roller from herculiner for anything that will be seen.

I usually only have 2 layers of it on the exterior and it is a good 1/4-3/8 inch thick. This is what i would consider to be normal.

Plan to be a mess and have the crap on you for a while.

I usually let the stuff dry for about 2 hours before removing my tape.

I think if you search my user name you will see my red 94 pickup, i did the rockers, interior, and bed....

Hope That Helps because I love it on mine - Its as durable as a rock.

Katie
the pictures in your thread about herculining your truck no longer show up, atleast not for me
Old 05-11-2007, 06:16 PM

hmm... let me see if i can find them and i will repost them...

EDIT - I lost most of the pictures of that truck in a house fire in January - Here are the 2 I have, they are not very good and are far away.

The Bed and Rockers are done on the red toyota

Sorry for the crummy pictures, its all I have now...

Kat

Last edited by justinking060310; 05-11-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:28 PM

I used a textured bedliner roller. I think it was the same roller in the kit, but I didn't buy a gallon. Right next to the can of herculiner. I didn't take it to bare metal but that won't matter, right?

Maybe it was drying really fast on me. The roller didn't fit in the can, I tried that first.

Maybe I could have got a bad batch, yeah right.

well anyways I'm taking it back. maybe get another can and cut roller so it fits in can or switch to a gallon of the ☺☺☺☺.

When I rolled it on there were spots of super think then just the black paint that was left.

Do you still think I did somethink wrong?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Adawg_08
I used a textured bedliner roller. I think it was the same roller in the kit, but I didn't buy a gallon. Right next to the can of herculiner. I didn't take it to bare metal but that won't matter, right?

Maybe it was drying really fast on me. The roller didn't fit in the can, I tried that first.

Maybe I could have got a bad batch, yeah right.

well anyways I'm taking it back. maybe get another can and cut roller so it fits in can or switch to a gallon of the ☺☺☺☺.

When I rolled it on there were spots of super think then just the black paint that was left.

Do you still think I did somethink wrong?
i think you just got a bad can, on your can there should be a batch number, dont buy another can if it has the same batch number...also im assuming you bought a quart, they prolly dont sell as much as gallons, thus it prolly sat on the shelf for a long time, and well paint/bedliner doesnt last forever...
Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 PM

it is very chucky but not to the point where you would ever have just black paint -- there are big chucks and little chunks in it though... I think your prep should be fine -

other than that - I dont know what else to say
Old 05-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I recall when I did my Duplicolor liner I did it in the shade and on a fairly cool day. For sure avoid hot weather and direct sun when putting that kind of stuff on as it won't give you any time to work it on the surface.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:42 PM

It was in a garage with concrete floor. It wasn't hot or cold, nice day to work on it. Rather be wheelin' nobody wants to. I'm around the Pittsburg area.

I'll give Autozone a call tommorow and see if I can trade.

Thanks for all the help