86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze motor mounts.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze motor mounts.

Hey, my motor mounts are going and now that i have time to replace them, i am going to. Can i do it with the motor in the truck? i.e. how far would i have to take it apart to change them out? also has anyone used other ones other than toyota factory motor mounts?

thanks

alex
Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may be able to use a floor jack and a piece of 2x4 against the transmission bellhousing to lift the engine enough, but if you have access to an engine hoist it'd be a heck of alot better. You can access the lower bolts and nuts through the wheel well, and it might not be a bad idea to use a long extension and a wobbly to take the bracket off the block, but that might not be necessary.

As for using aftermarket, I haven't so I can't comment on that one, sorry.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
You could probably jack it up from the oil pan. And I would think you could do it without removing the engine.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats a dang good job you got going on there but yea you may have to take or move some stuff out of the engine bay but you should just be able to jack up the motor enough to remove them. GO OEM!!! Buy factory mounts don't screw with no after markets get OEM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I guess I should clarify: a hoist would just make it easier to lift it a lil, absolutely do not have to remove the engine.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
You may be able to use a floor jack and a piece of 2x4 against the transmission bellhousing to lift the engine enough, but if you have access to an engine hoist it'd be a heck of alot better. You can access the lower bolts and nuts through the wheel well, and it might not be a bad idea to use a long extension and a wobbly to take the bracket off the block, but that might not be necessary.

As for using aftermarket, I haven't so I can't comment on that one, sorry.
Originally Posted by toylocost
You could probably jack it up from the oil pan. And I would think you could do it without removing the engine.
Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Thats a dang good job you got going on there but yea you may have to take or move some stuff out of the engine bay but you should just be able to jack up the motor enough to remove them. GO OEM!!! Buy factory mounts don't screw with no after markets get OEM.
what do you mean by a good job?

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Yeah, I guess I should clarify: a hoist would just make it easier to lift it a lil, absolutely do not have to remove the engine.
Alright thanks guys. I think i will be able to pull it off. I hope my neighbor up the street still has his engine hoist! I could do the jack method. might try that first. I going to go oem anyway, as i have found them to be much better quality.

thanks guys

alex
Old 06-27-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good job meant your gonna have to do some work man.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
good job meant your gonna have to do some work man.
yeah, it is going to be a pain the ass, but i am going to save a lot on labor.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:47 PM

Definitely hoist it, much smarter and safer IMHO..

Driver's side remove the airbox, associated intake hoses, and the alternator so it clears up space. You'll need to undo the dipstick mount, remove the dipstick so you can swap the mount. (*Undo your mechanical cruise control if equipped.)

Passenger side remove the battery and consider if you want to unbolt the electrical box (*and if equipped electronic cruise control). Obviously a harder side to do, sometimes it actually helps to go ahead and pull the intake just to have a little more room. Sometimes removing the starter also gives a little more room to get to things.

Either way, have at least 4-5 snap-on wobble's so you can get to the center bolt.

FWIW the 3.0 mounts are basically the same as the 22r models just with different metal hoods, so if part availability is in question shoot for 22rt mounts or worst case 3.4 mounts.

Last edited by KelleyC; 06-27-2009 at 11:49 PM.