Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 22RE Hard Start in the morning NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1987 22RE Hard Start in the morning NEED HELP!!!

Greetings,

I have my beloved 1987 22RE that has a hard start issue. I've scoured this web site and the web in general looking for a solution but it seems no one has my exact problem.

When I start my truck in the cold morning it takes a bit........I've nailed it down to giving it about three quick turn overs and then giving it a good start up......with a bit of a struggle it sputters to life.

After it is started in the morning it starts just fine through out the day......runs like a champ!

I recently did a tune up getting her ready for the dreaded California smog inspection. I changed the sparks, wires, distro cap and rotor, fuel filter, catalytic, air filter and cleaned the throttle body. The hard start got worse after doing all of this. Any suggestions?

I had changed out the cold start valve last year as well when all this started to happen.....it was dead......it helped a little but not much.

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
yotatech needs more information from you. what you have briefly described is covered exactly in multiple threads. what is different in your case that is not covered in other threads?

cold start valve? no such thing on a 22re, so you didn't change it.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:12 AM

Oh sorry, that was the "Cold Start Injector EGR Thermo Switch" that I replaced not a valve.

The difference in the other threads is that others seem to have trouble starting all the time or trouble after their initial start once the vehicle is warm. My issue is just in the morning with no other issues after the vehicle is warm. That seems like a specific issue.....or is there a thread I missed.....I've read through a few.......not saying I read all of them.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:29 PM
FGZ

Does your issue improve or change if you jump your fuel pump to bypass the AFM? 4crawlers website describes how to do this.

I'm currently having the same issue, but it comes and goes.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by GrimWolf
Oh sorry, that was the "Cold Start Injector EGR Thermo Switch" that I replaced not a valve.

The difference in the other threads is that others seem to have trouble starting all the time or trouble after their initial start once the vehicle is warm. My issue is just in the morning with no other issues after the vehicle is warm. That seems like a specific issue.....or is there a thread I missed.....I've read through a few.......not saying I read all of them.
if that is the problem, it points to the cold start system, but it might not be the injector itself. it's easy enough to verify that the CSI operates; remove the two bolts that attach it to the plenum, but do not loosen/touch the fuel line banjo fitting. gently pull out on the CSI with the fuel line still attached, until you can see the tip if the injector. on your first start of the day, have someone briefly turn the key to "start" while you observe the end of the injector. if it sprays fuel for about a second or so, the injector works.

wally
Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 PM
FGZ

Wally does it have to be below a certain temp for the CSI to operate?
Old 10-08-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Sorry... Double post, Fingers faster than internet
Admins, please delete

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-08-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by GrimWolf
CSI timer switch is different from the Bimetallic Vacuum Switching Valve that controls the EGR.

...no other issues after the vehicle is warm....
No, you are not alone.
Temp-sensitive. All temp-senders AND THEIR MOUNTING THEADS BOTH ON BRASS AND ON BLOCK need to be cleaned AT LEAST ONCE EVERY 30 YEARS
Ask me how i know:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52339700

Originally Posted by FGZ
Wally does it have to be below a certain temp for the CSI to operate?
Yes, Clay.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 AM

Thank you wallytoo and RAD4Runner, I finally got around to looking at the CSI once again. Did the test and no fuel "spit", looked at the brass bolt and the plug was not seated so no signal The metal clip is missing.........any one know where to get those Toyota clips that keep electrical sockets in?
Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 833 Likes on 558 Posts
You mean you solved it?
Forget about the metal clip. They are more trouble than they are worth. Wrap a couple zip ties around it in a criss-cross manner.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:20 AM

Yeah......the wire just was not seated into the brass bolt.......HAHA! Like 3 months of WTH??? Okay so maybe some smaller zip ties then? Thanks!