84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Pics from under my valve cover, and a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics from under my valve cover, and a few questions.

Pulled off the valve cover on my 85 today. i was getting a terrible and progressing rattle, and figured my valves are hitting the cover, or the chain and guides are just FUBAR. so i wanted to look and see if i should re-schedule my timing chain swap for alittle bit sooner. anyway, must say, i was very very impressed with what i saw.

start off with the valve cover. no signs of a milkshake here. only problem i saw was that on the back pass. side, the gasket was getting alittle dry. Pictured below, i have a fresh new one ready to go in.

and NOO, i didnt steal that sign....

next off, heres a look at everything. only noticeable problem i saw was that the camshaft lobes were alittle worn. i definatly need a new camshaft.

(shouldve tooken a close up of the lobes)

next up on the list is the timing chain. turns out it wasnt bad at all. there are some "railroad tracks" on the head, and timing chain cover, but i beleive that was caused by the previous timing chain.

and heres a picture of the chain itself. i was pulling on it in the picture, and thats as far as i could get it. it was very tight....almost too tight.

Now heres where my questions come in. i'll start off with the highest priority first.

coming out of the wiring harness on the intake manifold was this green plug. what does it plug into? i noticed it was just hanging there. its located almost right under the cold start injector. i have a feeling its for emissions stuff, or maybe its only used in other engines, and not applicable to mine. the 22re.

and now for the next one. what is this rubber thing and what does it do? and where do i find a new one? mine is very dry, and pretty much crumbling. i have an idea its to gain access to the camshaft sprocket bolt, but i want to get a yay or nay on that.

and now, last, and the least important (pretty much just want to know out of curiosity). what is this hole made for? its on the passengers front side of the head, and it has a "blockoff" panel bolted into it on the other side. so bassicly its a hole to nowhere.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rubber thing is a half moon seal. Replace it.

That hole is for carb'ed trucks. The fuel pump goes in there and works off the camshaft.

Nice looking engine still.

Dunno about the plug.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM

The half moon seal came with my valve cover gasket when I did mine. If you dont get an answer on that plug tonight Ill look at mine tomorrow morning. If you are gunna adjust the valves I set mine at .07 and .11 instead of .08 and .12 as suggested by another member here. It seems to run quieter.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Did you set them to .007 and .011 cold or hot? I ask this because I just set mine to .008 and .012 hot and they are a little louder than I'd prefer but it runs great.

You can get a Fel Pro kit that has new rubber grommets for the valve cover bolts, a valve cover gasket and both half moon gaskets BTW.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by pruney81
Did you set them to .007 and .011 cold or hot? I ask this because I just set mine to .008 and .012 hot and they are a little louder than I'd prefer but it runs great.

You can get a Fel Pro kit that has new rubber grommets for the valve cover bolts, a valve cover gasket and both half moon gaskets BTW.
Cold. Ran super quite for about 3 months. Now after my exhaust mods. I'm getting same chatter as before the valve adjustment. I have new valve adjusters from LCE(http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...5-7ff2d46bd5be) sitting around, I think its time they go in...

Last edited by sc87yota; 08-03-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:06 AM

I got a couple of half moons that are in better shape than that. I can add them to the pile/box o' carbed goodies...
Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Subscribed for the plug determination
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM

i actually didnt check my valve lash at all. Looking back now it wouldve been the right thing to do, but i was actually just peeking under there for the timing chain.

will get to it one day, thats for sure.

Originally Posted by Resto-noob
I got a couple of half moons that are in better shape than that. I can add them to the pile/box o' carbed goodies...
thanks, just add it in to my tab
Old 08-03-2011, 04:31 PM

and for the $1,000,000.00 question. anybody know what the green plug is for?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey man.....check out my "THREAD B" in my sig. I will search my pics to see if I can come up with a plug answer.

CONCERN:....I see no timing chain guide(s).....do you?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM

I wonder if that plug is the same as the un-used one on mine. IAMSUPERBLEEDER explained it once to me but it boiled down to it was a non-used wire for my truck (may have been something like a Cali-emission thing or something)

your's....does not look the same....maybe different years???

Last edited by 92 TOY; 08-03-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM

Good eye 92! I was thinking the same thing last night, I couldn't see if the drivers side guide was there or not, but I just figured it must be a bad angle with the pics.

Is there a guide there?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
and for the $1,000,000.00 question. anybody know what the green plug is for?
Looks similar in shape to the plug for the A/C idle up VSV:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ine_Pix/8.html

Although mine ('85) has the other gender plug in the harness.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 PM

92toy: glad you pointed that out. i also just figured the picture was on a bad angle, but if you look close it looks like the chain goes straight down to the crank gear, without having that little inward curve caused by the guide.

chain is super tight though i got a screwdriver and poked outward down there and it barely budged.

as for the green plug, looks as if its the same one, but with a more "modern" connection end. my truck is the 22re-c so it is (well should be) Cali. complient.

im checkin out 4crawlers link now
Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 PM

actually FAIL.

no, i do not see a guide on the drivers side.

somehow my mental image showed the curved guide on the drivers side and the straight guide on the pass. side.

92toys writeup and pictures just pointed that out to me. and diagnosed me with dislexia
Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 AM

listen man.....you understand most everything I know, I learned right here on this site and I wanted to pass it on via whatever help I can give.....If my thread helps out you or anyone, that is the BEST reward....totally.

that chain will be "tight" on the driver's side but centrifugal force will want it to go outwards......the railroad tracks you see are a warning shot that you are on your way to failure and the chocolate milkshake. get on this now, while you are still only looking at a front end build or front end and head gasket build and NOT a grenaded engine. your oil pan NEEDS to come off to get your chain guides out....no debate.....it NEEDS to be done.

no matter what your experience level, this can be done.....considering me, of zero mechanic knowledge has now been able to pull off 2 rebuilds (mine and my son's).
Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Sounds like you've got bigger issues now...but when you replace the half moon gaskets, put some rtv where there sit on the head. Especially on the back one (back against the firewall), if you don't rtv it, you'll have a good amount of oil, over time, down the back of your engine & onto your tranny bellhousing.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
time for a rebuild!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-pics-232381/
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What 92 TOY said is spot on!

You can get a timing chain kit with metal guides HERE:

http://engnbldr.com/

Call them - they have a "Front End Kit" with timing chain, gears, timing cover, water pump, oil pump - all for way cheaper than you think.

And yes, you can do it. I did this a couple years ago for the first time, and with preparation and patience, and lots and lots of reading and re reading, you can do this.

The hardest parts will be:1) Breaking the crank pulley bolt loose
2) Getting the oil pan off and on
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Philbert
What 92 TOY said is spot on!

You can get a timing chain kit with metal guides HERE:

http://engnbldr.com/

Call them - they have a "Front End Kit" with timing chain, gears, timing cover, water pump, oil pump - all for way cheaper than you think.

And yes, you can do it. I did this a couple years ago for the first time, and with preparation and patience, and lots and lots of reading and re reading, you can do this.

The hardest parts will be:1) Breaking the crank pulley bolt loose
2) Getting the oil pan off and on
i have to dissagree with #1. just put a breaker bar with impact socket on the pulley bolt, pull the "efi" fuse (or ignition wire), and start the truck for a second, just a tap. very easy, i've done it twice now, and it works flawlessly

#2 i completely agree with.

Quick Reply: Pics from under my valve cover, and a few questions.