84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Newbie needs help with '85 22r....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs help with '85 22r....

Hey everyone i'm new to this forum, and found a lot of great information on here. Let me tell you a little bit about my truck. It's a 1985 Toyota 22r pickup. I have had it for a little over 2 years and have had no problems with it until today. Yesterday i noticed that the coolant was running low so I added some 50/50 coolant that I had at home. And also noticed that the radiator cap was corroded so I replaced that as well. I drove it to the store and it ran great. I drive it to work this morning and it starts billowing white smoke. From the exhaust I believe. needless to say I shut it down and let it sit. Any suggestions on what it could be?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Blown HG.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 AM

I can't remember whether white smoke is oil or coolant in the exhaust, though I can assume that it's coolant since that was your issue, but either way it sounds like a blown head gasket. There are instructions all over for head gasket replacement, it's a day's work if you do it right.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Blown HG.

Thanks for the quick responce waskillywabbit! I checked the oil dipstick, and it was good, checked the oil cap and no signs of radiator fluid, checked the radiator fluid and that looks good. But I do have some leaking from my spark plugs......How big of a job is this?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Random
I can't remember whether white smoke is oil or coolant in the exhaust, though I can assume that it's coolant since that was your issue, but either way it sounds like a blown head gasket. There are instructions all over for head gasket replacement, it's a day's work if you do it right.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
Thanks for the ideas Mr. R........I am leaning towards Blown Headgasket as well, I am not too mechanically inclined, so how big of a job is this?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by clg82
Thanks for the quick responce waskillywabbit! I checked the oil dipstick, and it was good, checked the oil cap and no signs of radiator fluid, checked the radiator fluid and that looks good. But I do have some leaking from my spark plugs......How big of a job is this?
Even with a blown HG, you may not get coolant in the oil. It's possible to blow the gasket to a coolant passage only and have it dump directly into the combustion chamber. This is more likely to develop into a more serious oil/coolant mixture blow though if you run it for too long.

I've never pulled a 22r head, but I did pull my Jeep 2.5L head in about 30min. The longest part is probably cleaning the gasket material off all mating surfaces and torquing everything in the correct pattern and to the correct specs. A good torque wrench can be had for ~$60 nowadays, and beyond that you have to figure the price of a new head gasket, as well as timing chain cover and valve cover gaskets. Not sure what else... maybe head bolts too.

Search around the forum, I'm sure there's more help to be found elsewhere. I still consider myself a n00b
Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Random
Even with a blown HG, you may not get coolant in the oil. It's possible to blow the gasket to a coolant passage only and have it dump directly into the combustion chamber. This is more likely to develop into a more serious oil/coolant mixture blow though if you run it for too long.

I've never pulled a 22r head, but I did pull my Jeep 2.5L head in about 30min. The longest part is probably cleaning the gasket material off all mating surfaces and torquing everything in the correct pattern and to the correct specs. A good torque wrench can be had for ~$60 nowadays, and beyond that you have to figure the price of a new head gasket, as well as timing chain cover and valve cover gaskets. Not sure what else... maybe head bolts too.

Search around the forum, I'm sure there's more help to be found elsewhere. I still consider myself a n00b
Thanks mr. random, i plan on towing it back to my house tonight and pulling one of the plugs out....that should give me some kind of indication of what i'll be dealing with....I hope.....Hopefully it's nothing to catastrophic!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:49 AM

You'll need to check all 4 plugs. If you only pull one, and its not the cylinder the gasket is blown on, it won't tell you anything. An easier way to tell is to take a good whiff of that white smoke its blowing...if it smells sweet, then its deffinately the HG. The good news is its not too hard to do yourself, and isn't very expensive to fix. Also, probably should replace your timing set while you've got it apart. There is tons of info out there to walk you through the whole thing pretty much step by step, a little searching online and you'll have all the technical info you need to do it in a day, maybe a weekend depending on how many beers are involved.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Ok well here is an update guys, finally got around to pulling the head, and the inside of the head looks like ....it's dirty as hell......i pulled all four of the spark plugs and only two of the cylinder heads had water in it....the gasket also looks like ....I plan on scraping off the old gasket and replacing with a new.....do you think there is anything else that I should replace while i'm in their?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Just the timing stuff like what was already mentioned. How many miles on the engine? Your over halfway to work it takes for a total rebuild.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Just the timing stuff like what was already mentioned. How many miles on the engine? Your over halfway to work it takes for a total rebuild.
Well i'm not sure how many were on the rebuilt when I bought it but after the lady had it rebuilt it sat for 5+ years because the granson she bought it for didn't like it...so that's where i came in....I bought it for $800.00....oh and I am going to post some pictures as well let me know what you guys think.....
Old 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Ok here is pic one let me know what you think...we only had water in the first two heads.....
Attached Thumbnails Newbie needs help with '85 22r....-photo.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 12:34 PM

here's pic number two......
Attached Thumbnails Newbie needs help with '85 22r....-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 07-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Did you have water in the block at all when you pulled the head?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clg82
it sat for 5+ years because the granson she bought it for didn't like it...
Dumb, kid. Oh well, his loss is your gain

Good God that head is ugly. Make sure the mating surfaces are sparkling clean. If you had to make short cuts on cleaning any kind of gasket surface... this one is NOT it. Razor blades and laquer thinner all around. And if water is sitting on top of the pistons, soak it up and spray some WD on the cylinder walls and piston tops.

Also, you should take the head down to a local machine shop for routine inspection. You can get a pressure check, sandblast (lipstick on the pig), and the bottom surface shaved for roughly 100 bucks.

Last edited by vital22re; 08-03-2010 at 09:53 AM.