Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Pillar Gauge Pod

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pillar Gauge Pod

Does anyone know if they make a gauge pillar pod for 1st Generation Trucks? Has anyone modified a newer model gauge pillar pod and installed it on a first generation truck? Has anyone custom made a gauge pillar pod for 1st generation trucks?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I considered them too but after some good bit of searching I didn't find any direct fit pillar gauge pods out there. I've looked into the modifying some aftermarket pillar pods as well. The problem that I notice is that the pillar is so narrow in our trucks making it tough putting a 2" gauge pod in that narrow space. I'm planning on doing something similar to your center console but fabricating it so that it goes from an armrest like your's, dropping down to intergrate the shift boots and then back up to mount where the factory volt and oil pressure gauges pods mount. The console space between the shifter and the heat vents will house four 2" gauge pods. That's my gauge solution.

How many and what type of guages are you looking to add?? I thought you had everything you need in that truck!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
pretty sure no one makes one .. just not enough demand anymore ..
I would consider it , but would need at least 10 committed buyers

Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM

kinda like bumpers for first gens!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by kawazx636
I considered them too but after some good bit of searching I didn't find any direct fit pillar gauge pods out there. I've looked into the modifying some aftermarket pillar pods as well. The problem that I notice is that the pillar is so narrow in our trucks making it tough putting a 2" gauge pod in that narrow space. I'm planning on doing something similar to your center console but fabricating it so that it goes from an armrest like your's, dropping down to intergrate the shift boots and then back up to mount where the factory volt and oil pressure gauges pods mount. The console space between the shifter and the heat vents will house four 2" gauge pods. That's my gauge solution.

How many and what type of guages are you looking to add?? I thought you had everything you need in that truck!

I need to install an electronic NOS Pressure Gauge / Controller. I have the 2 1/16" gauge / controller, 2 sending units (I run twin bottles) and the selector switch. I do not want to cut-up my dash since it is all original, I do not want to drill into the steering column cover for the same reason. The console is full with the NOS control system but I can still mount the selector switch there (tight).
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Corey, you've got two people between Don and me. Now we just have to find 8 more!

Don, how visible/accessible do the gauge and switch need to be?? I'm thinking that if you're looking for a temporary fix, you could mount it on the side of your factory lower gauge pod. Wouldn't need to drill anything if you just use the bolt on the driverside that holds the pod to the bracket to mount the gauge bracket. You could probably angle it up to still see it fairly well. Could be a temporary solution.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 AM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts
Not to familiar with the first gens dash but is there a chance to get a 3 pod dash housing like the wrx's have and shaving it to countour the dash? I know they make universal ones but just an idea I guess, I thought truckpillars made one but they start at 84 and up
Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by kawazx636
Corey, you've got two people between Don and me. Now we just have to find 8 more!

Don, how visible/accessible do the gauge and switch need to be?? I'm thinking that if you're looking for a temporary fix, you could mount it on the side of your factory lower gauge pod. Wouldn't need to drill anything if you just use the bolt on the driverside that holds the pod to the bracket to mount the gauge bracket. You could probably angle it up to still see it fairly well. Could be a temporary solution.

The switch is no problem. The gauge can be temp mounted like you said and I might do that. I have time yet to figure it out because it is going to be awhile until they finish my Polished SS dual bottle mount for underneath the truck bed. Plus All of the plumbing has to be changed on the chassis.