Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

83 Frame Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 Frame Repair

Well guys the day has finally come for me to address my rusty frame issue, I noticed that the top of the bed was rubbing the back of the cab. I have a really thick bed liner and its been holding my bed together for 2 years now, but it was really rusting away underneath, after removing the bed and jacking it up the frame started to twist, I was able to use two jacks and get it up at the same time and now its resting solid (somewhat) I started removing the bed mounts and made templates to have cut so I can box it in, might put some C channel in to make sure the front stays straight, going to have to remove my front leaf spring mount to box in the frame then weld it back, anyone know if I can just buy a new generic mount? I've not fabbed much before. It's a work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails 83 Frame Repair-dscn3575.jpg   83 Frame Repair-dscn3574.jpg   83 Frame Repair-dscn3573.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
ouch, that is some serious rust but not the worst i have seen on this forum...as far as mounts, you will more than likely need to make some as I am not aware of any any premade mounts, even NOS.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM

ocdropzone,

Thanks, I know its bad, but I just hate to put it out to pasture, other than the frame and the bed, the rest is in great shape and it only has 130K miles, although it sat for a period of time and I think that killed the frame. I was looking on the sponsors page and wabfab has hangers for when you put on bigger springs and need to relocate the front hanger, $30 for a pair so I'm going to order a set. The worst part so far has been removing the 27 year old shackles. I swear the bushings and pins have become one! I have 3 of the 4 out, one is left and has been soaking in everything from PB blaster, liquid wrench and kerosene. They are toast and not reusable so I will order a new set as well. I'm not sure my budget will let me put a flat bed on it as soon as I would like, but that gives me time to plan it out. I just need it to be drivable as quick as possible. I dropped of the templates I made with a local fabricator and should have them back by Friday they will cut them out and I can weld them back in. I cleaned up the passenger side today, but after spending 2 hours on the shackles I didn't get the front hangers cut off like I wanted. Seems like there is never enough time or cool air.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Well, made some progress today, I got the rest of the old bushings out of the leaf springs, cut off the rest of the bed mounts and cleaned up the frame rails and also ordered all my parts. I picked up a Hobart welder last weekend, I needed to add a dedicated circuit to the garage for it, also picked up a 25' extension cord (to Hobart's specs).

Garage is attached, PO of the house had already had a pipe going through the foundation wall, was blocked off, opened that up and ran conduit through and wired up my plug. Welder is just 110, but I can always upgrade later. Got too dark to hit the main power and wire up the main breaker box, get it tomorrow when there is still some natural light.

Templates come back Friday. might get to start welding this weekend, will post pics when I start.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:13 PM

small update

Well guys I've been really busy and as always, as soon as you start something, 20 other things jump up, but I think I'm well on my way to getting the frame done.

My first road block was with the shop I went to for my metal, I took in my templates and explained what I was doing, they guys all smiled and nodded and quoted me a price and said come back in two days, so two days later I go back, they haven't cut the metal because the thought about it and doubled the price, now I'm happy they didn't cut the metal and then double my price but I do not think it was fair, so I bought just the metal.

As it turns out these guy were not the ones cutting it but just farming it out, so I found the guy who was going to do it for them and he cut it for $40 so now I'm back in business and will be supporting his business, when I buy the metal for the flat bed, guess this guy must have clued these other guys in on it cause I ran into them at the part store and they were trying to "cut me a deal" on the metal for my flat bed, but sorry no dice fellas that ship has sailed.

Ok, thanks for letting me rant, I have already removed all the bed mounts in the front and ground off the front hangers for the front of the leaf springs, I also removed what was left of the rear cross member that the spare tire winch was attached to, I removed the winch and have cleaned it up and plan on reusing it, I had some 3" c-channel cut to fit so that I can place them facing each other and then weld a plate over top to mount the winch to. I had a circle cut out of one of the channels to allow access to the winch, that has provided a lot more stability to the rear section already!

I've mainly been working on the drives side for now, I removed some of the inner metal to allow access inside the frame and welded in a piece of c-channel, it supports the frame area under the cab mount is and also right under where the leaf spring hanger will be, not sure if it was needed, but I had it and thought it would give me more piece of mind when going down the road.

Next, I welded on the outside template and top strap, I'm currently cleaning up the inside template metal, I had them cut with a little wiggle room, just to make sure, with a little work they will be ready to weld up tomorrow, I might take a day from work to get ahead some, I hate only having one truck on the road right now, getting up early to drop of the wife and then drive to work is getting old fast.

I have a couple pics, I should take more, but its hard to stop and shoot and go back at it, but I will try more.

Keep you updated as I get more done.
Attached Thumbnails 83 Frame Repair-dscn3655.jpg   83 Frame Repair-dscn3656.jpg   83 Frame Repair-dscn3784.jpg  
Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 PM

I wanted to thank WABFAB for the parts the new hangers for the front of the leaf springs look awesome, parts came quick!! Thanks Brian
Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck. Seems like a daunting task.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
progress looks good
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM

I know "no pics, it didn't happen" but I finished up, boxed the frame in with 3/16" steel, moved the front leaf spring hanger. used the stock lights for now. just turned them and mounted them with cheap angle brackets. Painted it with "Miracle Paint" like POR 15 has a really hard finish, but you gotta use gloves. Pics to follow when I get a chance.

Over all I'm happy with it, just need a flatbed now, want metal but might be wood.