Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

82 22r question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 22r question

Hello all! Im new to the forums. I have the opp. to buy a 82 short box 4x4 that they claim ran good when parked BUT.... its sat with the oil pan off and the front axle removed {?}. Bein in AZ its dry and very dusty out here so dirt can get stirred up easy. My question is is it safe to buy this affter its bottom end has sat open to the elements??? I know its anyones bet, but I would like a few opinions. They said its been this way for app 3 months. They only want 400 so im def considering it!!! Thanks all, Alan
Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I'd say $400 is worth it regardless. Can't tell you if that hurt the engine or not...I guess if it's not rusty, and you gave it a good cleaning before putting the pan back on & firing it up, it could be fine. I don't have any experience with this, so I'll just say that if it were me, I'd buy it, expecting that there's the possibility it needs a new bottom end, but hoping not. $400 is a good price.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Lightbulb

Thats what i figure too, is there anythin i can do to make sure when it's started, the bottom end isnt completly dry?? {rod bearings?} lol or things of the sort that can become dry while exposed. And thanks for the reply, much appreciated
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 PM
cdg

First my opinion, I think the engine would be fine if it was sitting on a concrete pad. If it has been sitting over dirt, you may want to inspect it carefully. It may still be OK. The reasonsing is the humidity tends to trap in dirt after rain and then evaporate (upwards). This tendancy can cause rust. It will especially manifest it on vehicle frames and lower body panels. It may still be fine - the desert is very dry.

Second, my recommendation on the project as a whole:

All I am going to say (not to be a jerk) is to advise you to be brutally honest on all fronts when considering a project. Don't minimize the expenses associated with ressurecting an old dead machine - even a Toyota.

I picked up my '80 Toyota in similar shape. "It ran 3 months ago, it drove fine, it will start again - all it needs is a battery and a starter".

That was just the start. I'm now into the little "Ugly Truckling" for a little over a grand in parts. $1,000 in PARTS - no professional has touched this truck except me and the guy at the tire store. IT is almost done except for some wiring issues and some switches - I figure less than $100 to go if nothing else goes wrong....

You can shave some bread off that price using junkyard parts. However, the truck is 30 years old and has more than 150,000 miles on it. They don't last forever and certainly can't be expected to be trouble free at this point. Once you start driving it, problems will surface. On mine the clutch master cylinder, brake booster, fuel pump, and driver's front wheel bearing were all discovered after I got the truck driving.... Any owner who would allow his truck to sit outside without an oil pan is dillitary to say the least. Such an owner has probably not maintained or regularly serviced the truck and as result, exepct to have to fix years of neglect...

OK, so I hope that didn't make me sound loony or anti-restorationist. I love wrenching on my 1980. It is fascinating how simple and easy most jobs on it have proven to be. It harkens back to a time when cars were simpler and people worked at a slower pace. I drive my 1980 daily. It is cheap to insure, it offers good fuel mileage all things considered and is a blast to drive. Not to mention the pride of ownership and the number of old guys telling me stories about how amazing their old HiLux was when I pull up to the gas pump.

But even though the 1980 is now in good enough shape to be trusted, I have another vehicle (my '92 Cherokee) lurking just around the corner, ready to jump in when the next major thing on the old truck takes a dump.

That is my piece... You can take it or leave it. Treat it as a project though and be sure that you know what you are doing. Having the mechanical expertise (or a good friend who does) goes a long way... Learning as you go can be useful but sometimes costly.

I hope this doesn't come off as snide or condescending. I hope you choose to take on this project and ressurect another old truck from the ashes. It is one of the most rewarding (and at times frustrating) expereinces one can have I think...
Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 PM

Thank you for the positive feedback , I feel the same way on the truck. I love these 79-83 Toyota's and have always wanted one {a highschool buddy ran the wheels off his 83 and its still running like a champ}. As far as mechanics go Im not too intimidated by what I might be looking to do if I get it {rebuild,etc} as I just put a new 22re in my 93' 2wd p/u, which I enjoyed doing because I like to know my vehicle as well as I possibly can. It was the best learning experience of all my 18 years lol If all goes as planned I'll have the truck in my yard later this week and maybe I can add a write-up/rebuild thread to the growing collection like I always read on here. Well I can dream at least
Alan
Old 09-22-2009, 05:26 AM

I totally agree with cdg. I bought my '83 thinking it needed a clutch...well, now I've got a new engine, clutch, transmission, interior, wheels/tires, fuel pump, carbuerator, exhaust, ignitor, coil, distributer, and I'm about to replace the rear diff this weekend.

SO...in the end...well I wish I had looked a little harder before buying my truck, but I don't really regret it, and I certainly don't regret how well I know my truck, how much more I know how to do/fix, and how much it is MY truck.

Hopefully some people with more experience will speak up. You want to clean off the bottom end, but I wouldn't think spraying it off with water is a good idea...but maybe some kind of cleaner that doesn't contain water. Brake cleaner? Somebody tell him if that's a bad idea. You could spray the hell out of it with brake cleaner or something like that, let it dry, then use a lube designed for pre-lubing rebuilt engines for their first start up. Seal it up, put in oil, start it, let it run until warm, then change the oil.

Like I was saying before, for $400, you could part it out on this site and get your money back, so really it's worth it. If you decide to get it "reliable", it could end up costing you as much as a used Tacoma. For me, I'd rather have this truck than a newer truck, so it's worth it, but not everyone feels that way.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:03 PM

Well if you need parts let me know and Ill see what I got. Im just a few hours north of you...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:45 AM

Red face

Well I got a few pics of the truck.... not too promising. Tho the body seems straight. These things are far and in between over here except its nice because when you find them most are rust free
Attached Thumbnails 82 22r question-3k03pe3l05q55pc5r39945e2bc386a5111db9.jpg   82 22r question-3k73p23l05q55pe5ra9940c6d104758e41e56.jpg  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 AM

Yikes man. That bottom end is sitting in the dirt. Really, there aren't many of them in AZ? I figured you guys had nice rust free older Toyotas all over the place down there. I guess I would say...if you're up for the challenge, and realize that you're probably buying what really is just a parts truck...$400 is still a decent price. It may look worse than it is...but looking at it, I'd say you need to be prepared to replace every mechanic part on it if you buy it.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Lol I was disappointed with how it looked, but I think its worth somethin. And we have some BUT they either look like that, or are someones DD and is impossible to get for under 2k $. Tho I actually found another, it needs a title.... but its in pretty good shape. I think that might be more worth my while. Its an 83 LB 4x4
Old 09-24-2009, 09:57 PM
cdg

They're not too uncommon out here. I would say though that it's hard to find one that hasn't been touched. Lots of redneckin' and rock crawlin' out here and often times you will find older trucks out here rust free but in badly torn up shape from years of offroading, abuse, or duty as "ranch" trucks. At least ones of the pre '84 vintage with solid axle seem to be this way... Seems like every 5th truck on the road out here is a Toyota. Gotta watch Northern Arizona too because our cars turn into rust flakes up here just about as fast as anywhere else in the rust belt... My 1980 was an orginal Phoenix truck but several years up north and it's developing rust around the tailgate hinges. If I keep my little '80 I will be carefully prepping it for paint and making sure I keep after the rust...