Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Amp/Antenna Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp/Antenna Wiring Question

OK, running to get the tools to install my new deck now. I was reviewing the wiring harness and information on the deck and I have a question.

I got a Pioneer deck, and it has 1 blue wire for the power antenna, cool, not a problem. I've got a power antenna in my Toy, but here's where it becomes a problem. I've also got a Amp/Sub I'm installing into the Toy from other vehicles I've owned. Now the wiring for the deck, states the blue antenna wire can be used to power the antenna OR a amp.

So here's my problem. I've got both, but only 1 wire. Can I wire them together, so it signals the Antenna/Amp together, or would this overload some circuit and I'm SOL.?

I can see several problems with this anyway, such as if I turn the Amp off it would lower the antenna, but I can deal with that for now.

Or, is there a way to signal the amp separate from the deck? I don't want to leave the antenna permanently up.

Or, do I just forgo the Amp for now until I get a whip antenna?

Please offer your advice on this.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:27 PM

signal them both there shouldn't be a problem.

Except that the ant. will not go down when you play a CD. Only problem with Pioneer head units.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:47 PM

That I can handle, I just didn't want it permanently up. Awesome, thanks for the quick response!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nathan - you can additionally wire a simple on/off switch into the antenna side to manually run it up or down. This is how I had mine set up since I hardly ever listen to FM.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:34 PM

OK, I may do that if I decide I don't like the antenna going up and down all the time.

Another quick question, and this may have been answered before, where is a good ground for a amp? It's on the back of the sub box, and I have a 3' ground cable, but I'm curious where a good ground is?

In my Jeep I used a bolt holding the rear seat in, is that a good ground on the 4Runner as well? Any other suggestions?

For the battery cable, I'm looking to drill a hole through the firewall next to the main harness, and use a grommet. Is this what others have done?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i grounded mine to the seat bracket, just amke sure your clean up the area really well. I used to have a pic but i cant find it, give me a few mins.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
found em.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Sweet, ok. I got the deck in, and ran the wiring to the back from the deck. Tomorrow when I have light again I'm gonna drill the hole in the firewall and run the power to the amp.

I know people bash Jeep all the time, but this process on my 4Runner is SO much easier than installing it in my Grand Cherokee was.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:22 AM

instead of drilling a new hole, i would just look for the stock grommet on the firewall and use that. no need to drill new holes if you don't have to. they are in different places on different vehicles, but many are up and to the right of the gas pedal. i've seen others on the upper right passenger side of the firewall.

(and as a jeeper myself, i certainly won't be bashing Jeep)
Old 05-17-2007, 08:19 AM

I definitely did see the grommet, but I didn't see any way to run the battery cable through there. That grommet is TIGHT around the wiring harness as it is now. How would I get another cable through there?

Or am I missing something? Any ideas appreciated, I'm not too keen on drilling through the firewall. The kit I got does have a grommet included, but, I'd still rather not cut the firewall.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:13 PM

i completely understand about not wanting to drill a new hole. it really doesn't hurt anything, but why do it if you don't have to.

anyway, i haven't seen your stock grommet, but i imagine above or below the wiring harness there is a blank section of grommet. take the tip of a razor blade and cut a small X in the soft material (you can always make it bigger if needed). it will allow the wiring to slide through with ease and it will seal back around the cable.

if there is no additional space, and i've had a vehicle where this was the case, a hole will have to be drilled and a grommet will have to be placed. if this is the case, of course check both sides of the firewall and place the hole as high up as possible.

Last edited by TXST8tj; 05-17-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 PM

No, that is an excellent idea. There is plenty of space around the grommet, and I will definitely look at doing that first. If I do it right, it should be tight enough to keep it sealed and not leak.

Thanks, that's a great idea.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:02 PM

no prob! the beauty of cutting the hole small the first time is that it will 'flop' back and more or less seal around the cable. i've done about a dozen installs and it has never failed me.

good luck and post some pics when it's all done.